Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2022, 18:54   #1

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40
Spectra 380c - 5ug Prefilter keeps Emptying

We have a Spectra 380c (same as Spectra 200c but with two feed pumps). We have All manual controls. It is fitted with both a 20ug and a 5ug prefilter. We’ve been at a dock for 6 months and have backflushed every 3 days since arrival.

Today I went to make water in expectation of leaving for the Bahamas within a week and system started up fine, each of the feed pumps run, the Clark pump begins its shifting, salinity begins to drop into normal range, but within a minute or two, the 5ug pre-filter housing empties of water and then air is introduced into the system. The 20ug continues to have water.

I removed hoses from dedicated through-hull and checked water was flowing. All ok. I even switched and tried another larger through-hull but it didn’t make a difference. I tightened all hose clamps and checked all valves were open and freely operating. I refilled the 5ug housing multiple times and restarted, but each time the 5ug housing would empty of water. Note that some water is still flowing over from the 20ug filter housing, but obviously not enough. Pressure gauges showed correct pressure until the housing emptied. Water production about 8gph until filter housing empties.

Hoping someone can help me with what I’m missing. This issue is not covered in the Spectra materials and couldn’t find anything online.

Thanks

Jason
SV Breathe
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 07:19   #2

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40
Re: Spectra 380c - 5ug Prefilter keeps Emptying

Problem has been solved. The issue said “air leak” to me the entire time. I disconnected and checked everything from thruhull through the filters with no success. Even tried housings independently with 5ug filter. Finally bought two new filter housings. Problem solved. Either there was some air getting in through the oring or I had microcracks in the housing. Either way, new housings solved the problem.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote