Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2018, 04:33   #1

Boat: Najad 373
Spectra Clark Pump stalled (380c)

Hi!
I have a newly rebuild Spectra 380c watermaker that have stalled. No ”shifting” sound or ”pumping” is heard from the Clark pump.

Log of events:
1. Rebuild of Clark pump
2. Installation of Spectra 380c system
3. System test
4. Calibration of system
5. Watermaker worked and produced water
6. A crack in End Cap appeared
7. Shutdown and pickled the system
8. Ordered new End Cap
9. Not used the system for some months and sailed from Scotland (cold waters) to Gran Canaria (warm waters)
10. Replaced the broken End Cap and Membrane in Gran Canaria by myself
11. System test
12. No leakage from End Cap

>>>13. Error: No ”shifting” from Clark pump and No water product. When increase pressure is applied in system the Feed pumps stops <<<

I.e the feed pumps are working, also cleaned and removed pre-filters to check system with as little resistence as possible.

Questions:
Is stalled watermaker system a common error?
How do I make Clark pump start shifting again?

Thanks
Jonas
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2973.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	179285

Name:	IMG_2974.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	179286
Segelplaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 06:21   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Spectra Clark Pump stalled (380c)

Hey Tellie, you here?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2018, 10:24   #3

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Jonas,

See if the Spectra Troubleshooting Guide helps you focus in on the problem. [I have found it useful several times with our older Santa Cruz Spectra model.]

Clark Pump troubleshooting begins on p10.

Cheers! Bill
Old 20-10-2018, 17:01   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

It is very rare that a Clark pump rebuilt by the factory and was working on arrival would stop shifting on it's own. But there's always a first time for everything. Who repaired the Clark pump after the end cap was replaced? The cylinder would have had to be removed to do this procedure. I'd pull the cylinder again and inspect the two "check valves" for proper installation/orientation. On older versions of the Clark pump that would have possibly been used on the 380C systems, if it's old enough, it's possible that there is a small black button on the side of the Clark pumps top block. This was there in case the older style pumps stopped shifting. The button could be pushed to start the pump shifting again. If not, the other solution would be to kink off the brine discharge hose quickly and release a few time to jolt the pump. I'm betting somewhat on the check valves. Feel free to contact me here if you have any questions.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 01:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
It is very rare that a Clark pump rebuilt by the factory and was working on arrival would stop shifting on it's own. But there's always a first time for everything. Who repaired the Clark pump after the end cap was replaced? The cylinder would have had to be removed to do this procedure. I'd pull the cylinder again and inspect the two "check valves" for proper installation/orientation. On older versions of the Clark pump that would have possibly been used on the 380C systems, if it's old enough, it's possible that there is a small black button on the side of the Clark pumps top block. This was there in case the older style pumps stopped shifting. The button could be pushed to start the pump shifting again. If not, the other solution would be to kink off the brine discharge hose quickly and release a few time to jolt the pump. I'm betting somewhat on the check valves. Feel free to contact me here if you have any questions.

Thanks, I’ll go for the Check valves and let you know the result. I changed the End Cap by myself.
Old 21-10-2018, 03:12   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

Tellie's forgotten more than I'll ever know about these things so I hesitate to chime in. From my troubleshooting guide, and also as suggested by Tellie:

Quote:
If the pump does not cycle but water flows through it, the problem is probably caused by a check valve that is stuck open. This can sometimes be solved by blocking the brine discharge and opening it suddenly to "shock" the system. Do not attempt this on systems with vane type feed pumps. If this doesn't work, see the Repair Manual for instructions on check valve service.
When you say "end cap" I'm thinking you mean the membrane vessel end cap rather than the Clarke pump end cap? Since you say you also replaced the membrane (plus I've had my own share of cracks in the membrane end caps - I now carry two spares)?

In that case is there any chance there's a seal/o-ring not in place/missing? I'm envisioning a scenario where there's equal pressure on both sides of the membrane because of a missing seal (brine seal or product seal o-ring). Could that cause the Clarke pump to not shift?
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2018, 03:17   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Tellie's forgotten more than I'll ever know about these things so I hesitate to chime in. From my troubleshooting guide, and also as suggested by Tellie:

When you say "end cap" I'm thinking you mean the membrane vessel end cap rather than the Clarke pump end cap? Since you say you also replaced the membrane (plus I've had my own share of cracks in the membrane end caps - I now carry two spares)?

In that case is there any chance there's a seal/o-ring not in place/missing? I'm envisioning a scenario where there's equal pressure on both sides of the membrane because of a missing seal (brine seal or product seal o-ring). Could that cause the Clarke pump to not shift?

Thanks, I have already tried the ”shock” terapy, did not work. The replaced End Cap was on the Clark pump.
Old 21-10-2018, 05:13   #8

When I move the Piston back and forth in center block, there is some resistence. I need to ”hold” the block with my feet, otherwise the centerblock is moving instead of piston only.

Name:	IMG_3007.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	179342
Old 21-10-2018, 06:29   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segelplaner View Post
When I move the Piston back and forth in center block, there is some resistence. I need to ”hold” the block with my feet, otherwise the centerblock is moving instead of piston only.

Attachment 179342

This is the piston rod, not the pistons. This rod has two lip seals in the center block that will cause resistance when trying to push the rod back and forth which is normal. The rod shown is in great condition so I doubt there is any issue there at all. A very small amount of silicone grease on the rod is a good idea. Also open the test port and shove a little silicone grease in there as well. So back to the check valves, post pictures of the check valve assembly on both side of the center block.
Old 21-10-2018, 23:32   #10

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I have the black antistall button on my old 380c. Never had to use it. If that worked, why would they remove it on later versions?
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2018, 03:41   #11

This is the Check valves, the ”White” ones is ”movable” and not stuck open. The ones with the ”cross” I dont know the status. Is it safe to remove the Check valves without destroying them totally?

Name:	IMG_3026.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	179419Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3028.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	179420
Old 22-10-2018, 04:22   #12

Removed the Check valves with ”cross” and cleaned the Check valves. Was easy to remove them with nose plier. Also cleaned inside of the block. Maybe one of them was ”stuck”, but very loosely stuck anyhow. Did not found any obvious debris or similar.

Name:	IMG_3033.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	179421

Name:	IMG_3030.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	179422
Old 22-10-2018, 06:39   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
I have the black antistall button on my old 380c. Never had to use it. If that worked, why would they remove it on later versions?

There have been a lot of improvements on the Clark pump design since then. It's got to be close to twenty years ago when that pumps was made.
Old 22-10-2018, 06:52   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segelplaner View Post
This is the Check valves, the ”White” ones is ”movable” and not stuck open. The ones with the ”cross” I dont know the status. Is it safe to remove the Check valves without destroying them totally?

Attachment 179419Attachment 179420

OK the plot thickens. Those check valves look good and what I'd expect to see on a newly rebuilt pump. First, why is there an O-ring on the piston rod in your picture? There is not one called for there. Second, the small black (pilot valve pin), there are two, that is shown just above the piston rod. One should be pushed in and the other should be sticking out about 1/4". It's hard to tell from the pics but it almost seems that both are flush. The only other spot to check would be the top block that holds the annular rings. I would assume that the rebuild would have come with a new spool assembly. The old ones were made up in three pieces, the new ones are one piece. Third, are you sure your two feed pumps are working properly and creating pressure?
Old 22-10-2018, 07:31   #15

There was an O-ring on the piston after rebuild. The Pilot valve pin are as you described - in/out. The feed pumps creates pressure, when I too loose re-assemble, the leakage is there directly. Have not measured the pressure separately.

Tags
Piston, pump, rebuild, Segelplaner, Spectra, Spectrs, Stalled, watermaker