Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2020, 07:25   #1

Seacock & thruhull replacement

So thinking of replacing seacocks on my 1998 Oceanis 352. Would like to hear from others:

1. I assume the thruhulls should also be replaced at the same time?

2. Is this something the boatyard should do? And if so, about how much should I plan to do 7 seacocks (and thruhulls?).
Snowgoose71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 07:35   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Seacock & thruhull replacement

If they are quality bronze skin fittings, they might be fit for further service even if the valves need replacing. If they are brass, then definitely replace them even if they seem to be in good condition.

If you are reasonably handy (and you shouldn't be a sailor if you are not) then this is a job you can definitely do yourself.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 07:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If they are quality bronze skin fittings, they might be fit for further service even if the valves need replacing. If they are brass, then definitely replace them even if they seem to be in good condition.

If you are reasonably handy (and you shouldn't be a sailor if you are not) then this is a job you can definitely do yourself.
I believe they are bronze....the valves have some corrosion and well it just concerns me that they are over 20 years old (if original...I have had her 8 years). I am sure I can do the valves myself....just not so sure about the thruhull fittings...
Old 27-08-2020, 09:14   #4

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. First, what kind of boat, hull material. Do you have thruhull with a nut or do the thruhulls screw into a seacock. Are the seacocks bolted to the hull or backing plates. Are the thruhulls flush or mushroom. How many below the waterline. Sea chest? What sizes. Lastly, why are you changing them. Why would you wish to change only the valves.
Manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 09:38   #5

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Hi. Sorry, got your boat confused with another . OK so on the web there is a real horror story about the valves / thruhulls in your model by an owners group.
I guess the builder used brass ? So, bottom line, I’d read up on this and change all of them. To what? Well here is the opinion of a professional boatbuilder.
Groco all the way with the adaptor plates so you can change the valves or repair them. One piece real seacocks are fine. Groco and Apollo are fine. I would not put a Marelon valve in any boat. I’m removing all of mine. Neither would I ever install the New supported valves because the valve is not bolted down. I don’t consider them seacocks.
Building OEM boats teaches you one thing. Cheap is good...sells boats to people who find out why...later...cheap might not mean seaworthy. It’s your boat.
Happy trails to you.
Mark, an old boatbuilder manatee
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 09:47   #6

7 total. 3 in galley 2 in engine compartment and 3 in head. Boat is a Beneteau which is fiberglass. I dont know answer about other questions but i have included pics for engine seacocks and thruhulls for the head. As mentioned the corrosion and age is the concern...thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_153002.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	222091   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200731_151010.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	371.0 KB
ID:	222092  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191229_104842.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	408.3 KB
ID:	222093  
Old 27-08-2020, 13:04   #7

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Should you choose to replace them, I strongly suggest following the approach at "Marine How To (aka Mainsail): https://marinehowto.com/seacock-backing-plates/
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 14:44   #8

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Those look like Groco bronze seacocks. You should verify that. You may just be able to clean them up.

Newer Beneteaus, we have 2003 B423, have BPT brass ball valves connected to bass thru-hulls. They are rated for 5 years. We bought our boat in December 2016 and our surveyor recommended replacing all but the engine thru hull; that one was bronze replaced by the PO. We used Marelon where we could. There was NO room for proper seacocks in the heads; we had to go with bronze Groco valves with backing plates, and new bronze thru hulls. The contractor did the work fixed price and was pretty unhappy with the challenges and time it took; they came back for more money after they finished (sad trombone).

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 15:14   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

I sail a Jeanneau DS40..bought new in 2003.. put a lot of miles on her and while sailing from Rhodes to Marmaris one of them broke above the valve fortunately..it was my fault as 2x a year I go through the boat and clean each ..but I missed this and got some corrosion.. once out of the water I replaced all the thru hulls AND all the hoses..
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:41   #10

Boat: Nonsuch 354

If you are interested in doing the work yourself, by all means check youtube. Some months ago someone posted a link to a really good how-to. I bookmarked it, but can't find it, which is not uncommon. Anyway, go to YouTube and search for "Replacing Thru-hull Fittings". I think the guy was a Brit, but not sure.
Old 28-08-2020, 09:13   #11

Boat: O'Day 40

Do yourself a favour and look at Trudesign composite thru hulls and valves.
A simple, permanent solution that is as strong as your hull, will never corrode and will never seize up.
Old 28-08-2020, 11:03   #12

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I replaced an old through hull that was supposed to unscrew. I even found a crowbar that could be inserted into the through hull catching the ridges. No luck. I had success using a very course sanding disk and was able to grind away the outside flange without damaging the fiberglass.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 11:32   #13

Boat: Robertson & Caine Leopard 40

Hello I’m very much interested in the difference between the various types of materials used in Thruhulls. I have a 2009 leopard 40 and am thinking of replacing all 11 thru hills in April after I ran into an owner of a slightly older leopard that had the aircon thru hull break off in his hand - thankfully he had a wood plug and was there.

Anyway I replaced the starboard hull Marelon head flush thru hull last year With the same one but still have to replace the port one.

I am not sure what the other through hulls are made of (bronze or brass) but I am very curious to get opinions on brass vs bronze and how to tell the difference and more importantly longevity of these vs marelon and plastic such as trudesign mentioned above

Just like the original post - the thought of 12 year old thru hull failing is worrisome to me
cat-keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 11:48   #14

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat-keys View Post
Hello I’m very much interested in the difference between the various types of materials used in Thruhulls. I have a 2009 leopard 40 and am thinking of replacing all 11 thru hills in April after I ran into an owner of a slightly older leopard that had the aircon thru hull break off in his hand - thankfully he had a wood plug and was there.

Anyway I replaced the starboard hull Marelon head flush thru hull last year With the same one but still have to replace the port one.

I am not sure what the other through hulls are made of (bronze or brass) but I am very curious to get opinions on brass vs bronze and how to tell the difference and more importantly longevity of these vs marelon and plastic such as trudesign mentioned above

Just like the original post - the thought of 12 year old thru hull failing is worrisome to me

I’m surprised if you have 11 underwater through hulls on your Leopard 40. Mine is hull no 132 of 136 and I have 2 x head inlets, 2 x head outlets and my water maker.

I recently changed them to true design and epoxied the through hulls into place with new true design valves on them.
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 12:20   #15

Boat: Irwin, Citation, 34
Send a message via ICQ to sengland

Am having all 6 of my thru-hulls and sea-cocks replaced right now by a yard with a wealth of knowledge and experience on a huge variety of vessals. (Mine's a Irwin Citation 34" 1984). I told them to do a 20year job. Message me if you want to know the specs.
sengland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, men