Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2016, 19:27   #16

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Sea water filling toilet bowl...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Peg,

I've got a question for you. We have two Lavec toilets, they both have vented loops on both the intake water and waste water hoses. They both fill with sea water, not effluent. Lid up.

Does this mean the vented loops are not working properly?

How do I fix them, can they just be cleaned?

(PS just found my copy of your book today but didn't think to look this up.)
Yep, the vented loops are not working, clogged or the rubber valve in them is upside down - not uncommon. Unscrew the top of the vented loop, remove the rubber valve, clean everything. Put the rubber valve back in so that air can get into the system from "outside" of the hoses. It's normally a little cone shaped valve, it goes in with the point/flattened end inwards.

Simple. Lavac toilets are great. I still have one, changed the other to an Airhead.
Old 21-02-2016, 23:52   #17

I've got a Jabsco Electric head and have never had that problem.
I did however, 'forget' to close the intake seacock but to my relief about an hour later (after rushing back to the marina to check ) "did I close that pesky seacock + the flush seacock" but all was ok

Glad I went back because both intake and exit seacocks were not closed.. checked the toilet and normal water level.

Here's my setup as a reference, the loop is clearly visible.
Yes, my head is mounted below the water line

Cheers, Pete
CruiserPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 00:21   #18

Boat: Hunter 44DS

This is how mine is plumbedClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1456129283.307550.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	119388

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 01:43   #19

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
It's not time to replace anything. Whoever installed the toilet(s) neglected to install a vented loop in the intake...something that's needed on any toilet installed at or below the waterline.

On a manual toilet or a basic electric toilet on which a hose connects the pump to the back of the bowl, it needs to be installed between the pump and the bowl NOT between the thru-hull and pump.... and should be at least 6-8" above waterline at any angle of heel...which will obviously require replacing the short piece of hose the toilet mfr used with two pieces long enough put the loop up where it belongs. You'll need an air valve, aka "vacuum breaker" in the loop (see photo)...they're often sold separately.

However, if your toilet an all-china "throne" that doesn't have that short connecting hose, the vented loop has to be install in the intake line between the thru-hull and the toilet. THAT requires an electric solenoid valve wired to the flush button that closes the air valve to let the toilet prime, opens it to let air into the line to kill the siphon. Jabsco sells the solenoid valve...it's part # 37068-0000 This from Jabsco should educate you on how to install it: http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/file...noid_valve.pdf

this one. read the instructions and they advise to even put one in. Mine came with one in the box.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, water