Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-07-2012, 10:15   #1

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Sanden Compressor Puzzle

I have a DC generator driven Sanden Compressor driving Seafrost cold plates with Seafrosts epoxy sealed expansion valves.

I was overcharged some for about 2 months and decided to remove some chage. The generator is a small Kubota form Aquamarine, Inc and they provided the Sanden SD5 compressor. The generator purrs along at 3k rpms and the refrigeration was working fine but taking to long to pull down.

I removed about 5 psi of refrigerant and the system ran fine for one evening. The next am after about 30 minutes of running the refrigeration compressor I noticed the little generator bogging down. When I shut off the refrigeration system the generator went back to 3k rpms.

Thinking I may have to much r134a stil I took out approx 5 more psi of gas and hooked up the guage sets. HP was 130 after a few minutes and LP was 10 psi. Plates were at between 25 and 35 degrees F. I noticed the same thing after about 20-30 minutes the engine began to bog down. I then lowered the rpms to approx 2500 on the generator and the rest of the run time I had no noticable effect on the generator.

Since then I've now started up the system at about 3k rpm and after 5 minutes slowed the generator down to 2.5k. rpms. Everything works fine.

When the compressor was bogging down the generator I took some infrared temp readings the the compressor was readin 160 to 180 degrees.

I'm wondering if maybe pulling out the refrigerant left to much oil out of the compressor. I pulled it out real, real slow and felt no oil on any part near the exhaust. For those enviornmentalist, I'm sorry I couldn't recover any as I'm currently in the outskirts of Panama SA.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Wondering a couple of things....
Is my compressor toast?
Should I try to run it back up at 3K?
Should I add a little refrigerant with oil? Don't have any on the boat but may be able to find some here.
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor