Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 00:10   #1

Refrigeration question

Hello lovely people,
Another question for the gurus at cruiser forum. We are thinking about replacing our current (non working) 12 volt, air cooled system. Our top loading ice box is about 125 litres and seems well insulated (currently two esky blocks keep my milk cold for about 24 hours). We also have a (also non working) front loading refrigerator.

We are currently on a swing mooring with no alternate power source (ie no shore power, solar or wind) however solar panels are on our never ending boat improvement list.

We do a lot do day and weekend sailing, with a couple of longer cruises (a couple of weeks) a year. Our long term plan is a year off...

We are considering an ozfridge 200 l system. My thinking is that when we move onto the boat long term, we'll use this one as a freezer and get the front loading fridge repaired as a fridge.

Questions...
Is it reasonable to expect that a eutetic system will be any use at all for day sailing? It's probably not a deal breaker as we can just use our esky blocks as we've been doing.
Are there any downsides to over speccing the system (bar the space lost to the bigger plates)?
Is a eutetic system our best choice considering that we have no alternate power source. (I understand the concept of overflow power and change of state)
Does anyone have any experience with ozfridge or any advice on a supplier. (We're in Australia and would prefer to buy locally for service and parts).

Thanks everyone!
steff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 01:26   #2

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Refrigeration question

Steff, Ozefridge is one of the best systems I have seen, and Peter at Ozefridge is very knowledgeable and helpful. Speak with him to ensure you get the right model and you wont go wrong. My Ozefridge is now about 6 years old, has been used from the equator to the southern ocean, and is one of the best improvements we ever did. Low power use, really efficient. it has not been switched off, except for defrosting, in that time.
Old 16-11-2015, 03:13   #3

Boat: Owner Builder

Suggest you also look at "ICEER" I have had one for 15yyrs some what expensive but you get what you pay for
Mine is still working well & are now in the tropics
I cannot praise them & the service by mal betts highly enough
BriaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 04:45   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If your on a mooring with no alternate power source, I'd say no, it's of no use.
Reason is it takes hours to get the plates frozen, now on your couple of weeks cruise, then of course it will be useful
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 09:04   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
... Reason is it takes hours to get the plates frozen ...l
Each re-freeze cycle will be approx 2.3 hours (small tank) to 4.7 hours long (large tank) and consume a total of approximately 12 to 25 amperes per hour run time (not less than 2.3 x 12 = 27.6 A/Hr).

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 13:45   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Each re-freeze cycle will be approx 2.3 hours (small tank) to 4.7 hours long (large tank) and consume a total of at a rate of approximately 12 to 25 amperes per hour run time continuously for however long it runs (not less than 2.3 x 12 = 27.6 A/Hr Amp hrs).
There, fixed it for you

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1933764
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 14:09   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

My 2bobs worth.. Use direct evaporator plates with a dometec compressor. Works hard when you put your box of beer in but once they are cool I have 2 of these things and the other one runs a freezer. Leave them on all day even when not on the boat as 250w of solar is enough to keep everything going !
Old 16-11-2015, 15:32   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Stu,
It didn't need fixing, we understood

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 17:23   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Each re-freeze cycle will be approx 2.3 hours (small tank) to 4.7 hours long (large tank) and consume a total of approximately 12 to 25 amperes per hour run time (not less than 2.3 x 12 = 27.6 A/Hr).
Thanks! I love it when people take the time to quantify things.

Tags
refrigeration