Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2014, 07:26   #16

Boat: Whitby 42
Re: Refrigeration Problem

Thank you for that short history, The things I have done to my two systems would fill a book. May be time to bite the bullet with a new system. This time I am considering a plug and play. The insulation should have all been replaced before I left Canada wasn't a problem there.
lions paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 08:44   #17
Marine Service Provider

Steve, Danfoss BD compressors may be rated to operate in Low Back Pressure (LBP) conditions but water cooled in tropical conditions has proven to be a mistake especially on live aboard boats. Adding to excessive compressor damaging heat there is the discharge of low voltage current from condenser into cooling water. Trouble with both of these water cooling conditions is you can dump a lot of money attempting repairs before realizing complete system needs to be replaced.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 08:45   #18

Boat: Niagara 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lions paw View Post
Thank you for that short history, The things I have done to my two systems would fill a book. May be time to bite the bullet with a new system. This time I am considering a plug and play. The insulation should have all been replaced before I left Canada wasn't a problem there.
A complete Nova kool 12 V system is $1k. Unless they are in a remote place and doing all their own work (as you are) most people should replace a system before spending too much money on repairs
Old 24-05-2014, 11:26   #19

Boat: Whitby 42

Thank for all your responses
I have been fighting the Monsters for at least 4 years(there was a time when they worked great) Learned a lot about refrigeration. Some of the things suggested are not even possible here and are beyond my capability. Refrigeration repair men in the middle of nowhere are usually not that capable that's why I have tried to do most of the repairs myself. I think it is time to throw in the towel. Shipping here is by ship and by the size of the package not weight. I am thinking of scraping my boxes and ordering a complete 12 volt unit. Any suggestions on a good unit, Frig /Freezer or separate.
Thanks Steve
lions paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 12:04   #20

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Steve,

We just got an Isotherm cruise 200 (stainless steel) and we're very happy with it so far. Was a perfect fit in the space that was occupied by the Bene461's top-access fridge and freezer - it's also much more efficient than our original. It's on the pricy side but we managed to get quite a good deal in it.
Old 24-05-2014, 14:20   #21

Boat: Niagara 35
My Nova kool works well and was dead easy to install. We got the type that is a freezer box. It comes pre charged
Old 24-05-2014, 15:08   #22
Marine Service Provider

Steve, Size of boxes are important if they are both small a Nova Kool twin plate might be good for freezer. Or a 45 quart portable Engel for freezer its thermostat is adjustable from a cooler all the way down to a low temp freezer. If you have alternative energy wind or solar and refrigerator box is no larger than four cubic feet you might consider a Cool Blue from Technautics. If you are relying more on batteries and Technautics is above your budget look at Nova Kool for refrigerator box also.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigeration