Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2021, 18:59   #1

Boat: 1968 Columbia 36
Planning my winter projects. Alternative for emptying hold tank

So I am working on planning my upcoming winter projects, and looking for a little help with planning on head modifications

Boat is my Columbia 36 that I normally spend most of my time in the Cheasapeake bay, so pump out in my normal. Previous owner installed a vacu-flush head which I like. Systems is freshwater flushed, and I have enough water tankage to make this work for multi-day trips. I plan on servicing the system this winter. It works fine, only known issue is it has slow vacuum leak so pump kicks on about every 10 minutes if you leave it turn on. No biggy there, I can fix that.

Right now the system is only plumbbed for pump-out whole system installed below the water line. So no line to a thru-hull. Next year I am planning to do a couple trips out of the Chesapeake bay including at least one multi-day trip probably about 100 miles offshore to do some tuna fishing. The currently holding tank is boarderline to small for this trip.

I am trying to figure out simplest system to dump overboard while understanding it isn't going to be used often. My first thought is adding another fitting on the tank, with macerator and vented loop to a thru-hull. But is this really the simplest way? Concerned about the thru-hull and pump working fine if they spend most of the time sealed up, or stuff from tank getting in this line and causing issue when I try to use it the couple times I might want to?

Any other good ideas that are a little simpler or less problem prone while still being friendly to crew who simply wants the head to work?
Fishzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 20:02   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Planning my winter projects. Alternative for emptying hold tank

Install a y-valve in the pumpout line that will let you add a line to a macerator pump and thru-hull. Vented loop goes between the macerator pump and thru-hull. You'll need to install a thru-hull with seacock--preferably below-waterline--if none currently exists.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 20:36   #3
Marine Service Provider

Btw...I'm guessing that you're a relatively new VacuFlush owner....If you'll send me a PM that includes your email address (no way to attach anything to a PM), I'll be glad to send you my "VacuFlush 101" article that explains how it works (an amazing number of owners think they do, but don't) and how much water it actually needs to keep it working trouble-free.

--Peggie
Old 02-10-2021, 20:36   #4

Boat: 1968 Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Install a y-valve in the pumpout line that will let you add a line to a macerator pump and thru-hull. Vented loop goes between the macerator pump and thru-hull. You'll need to install a thru-hull with seacock--preferably below-waterline--if none currently exists.

--Peggie
I can make that work. I actually have two unused thru-hulls (both below water line) available that I figured I would use one of for this, but will replace the seacock.

I would never disagree you Peghall, but curious on advantages of a y-valve vs installing another fitting on the holding tank with a simpler shut off valve? Assuming y-valve is above level of holding tank either way the macerator would need to pull prime vertically. I was thinking a secondary fitting would be less prone to having issues from infrequent use. But I admit I am probably overthinking this because of not wanting to have it go wrong....
Fishzine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:31   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Technically you don't even need a Y valve. Just a tee or Y in the tank discharge line. As long as you close the macerator seacock when not in use and the cap seal on the deck fitting is good, neither one will cause a vacuum leak when using the other, so both methods will pump out fine. FWIW, that's how my boat was configured from the factory. It's worked fine for the last 35 years.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 06:45   #6
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

The simplest system for rare use would be just to buy a hand or electric pump and pump out yourself where it is legal. Certainly not the most pleasant solution however.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:37   #7

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishzine View Post
........I am trying to figure out simplest system to dump overboard while understanding it isn't going to be used often. My first thought is adding another fitting on the tank, with macerator and vented loop to a thru-hull.......
Good plan..........that is the way my sailboat and powerboat are designed with a y-valve as post #2 advised.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 08:53   #8

I attached an old diaphragm pump I had from a previous boat to a piece of plywood, connected a plastic plumbing fitting that fit the pumpout fitting to a short piece of hose, then attached a piece of output bilge pump hose to the pump for discharge.
It is not pleasant, but worked a charm, no extra fittings and I made it up from parts I had lying around. You can easily rinse the pump by putting the intake hose in the water and pumping some water through it.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:06   #9

Hello. A y-valve is certainly simple. Word of warning, which you’ve probably considered: ensure your set-up is legal. In Canada, the mere existence of a y-valve in inland waters is prohibited, UNLESS there is a physical break (air gap), with hose ends separately and securely capped off, where the head would discharge. A few years ago, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police did a swoop on boats visiting from the USA, at the border in eastern Lake Ontario. Many skippers, unaware of this law, were fined. Good luck. Peter
Bittern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:24   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

If a P.O. has removed the direct discharge part of your system, it may be wise to find out why. Where we sail it is illegal to even HAVE the option of direct discharge. (NO, a lock on a Y valve will not cut it here.)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:28   #11

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
So I am working on planning my upcoming winter projects, and looking for a little help with planning on head modifications

Boat is my Columbia 36 that I normally spend most of my time in the Cheasapeake bay, so pump out in my normal. Previous owner installed a vacu-flush head which I like. Systems is freshwater flushed, and I have enough water tankage to make this work for multi-day trips. I plan on servicing the system this winter. It works fine, only known issue is it has slow vacuum leak so pump kicks on about every 10 minutes if you leave it turn on. No biggy there, I can fix that.

Right now the system is only plumbbed for pump-out whole system installed below the water line. So no line to a thru-hull. Next year I am planning to do a couple trips out of the Chesapeake bay including at least one multi-day trip probably about 100 miles offshore to do some tuna fishing. The currently holding tank is boarderline to small for this trip.

I am trying to figure out simplest system to dump overboard while understanding it isn't going to be used often. My first thought is adding another fitting on the tank, with macerator and vented loop to a thru-hull. But is this really the simplest way? Concerned about the thru-hull and pump working fine if they spend most of the time sealed up, or stuff from tank getting in this line and causing issue when I try to use it the couple times I might want to?

Any other good ideas that are a little simpler or less problem prone while still being friendly to crew who simply wants the head to work?
100 miles offshore? Bucket and chuck it. Our bucket has an actual toilet seat that fits it (kind of) for our more 'delicate' guests. We have a backup bucket.
And lest you think we are uncaring slobs that have no respect for Mother Ocean or the environment as a whole, we would be completely miserable and sad for days if an ounce of motor oil or diesel went into the sea. No outboards for us, we row the dinghy - just can't bear the thought of that little sheen of oil that sometimes appears on the water.
We keep a pee bottle in the cockpit, or use the bucket there for urine - no going over the side for safety reasons. When offshore we use the Airhead as little as possible, and of course that means we don't have a holding tank so in truth I don't even have a dog in this hunt! Just a few suggestions.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 10:47   #12

Boat: Chrysler 26 swing keel

Quote:

I used a whale hand pump screwed on pumpout outler
saisoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 12:14   #13
Marine Service Provider

A y-valve costs a bit more than a tee (the reason boat builders use tees), but it's worth it IMO 'cuz no one ever finds out that the macerator isn't working when a tank is empty. Unlike a tee, a y-valve provides the means of shutting off flow from the tank to the macerator pump to replace the impeller or whatever else it may need including total replacement.

--Peggie
Old 03-10-2021, 12:17   #14

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

I'd use the Whale Gusher instead of a macerater pump. There ia very little to go wrong with it
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 16:14   #15

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
A y-valve costs a bit more than a tee (the reason boat builders use tees), but it's worth it IMO 'cuz no one ever finds out that the macerator isn't working when a tank is empty. Unlike a tee, a y-valve provides the means of shutting off flow from the tank to the macerator pump to replace the impeller or whatever else it may need including total replacement.

--Peggie
Good point. I've never worried about that concern as my tank is a dip tube pumpout, so that hose is normally empty. For a tank with a bottom outlet, it's a different story.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
project