Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2013, 07:07   #16
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Pex question:whale and seatech compatibility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
I was planning on using the Seatech push-on fittings per MaineSail. Have you had trouble with those? Was planning this route because of the cost of the tool and ease of assembly and fitting in the tight spaces where boat plumbing lives. If you've had trouble with them though, I'll buy the Wirsbo tool and go with the Uponor fittings. I have 2 boats to re-plumb, so at least the cost of the tool is spread out a bit. Do enough boats and the cost of the Seatech fittings out-paces the cost of the Wirsbo tool (Milwaukee). -Tom

No, they're ok. Just much stronger with Uponor. Probably longer life as well. Wirsbo tubing is better tubing as well. If you have two boats (or more) to do, I'd definitely get the Milwaukee tool and go this route, unless they are tiny simple boats. The tool really probably pays for itself in one job, it's only a few hundred bucks, less if you already own Milwaukee batteries and chargers.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 07:29   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyhog View Post
I was planning on using the Seatech push-on fittings per MaineSail. Have you had trouble with those? Was planning this route because of the cost of the tool and ease of assembly and fitting in the tight spaces where boat plumbing lives. If you've had trouble with them though, I'll buy the Wirsbo tool and go with the Uponor fittings. I have 2 boats to re-plumb, so at least the cost of the tool is spread out a bit. Do enough boats and the cost of the Seatech fittings out-paces the cost of the Wirsbo tool (Milwaukee). -Tom
I have hundreds and hundreds of the Watts/Sea Tech fittings in use. Not a single leak. I also used to be a rep for one of the largest PEX manufacturers in the US. I was a rep for radiant PEX products well before it was even legal for domestic plumbing, only heating systems when I was selling it. We sold millions and millions of feet of oxygen barrier PEX, and the fittings, back when there were only a few players US Brass, Rehau, Wirsbo, Heatway etc.. .

The crimp fittings are fine but they lack the ability to disassemble for winterizing or to rotate etc.. The brass fittings also tend to eventually turn green and look like crap on a boat.

The biggest problem with the push on fittings is people trying to mix metric sized tubing with 1/2" or 3/8" fittings or vice-versa. The other issue is using poor PEX cutting techniques or tools. When used correctly the plastic Watts push on fittings are tremendous and well exceed any pressures we'd ever see on boats.

Again, hundreds and hundreds of them installed on boats and not one single leak. Watts does not put their name on junk products. Sea Tech is a Watts product..

I also own multiple brands of PEX crimp tools from the original Wirsbo & Rehau radiant stuff to Quest & others. On boats I much prefer the push on fittings from Watts.

If doing a shore based radiant installation I generally use the Wirsbo or Rehau style fittings. Even when domestic plumbing with 100PSI street pressures I use the Wirsbo style, but on boats we simple don't even come close to the pressures we see in commercial or domestic plumbing or heating applications. At home however I have multiple Sea Tech fittings under our sink for a water filtration system. Our street pressure here is about 100PSI. Those have been in place for over 8 years...

I do also use 3/8" PEX and the fittings, much easier to route on a boat. I have had zero flow issues at the GPH and pressures we use on boats. It is rare to find a marine pump or a typical cruisng boat that exceeds 55 PSI.... Most are 30-40 PSI and 2-4 GPM...

I do suggest using straight PEX lengths rather than coils. Coils are often cheaper but a real PITA on a boat... The Watts/Sea Tech fittings don't need to be purchased at a marine store either. I get mine from my local plastic pipe distributor or any of my local plumbing supply houses.
Old 27-09-2013, 08:20   #18

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
That would be interesting and challenging. I actually have worked for a contractor managed plumbing crews on a highrise or two. Just for fun mind you and experience. I've been a junior partner in an engineering firm in the past, but it was going to be too much boring work. So not into boring. That's why I moved around after leaving senior positions. I've always needed a challenge. Sailings a challenge as you never learn it all.

I think if someone was building a mile high skyscraper, that could be fun. I've done just about everything else.

I'm not really looking to be rich, only happy. I sort of enjoy being a boat bum-ette, more at the moment. No deadlines, no hassles. Just have to find a way that pays me to be one...

Check out California's requirements. It surprised me that they DO NOT offer journeyman licenses, none needed. They have a so called contractor's license which is the same as a master's license. From my read, you fully qualify to take an exam for the highly prized contractor's license.

I recall your earlier posts where you explained how difficult it was to find employment without a degree even though you hold a PE. A plumber's contract license could circumvent those problems while allowing you to define your own destiny.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 16:59   #19

Boat: Pearson 323, 32ft

I am going to refit my boat using Sharkbite components. The pump I am looking at is a Whale brand with obviously Whale connections. Will those connections take the Sharkbite pex tube (1/2" sharkbite and 15mm whale) and not leak? Has anyone done this?
sailrxsin is offline   Reply With Quote