Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2020, 15:09   #1

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Oven glass door shattered - metal replacement viable??

Surely someone has had this happen.

Glass door on smev oven shattered yesterday, replacement glass will cost a motza and take a long time to arrive and will likely shatter again at some stage.

5mm aluminium is cheap, easy, can have it in an hour from current location.
Any one see a "real" reason as to why not?

PS: we are not the looking through the oven door types so transparency is a non issue.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 15:40   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Oven glass door shattered - metal replacement viable??

If you use aluminium plate to cover it, the aluminium is a very good heat conductor. It could become a hazard to clothing or skin.

What a nuisance!

Good luck with a fix.

Ann
Old 30-07-2020, 16:43   #3

Boat: 32’ Sloop

Take the broken glass to a glass shop and have a new piece cut?

Whenever something was built for a window and gets replaced with something other than a window, it never looks right.
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 17:38   #4

Yes, metal would be very dangerous in my opinion. Most of the metal parts of the oven will have rudimentary insulation. Quick Google gave this info that aluminium is 150 times more conductive than glass. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/...57630801922535

So if you accidentally leant against it for say one second, that's a lot of heat into your flesh. Ouch!
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 17:44   #5

Plenty of ovens don't have glass doors and instead have all metal.
The metal surrounds to the glass on ours don't seem to get any hotter than the glass.

A quick google looking for standards say that the door shouldn't get hotter than 60c above ambient temp and that is about 150c below the smoldering point of timber.
In theory, 6mm plywood "could" work
Old 30-07-2020, 18:44   #6

Just spoke to a couple of glass mobs, to cut glass drill holes and then bake glass to temper they suggested it might be cheaper and faster to buy a new oven...............or cut a bit of ally plate for $25.
Old 30-07-2020, 18:45   #7

Boat: Westerly Sealord

When mine shattered the first time...rolling...stove unsecured...handle strikes grab rail.... I managed to pick up a cheap replacement glass.

Second time it happened I bought a new stove..
SMEV are just one step above 'caravan quality'.....
Old 30-07-2020, 19:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
When mine shattered the first time...rolling...stove unsecured...handle strikes grab rail.... I managed to pick up a cheap replacement glass.

Second time it happened I bought a new stove..
SMEV are just one step above 'caravan quality'.....
Oh, its a crap stove and cant wait to be rid of it but I wont be going overpriced and undersized marine and instead want full sized house oven/cooktop.

Galley will have to be re-iigged a bit to accommodate bigger oven but there's about $1000 difference between a small better than smev marine and a full size off the shelf house type so that will offset those costs.

But none of that helps me now.
Old 30-07-2020, 19:10   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Usually there's some sort of insulation sandwiched between the metal surfaces, but you could probably do your own sandwich, using fiberglass batt between the metal bits, but I'd use s/s rather than aluminum, because s/s is a poorer conductor.

Ann
Old 30-07-2020, 19:30   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Oh, its a crap stove and cant wait to be rid of it but I wont be going overpriced and undersized marine and instead want full sized house oven/cooktop.

Galley will have to be re-iigged a bit to accommodate bigger oven but there's about $1000 difference between a small better than smev marine and a full size off the shelf house type so that will offset those costs.

On both occasions I ran for some time with only the inner glass... no problems... probably just not quite as efficient..
Old 30-07-2020, 20:40   #11

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Plate on inside, plate on outside, insulation in between. Oven doors are two pieces of metal with a layer of insulating material in between. Rockwool or fiberglass for insulation. Same gauge metal as door is fine.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 21:57   #12

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Since it's just temporary anyway, why not just get an old solid metal (one without a window) door from a scrapped home oven, cut the size you need from it, including insulation, and screw it on, inside and out. Should be readily available at a scrap yard for pennies.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 09:46   #13

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:

Since you apparently hate that oven, just get an oversized piece of SS for now, screw it to the existing frame and caulk it in with some engine gasket maker. Down the road, I'd consider a convection oven with a convection hob on top - draws a bit of juice but are very cool in the galley and with that big beast of a boat you have, I'm sure you could find a way to up the electrics.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 10:37   #14

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

I'd do the two plates with batting between, nice sheet metal screws, no gasket sauce.
I would make sure the holes in the patches for the screws are a little loose and screw heads are oversized so patches can expand/contract without putting stress on the existing door skins.

One could also do a filler plate to approximate the glass and then a piece of expanded metal grating to keep fingers off the hot portion but that's probably a bit more work.
Old 31-07-2020, 12:45   #15

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Surely someone has had this happen.

Glass door on smev oven shattered yesterday, replacement glass will cost a motza and take a long time to arrive and will likely shatter again at some stage.

5mm aluminium is cheap, easy, can have it in an hour from current location.
Any one see a "real" reason as to why not?

PS: we are not the looking through the oven door types so transparency is a non issue.
I wouldn't replace the glass, but wouldn't use aluminum myself - as has been mentioned the thermal conductivity is just too high. That said, it cools down fairly quickly too, especially compared to stainless steel with it's very low rate of conductivity. (Thanks, Ann!) Mild steel would work for me, a nice piece of 1/8" or heavier checkerplate. Put a sign on it that say's 'HOT'. Hey, there is lots of hot stuff on boats. Insulate it or not as you like.
For us it doesn't matter. We pulled the oven years ago, (left the cooktop) and use that space for storage with a nice tip-out drawer. Bake in a pressure cooker, or not at all, which is usually the case.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, oven