Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2008, 01:20   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
David, not trying to sound like a lawyer or anything, but when you accept a new boat your “protocol of acceptance” pretty much says that you accept it in working order. The toilet is now having problems and is affecting their daily enjoyment.

Why not hire an independent professional tech to solve the problem? If it is a factory or installation problem, then you have a credible witness and recourse to be refunded the cost of repairs. If it turned out that one of the family members or guests put something silly down there, I think the Owner would feel equally silly making a big fuss about it.

I would rather save the legal stuff for something serious.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 20:10   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Post the name of the guy that sold you the boat?

No they won't let you

Seriously....don't waste any time....call the mfr (that's MANUFACTURER) asap.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:48   #18

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
If indeed it is a Jabsco Quiet Flush something is wrong. The good news is that it should be a simple fix -- there aren't many parts. I suspect either: the joker valve installed backwards as noted above, the blade on the macerator slipping on the axle, or a kink in the outlet hose.

Note that this toilet does not require 3 gallons per flush. The spec for pressurized flushing water is 3-1/2 gallons per minute. It takes 5 seconds or less to flush, so a quart or so per event.

The failure mode for inadequate pressure water is benign - you just have to pump more water into the bowl before flushing.

A proper installation has power to the flush water pressure pump connected to the flush button module (three buttons: flush water in only, flush water in/flush out, flush out only) so there is no pressurized sea water in the boat in the normal course of events.

The Quiet Flush is also safe to install with selectable fresh or sea water flush, a great convenience allowing the use of fresh water (reducing head odors) when water is plentiful and sea water offshore during passage-making.

I've been using mine as a liveaboard for a year and a half. It clogged once (a visitor had to try really really hard to get enough paper in there to overwhelm the macerator). Clearing the clog was trivial compared to conventional toilets and took only ten minutes. I was ambivalent about it when I bought the boat but went with the factory recommendation. I'm now sold.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 10:45   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
I have a TMC electric Toilet installed. It was blocked up by some person trying to flush down too much loo paper. I had the wonderful job of pulling it all apart. In the line just beyound the macerator is a small rubber valve. I would think is the electric toilet version of the Joker valve. It is really small. So I deep sixed it. Removed it compleatly. I have never had a problem since. You do have to ensure that the flush is pushed for a good say 5 seconds. I tell people to push and hold and count to 5. But then this shoudl be done anyway to ensure everything is flushed down the pipes to the holding tank.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 11:45   #20

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kidson View Post
What a Sh$#ty problem to have!!

Seriously though, I have no idea how to solve your problem, just been waiting forever to use that joke

Maybe a change of diet Beer only perhaps; how is your refrigeration??

Fair winds

THAT ..was hilarious to suddenly read as I'm scrolling down this thread. Was waiting for a "feeling flushed" joke to pop online, but yours was funny in that you were waiting for the opportunity.

Sailors always find a way to laugh about the worst of situations.
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:41   #21

Hi
we also have a jabsco quiet flush which will not flush. We have taken everything possible apart, the joker value we replaced and put back the correct way round. When we take the outlet pipe off the water does shoot out when we put the electric pump on, but probably not as much as it should? We had put a bendy tube up the pipe for about 3ft and there was no obstruction. But as soon as we reattach the pipe the water stays in the bowl...... Any ideas anyone?????? Please!!!!!!!!!
nettyjetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 13:54   #22

Boat: Newport MKII 30 - Solution
You might try something I call the power of the carbon copy. If it were me, I would email the dealer with a [detailed] complaint asking for a prompt resolution and an answer to your email while simultaneously carbon copying Hunter. Make sure it is not a blind cc but the cc that the dealer can see on his copy.
Old 09-02-2008, 15:57   #23

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Sea-cock Actually Opening?

This may soumd like a dumb suggestion but have you checked to ensure your sea-cock is actually opening? We once experienced a failure with a sea-cock valve stem that sheared off at an angle inside the valve. Turning the lever to close the valve actually closed it. Turning it to open, however, only opened it the least bit. I thought we had a bad pump but a friend suggested the sea-cock and sure enough, that was the problem.

Good luck!

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 19:41   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
I have a TMC electric Toilet installed. It was blocked up by some person trying to flush down too much loo paper. I had the wonderful job of pulling it all apart. In the line just beyound the macerator is a small rubber valve. I would think is the electric toilet version of the Joker valve. It is really small. So I deep sixed it. Removed it compleatly. I have never had a problem since. You do have to ensure that the flush is pushed for a good say 5 seconds. I tell people to push and hold and count to 5. But then this shoudl be done anyway to ensure everything is flushed down the pipes to the holding tank.
I say Wheels,holding down the button and counting to"sex" would make it more confusing.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 21:21   #25

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
You just bought a new boat get the dealer to fix it!! If he won't call the manufacturer of the boat and the head. If no results get your lawyer to contact them all too.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 22:58   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
holding down the button and counting to"sex"
Oh do you reside in Seedney Mudnut??? ;-)

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote