Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2020, 16:07   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3
Need Advice on New Remote Bilge Pump

My bilge pump has given up the ghost. I have rebuilt it twice, but I think there is a crack in the plastic housing that is causing an air leak. Current pump is a Jabsco 37202-2012 (I believe this was original equipment installed by Jeanneau in 2004 as the label is in French) with 3/4 inch inlet and outlet. It’s mounted behind the settee on the starboard side near the fresh water pump. It is a diaphragm pump that can run dry. Total vertical distance is around 6 ft/2m (maybe a touch more) so not too challenging.

I know larger hoses would be better and that will be added to the to do list, but for now am just looking for a replacement. I looked at the new Jabsco units, but the two 37202 12 volt pumps I see available are 3 gallons per minute and 4.5 gallons per minute. I have a manual back-up permanently installed in the co knit that will move a lot of water but even then 4.5gpm/270gph sounds a little wimpy.

So, any recommendations for other brands or other Jabsco pumps? Must be 12 volt, able to run dry, reasonably compact and accommodate 3/4 inch inlet/outlet. Thanks for your recommendations.

Tom
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 16:15   #2

Boat: 32’ Sloop
Re: Need Advice on New Remote Bilge Pump

I’ve had good lock with the new rule pumps, they sense resistance vs using a float

I view electric bilge pumps much the same and anodes, and replace them together.
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 17:28   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Whale Gulper is a diaphragm type. Different sizes available. You can do OK on line for price. Parts available in the Caribbean but always keep spare stuff. We have three spare Rule centrifugal pumps on board. Failure has been regular, not impressed. The Gulper is my back up and will suck the bulge nearly dry.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 17:40   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Because of space have to use a pump with a built in switch. Have not had good luck with the rule pumps up to now. Boat came with a pump with a malfunctioning float switch and the replacement only lasted 2 years. Luckily they continued to work always on or cycling constantly so I guess its a safety feature as long as the battery lasts. Just recently installed one of their new pumps which is completely different than the old design. Hopefully the switch will last longer. The good thing about them is they seem to sense my presence when they die. We live two thousand miles away from the boat so it's kind of important that the auto switch works reliably.

Other boat had a seperate Rule float switch that hasn't been all that reliable though has lasted longer the pump/switch combined package. Installed a Johnson float switch on that pump and it seems to be holding up, either that or there has been now water leaking in.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 08:56   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

I have a whale gulper diaphragm pump mounted up high like yours and it works well, this is just a pump for nuisance water to keep bilge cleared out, it does not need to be high capacity. I also have a rule 3700 pump mounted higher up so if I have a flooding situation this pump hopefully will give me a little time to find the problem.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:18   #6

Boat: X-Yachts X4.9 15.0m

My boat is fitted with a Johnson SPXflow Viking Power 16 12V as the main electric bilge pump. The pump comes with 1" and 3/4" fittings and moves 4gpm at 3m lift. See https://www.spxflow.com/johnson-pump...e-water-pumps/
dcarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:32   #7

Cheapo "Rule" brand pumps are centrifugal and work just fine. They seem to deal with lots of scuzz up to a certain dimension as well as with the actual water. I consider bilge pumps "consumable". If they give you trouble, chuck 'em, exchange 'em. If your bilge is too deep the reach the pump and the float switch comfortably when you are lying on your belly on the sole, mount pump and switch on a carrier (wood will do) that rises up out of the bilge to reach a floor at the hatch. Fasten it to the floor with a bolt and wing nut. That way you can lift the entire contraption for convenient cleaning/exchange/service of the wiring.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:36   #8

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

Thanks everyone for your replies. I’ll definitely look at the suggested options. I‘ve seen some good reviews of the Whale Gushers, but I want to look at the others as well. I knew I could count on this group for some good suggestions.

Tom
Tom_F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 11:42   #9

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I used a 1-1/8" Rule centrifugal pump for years, with an Ultra bilge switch. The switch recently failed and the pump seems to be nearing EOL, but for 40 years the pump has been infallible and the switch lasted about 30 years so I am happy about that. I am now installing my (previously portable) backup 1-1/2" Rule centrifugal pump in a permanent position, with a new Ultra switch, for moving large volumes (along with two manual 1-1/2" pumps, one below and one in the cockpit). I am awaiting delivery of the Whale smart IC pump system for normal de-watering of the bilge. The small pickup/strainer/sensor fits low in the bilge while the Gulper 320 is mounted higher. I have used a Gulper in the galley for about 25 years and only had to service it 2 or 3 times (I use it to empty the sink so it is used often throughout the day). I would not rely on it for emergencies as the flow rate is so low but for frequent use it is perfect.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, pump, remote