Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2021, 09:36   #1
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45
Multi-tank monitor for 240-33ohm sensors

Our recent boat came with many tanks but not with many sensors (3 water, 2 fuel and 3 holding tanks, 2 of which are not actively used). Fuel tanks and main holding tank have gauges but not the water tanks, which is proving to be a problem.

I did install some 240-33ohm sensors on our previous boat and we were happy with them. I ordered a couple to install to the tanks. However I cannot find a gauge/display that supports multiple inputs. The closest I could find is SCAD TM2 which supports two inputs. But just to cover three water tanks, I need two of them, which feels like a waste. In our older boat, I did some tricks with rocker switches to connect multiple sensors to a single gauge but don't want to do that here.

Does anyone know a display/gauge that can support several inputs? A digital one would be desirable but it is a not requirement.

Thanks in advance.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 09:43   #2

Boat: X442
Re: Multi-tank monitor for 240-33ohm sensors

I use the pico monitor by Simarine. Seems to work very well for all the tanks and in addition takes care of battery monitoring. It's a very modular set up so you can add tank sensors, shunts, temp monitors to your heart's content. I am happy with that particular set up.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 09:52   #3
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinSdL View Post
I use the pico monitor by Simarine. Seems to work very well for all the tanks and in addition takes care of battery monitoring. It's a very modular set up so you can add tank sensors, shunts, temp monitors to your heart's content. I am happy with that particular set up.
Thanks, this looks cool. So is this PicoOne + ST107 tank module? Do you know if the tank module works with 240-33 ohm sensors?

(Have Magnum Energy for Battery monitoring so I don't need it)
Old 20-03-2021, 10:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
Thanks, this looks cool. So is this PicoOne + ST107 tank module? Do you know if the tank module work with 240-33 ohm sensors?

(Have Magnum Energy for Battery monitoring so I don't need it)
Well.... me no expert! But I have resistor type tank sensors which used to feed into a very complex collection of electronics in the panel, which in addition to being complex eventually failed as well. So I removed all that and replaced with pico + st107, plugged in the sensors, calibrated with the pico, done!

I suspect your sensors should work too but you'd better ask the above question about your specific sensors to the people at Simarine, they're helpful.

Edit: the main negative feedback I saw on this system here and elsewhere is that it is a bit pricy and the battery state of charge is not as accurate as other offerings. On the first point: it does everything for me now so the cost/benefit ratio is OK. On the second point, I dont care that much about the exact SOC of the battery, and I actually now see that my system does that pretty well as well anyway.
Old 20-03-2021, 17:37   #5
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I ordered a Pico. Curious to see the results. Will report back!
Old 21-03-2021, 01:21   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
I ordered a Pico. Curious to see the results. Will report back!
OMG fingers crossed, I'm an accomplice now. There is a picture of my Simarine display in an album on my profile page somewhere.

Tags
monitor