Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2021, 14:15   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Should I be worried about this valve leak?

It's my engine intake, and it's not leaking in the shutoff position.
I don't want to have to haul out, but I also don't want to sink on my way home. I'm in Beaufort NC now, but I got about 500NM to go home to RI. Planing that early april.
ThanksClick image for larger version

Name:	20210313_160500.jpeg
Views:	353
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	234452Click image for larger version

Name:	20210313_160651.jpeg
Views:	380
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	234453
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 14:36   #2

Re: Should I be worried about this valve leak?

Is the handle just off or is it broken? You can turn it to open and close?
Likely fine if that's the case.
Is that tapered plug seacock or a ball valve seacock?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 16:18   #3

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It looks like one of the ball valve types to me. Groco/Perko etc.

I think it'll be fine. Just a gasket that's failing. It won't fail catastrophically and sink your boat if that's what you're worried about.

When you replace it, on the next one remove that 1/4" plug and replace it with a grease nipple. That'll help the next time around.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 05:38   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Handle is fine. I think it's tapered. But it doesn't look like Spartan. Who else makes tapered cone seacocks?
I typically leave the boat unattended in the water during off season(winter), so I'm wondering do I need to haul out to take care of this before next winter?
Old 14-03-2021, 06:23   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorvati View Post
Handle is fine. I think it's tapered. But it doesn't look like Spartan. Who else makes tapered cone seacocks?
I typically leave the boat unattended in the water during off season(winter), so I'm wondering do I need to haul out to take care of this before next winter?

That’s not a tapered plug seacock, it’s a ball valve.

Likely Perko from the look

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1615728184.571582.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	234499
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 09:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
That’s not a tapered plug seacock, it’s a ball valve.

Likely Perko from the look

Attachment 234499
Yes, I see. Thanks. Thats great to know. Does that matter in terms of leak?
Old 14-03-2021, 10:13   #7

Quote:
Yes, I see. Thanks. Thats great to know. Does that matter in terms of leak?

If there’s no adjusting but for the valve stem packing you can try to pump grease into the drain plugs. This may stop the leak. If not, the leak may stop on its own after being undisturbed for a time. From the photo this looks like an annoyance leak rather than a catastrophe leak.
Old 14-03-2021, 10:58   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

I've had a ball-valve/seacock where the inner part screwed on to the bolted flange and at the same time tightened down on the ball itself. Had to loosen it because it was too tight and difficult to turn (actually snapped off the marelon handle - twice). Perhaps yours is a bit loose?
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 12:22   #9

You bet your boat.
Chris Cringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 16:52   #10

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
It's my engine intake, and it's not leaking in the shutoff position.
I don't want to have to haul out, but I also don't want to sink on my way home. I'm in Beaufort NC now, but I got about 500NM to go home to RI. Planing that early april.
ThanksAttachment 234452Attachment 234453
I don't think I'd ever play games with a faulty seacock. You could probably get it to Rhode Island with the Gulf Stream in your favor and not need the motor much but it seems like you could do anything in Beaufort that you could do in Rhode Island. Is there some reason you need it to be there? Early April is about fifty days away with plenty of time to haul out and take care of other issues.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2021, 06:29   #11

Quote:
If there’s no adjusting but for the valve stem packing you can try to pump grease into the drain plugs. This may stop the leak. If not, the leak may stop on its own after being undisturbed for a time. From the photo this looks like an annoyance leak rather than a catastrophe leak.
It is an annoyance leak as it goes away over time. Its just that over the last three off-seasons I watched it get slightly worst every year. I found just the body for that seacock for 180$. I think its perko. This includes the nipples, and the handle. Those nipples are 1/8" NPT thread. I think just putting the grease fitting to grease it, would be helpful. But bronze nipple will go back in after that.

What about adding a rubber or paper gasket between the handle and the body where the drops appear?
Old 15-03-2021, 06:43   #12

Quote:
It is an annoyance leak as it goes away over time. Its just that over the last three off-seasons I watched it get slightly worst every year. I found just the body for that seacock for 180$. I think its perko. This includes the nipples, and the handle. Those nipples are 1/8" NPT thread. I think just putting the grease fitting to grease it, would be helpful. But bronze nipple will go back in after that.

What about adding a rubber or paper gasket between the handle and the body where the drops appear?

Putting a gasket in there could work short term, but it’s not a fix for the stem packing. Top that with the pressure required to seal a gasket there Preventing you from turning the handle and I’d be inclined to put up with the slow drip until the next haul
Old 17-03-2021, 09:39   #13

Quote:
Putting a gasket in there could work short term, but it’s not a fix for the stem packing. Top that with the pressure required to seal a gasket there Preventing you from turning the handle and I’d be inclined to put up with the slow drip until the next haul
Yes I understand that part now. Thanks. Hauling out this boat is a major undertaking. Step 1 is add grease fitting to see if that improves situation. If not,
The other thought is to replace stem packing while in water.
I have a body of perko valve comming in. It's basically everything accept the through hole straight thread piece. I will find out if there is a way to replace that on the piece that is comming in. If so I might just replace stem and maybe the handle.
Old 17-03-2021, 09:51   #14

Quote:
Yes I understand that part now. Thanks. Hauling out this boat is a major undertaking. Step 1 is add grease fitting to see if that improves situation. If not,
The other thought is to replace stem packing while in water.
I have a body of perko valve comming in. It's basically everything accept the through hole straight thread piece. I will find out if there is a way to replace that on the piece that is comming in. If so I might just replace stem and maybe the handle.
From the photo I can't tell if the adapter flange is bolted (or screwed) down to the backing plate or hull. If it is then you can plug the through-hull from the outside and replace the ball valve easily without hauling. If it isn't I wouldn't try it as there is a real risk that when you try to un-screw the ball valve from the flange it will break the seal and spin the whole through-hull, resulting in a more serious leak. Honestly, if my through hull was doing what yours is I'd just make a mental note to check it fairly regularly, change it at the next haulout and otherwise ignore it.
Old 17-03-2021, 11:53   #15

Edit to my last post: never mind. On closer inspection it looks like you have a two-piece setup (through hull and flanged ball-valve seacock) rather than the three-piece setup (through hull - flanged adapter - ball valve). If so, and you do indeed have the former, you definitely shouldn't try to replace it in the water as there is too great a risk of spinning the through-hull.