Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 11:27   #16

Re: Manual sink faucet in pressure water system

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbobdeb View Post
Peg Hall -
I'm trying to PM you about a question I have from your book and it won't let me because I haven't posted a lot and become a trusted member. How can I contact you, please?
Either post more or start a new thread and ask.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:29   #17
cruiser

I'm just curious as to why some people prefer using a pump instead of pressurized water. Seems like going backwards.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 13:14   #18

You can use both hands to wash dishes and less water.
Keel Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 13:37   #19

Location: Boat is on the hard in San Carlos for the tropical storm season. We are back in the PNW
Boat: 1999 Pacific Seacraft 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I'm just curious as to why some people prefer using a pump instead of pressurized water. Seems like going backwards.
Just to save water for the most part, Ken. In our case we have a Spectra water maker but don't run it unless we are motoring - draws too much on the batteries to use separately. So we just conserve as we can
Smokeys Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 14:58   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keel Scraper View Post
You can use both hands to wash dishes and less water.
^^^^This.

It's just so handy to have a foot pump. Plus far easier to control water usage with it. Plus the whole less parts to break and fail, which is always a plus. I even have a rebuild kit in the parts box in case the valves in the foot pump ever leak.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 15:06   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Our foot pumps, don't know how old they are, but I love 'em. We bought the boat 2nd hand, and have had it 13 yrs. They have been trouble free. I definitely prefer them to pressure water, except for the shower.

Ann
Old 08-06-2017, 15:29   #22

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

We have two fresh water foot pumps on the un-pressurized cold side of our fresh water system, one in the galley rinsing sink and one in the head, (and also a salt water foot pump in the galley). When the water tanks are completely full and the boat is heeled, the fresh water tank in use can be higher than the foot pumps discharge spouts, and water will run through the pumps. (The inlet and outlet check valves in the pumps both point toward the pump discharge, so they don't stop the flow.) For that reason we have a hand valve in the supply line to the fresh water foot pumps that we close when sailing with full tanks. You may need one, too.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 15:54   #23

Boat: Riva 48

A simple solution is to install a solenoid valve ($10 on Amazon) in the pressure system. You can then mount a push button switch anywhere, foot operated, knee operated, even head operated, depending on your galley setup. I have installed mine on the hot water line and love it.

I would suggest you install the foot pump to draw sea water.

I can see the point of having a manual backup in case your fresh water pump fails but this happens rarely and they typically fail gradually, giving you plenty of time to fix.

Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 15:58   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
A simple solution is to install a solenoid valve ($10 on Amazon) in the pressure system. You can then mount a push button switch anywhere, foot operated, knee operated, even head operated, depending on your galley setup. I have installed mine on the hot water line and love it.

I would suggest you install the foot pump to draw sea water.

I can see the point of having a manual backup in case your fresh water pump fails but this happens rarely and they typically fail gradually, giving you plenty of time to fix.

Pizzazz
Ah but the solenoid could fail, the push button could fail, the wire connection could corrode and the pump could fail. A manual pump just works and works and works. Fewer parts means fewer things to fix. Plus less noise and more control of water usage.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 19:27   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Thanks SC for your thoughts. I'm going to T off the non-pressure side thanks to all the advice like yours I've received. On reflection, it's clear to me my initial plan was silly. But it would have been easy (if it could work).

As to why manual, the reasons are numerous. I currently have a manual foot pump in the galley for raw (salt) water. Love it. My previous boat was fully manual, but the current one came with a pressure system. I'm fine with it, but want a backup against the day when my electrical system packs it in.

Besides, there's just something elegant about this big Fynspray manual pump. It's right for our boat.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:00   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Living aboard at the marina using the pressure water system, we'd blow through 40 gallons in two weeks or less. Turning off the pressure water and going with fresh and salt water foot pumps, 40 gallons would last month or more. Pressure water systems are grossly wasteful of water. Would put a pressure pump on the salt side for the next boat where you don't have to worry about keeping your tanks topped off.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water