Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2016, 09:31   #1

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)
New sink faucet needed

The galley sink faucet on my 26.5 Hunter broke so I need to replace it.. I found an identical one on Amazon where the biggest complaint in the reviews was it's high price for a plastic faucet and the pump handle breaks..

Well needless to say I am not going to just replace mine with a new one like it, but I do need to replace it so I am coming here to seek advice..

I would like to get a faucet with either an electric pump or one with a switch to turn a remote electric pump on, preferably to only run when the faucet is opened.. If not a quality (prefer metal) manual pump would do.. One thing I would like best if the spigot is one of those which goes up higher before bending so I can get larger stuff under the faucet..

So what say you group??

flk k
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 15:47   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: New sink faucet needed

I'd go to a home improvement store and see what they have that may fit, single hole I assume?
Then get with maybe Hopkins Carter and get an electric pump that will run whatever you need it to, maybe a single fixture pump is all you would need.
If you can find a facet at a home improvement store that will look nice and fit, likely you will get a much better quality at a lower price I'm thinking.
Electric water pumps on the other hand are not cheap, but pressurized water is nice to have. You have no hot water I assume?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 16:36   #3

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

I put one from home depot in, but i have a pump pressure system already...
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 16:55   #4

I have a used on of those cheap ones .. I think. Probably not worth shipping. As mentioned above, a hardware store faucet is a fine/upgrade.... if you have a pump. Look for Bar Sink faucets, a lot of those have a big gooseneck that is very handy over a little boat sink.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cold-t-s-b-0305-deck-mounted-single-pantry-faucet-with-lever-handle-10-1-4-high-rigid-gooseneck-.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	127697  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 13:18   #5

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I have a used on of those cheap ones .. I think. Probably not worth shipping. As mentioned above, a hardware store faucet is a fine/upgrade.... if you have a pump. Look for Bar Sink faucets, a lot of those have a big gooseneck that is very handy over a little boat sink.
I will be replacing mine also if the boat sale goes through. Great idea, thanks.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 13:38   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

Having both pressure water and a foot pump in our galley my suggestion would be a foot pump and a no valve spigot. We never use the pressurized system as it wastes water and when our hands are dirty the foot pump is the bomb, no touching knobs or handles. May cost a bit more but worth it IMO.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...223&id=1561953

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...237&id=1125818
Old 13-07-2016, 19:24   #7

Boat: Rhodes Pearson 41 sloop

I bought a replacement at a home improvement box store, and the fittings to match up the water hose. Works fine.
jessehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 05:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Having both pressure water and a foot pump in our galley my suggestion would be a foot pump and a no valve spigot. We never use the pressurized system as it wastes water and when our hands are dirty the foot pump is the bomb, no touching knobs or handles. May cost a bit more but worth it IMO.

Fynspray Angled Galley Spout

Whale Gusher Mk3 Manual Galley Foot Pump

Gary,

I've now looked at lots of options (ad nauseam) and I think the one you suggests may just be the ticket.. I am going to check out available space on the deck in front of the sink and see if the foot pump will interfere with the cabinet door under the sink.. And yes, it is a little more, but I like the idea of the foot pump..

Thank you and to all others who offered suggestions.. Pictures once I get it replaced.. flk k
Old 14-07-2016, 08:15   #9

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard60 View Post
Gary,

I've now looked at lots of options (ad nauseam) and I think the one you suggests may just be the ticket.. I am going to check out available space on the deck in front of the sink and see if the foot pump will interfere with the cabinet door under the sink.. And yes, it is a little more, but I like the idea of the foot pump..

Thank you and to all others who offered suggestions.. Pictures once I get it replaced.. flk k

You might be well served by putting the pump inside the cabinet with a hole cut for the pump lever to extend out In front of the cabinet. That way you won't be tripping over the pump body but can easily step on the lever.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 08:55   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
You might be well served by putting the pump inside the cabinet with a hole cut for the pump lever to extend out In front of the cabinet. That way you won't be tripping over the pump body but can easily step on the lever.

S/V B'Shert
Thanks.. That was my intentions.. I just need to see what sort of clearance and kick guard the sink cabinet has.. flk k
Old 15-07-2016, 03:39   #11

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

We have probably the best of both worlds. We use the Gusher in line before the water pump. If we don't want pressure just shut it off and use the foot pump. Down side it only works in the galley, not the head.
Old 17-07-2016, 21:05   #12

Boat: O'Day 40

We have probably the best of both worlds

So, maybe stupid question, but, to be clear, both pumps allow free flow when not in use.
Old 18-07-2016, 08:27   #13

Boat: Catalina 30

Mine are 2 separate systems with a T before the pressure pump. I have a pressure spigot and a foot pump spigot. Neither pump allows water to pass when not in use, I have no shut off valves.
Old 18-07-2016, 09:45   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
We have probably the best of both worlds

So, maybe stupid question, but, to be clear, both pumps allow free flow when not in use.
Yes, usually a water pump has a simple intake and exhaust valve that will allow water to flow somewhat freely through, but not in reverse, there is some restriction of course, just not much
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 10:15   #15

Boat: O'Day 40

Bletso's solution is appealing because it doesn't require an additional spigot. My galley counter is crowded enough already.