Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2022, 06:25   #1

Boat: 1972 Bristol, 35
Leaking seacock bandaid?

Looking for advice in crafting a bandaid here to get my project boat along till I can afford the haul out to actually replace all the half siezed and dying seacocks from the 70s and re do the bottom paint, (hopefully in 6 months time)

I’m sort of assuming that flex seal might do the job for me, but I’m concerned that being a throughhull leak, water pressure will just push the paste right out of the way and seep right along to the edge of the paste and still be an issue, are there any specific products or materials sailors here would recommend?

More context:
The leak is occurring slowly around the through fitting and seeping through the wooden foot against the hull so the whole block is damp to the touch and growing salt crystals with occasional drips starting to become more frequent.

Previously we dealt with a leaking seacock in this renovation by just cutting the old one out, bunging the hole and glassing it from the inside to bandaid, but we’re stuck living on the renovation project at a dock and need to keep this seacock as a working drain for the time being

My current plan of action is to cover the wood block in flex paste and let dry, hope it holds the water back for a little bit, and then go over that with a layer or two of fiberglass mat to water tight all the edges against the hull and to the base of the metal seacock. Once we get to the haul out part of the renovation I know that will take more work to undo for the sake of replacing, but it’s the most solid way I can think to keep this old boat dry inside while I keep putting her back together
CapnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:38   #2

Re: Leaking seacock bandaid?

If you don't mind getting wet, maybe use Splash Zone? Cures under water.

https://www.pettitpaint.com/products...s/splash-zone/
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:20   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Toilet bowl wax. Inside and outside if you are worried. Holds back surprising amount of pressure. Some guy even sells it with a fancy marine name in a tub. But nust go to any hardware store and get the cheap ring, it will work fine.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:31   #4

Boat: 1972 Bristol, 35

That is a great idea! My granddad was a plumber, I shoulda thought of that there, thank you for the tip,
CapnMichael is offline   Reply With Quote