Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2017, 09:36   #16

Boat: Able 50
Re: I'm losing it with this valve

If you decide to replace the valve I can recommend the Forespar product. They are well made, cost around $59 and should last at least 20 years. Before starting work ease off the deck filler to blow off any pressure that might have built up in the holding tank and emptying the tank wouldn't hurt.

You don't want a brown shower.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:00   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
.... Before starting work ease off the deck filler to blow off any pressure that might have built up in the holding tank and emptying the tank wouldn't hurt.

You don't want a brown shower.
The holding tank should be vented. I wouldn't expect any pressure in the holding tank unless the vent was clogged.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 10:15   #18

Quote: "Same thing just happened to me. I tried and tried to move it and cracked my handle right off. Bought this new valve on amazon and it is really nice quality: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1"

Yep :-)! Got the same valve. I think it'll handle any poop I can throw at it :-)

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 12:44   #19

Boat: Baltic 52

A) Replace the valve. Check out Forespar's Marelon valves - they are durable and not hard to install.

B) Install correctly. Just make sure you've got the holding tank flow going there, and the rest falls into place (no pun intended).
Old 10-08-2017, 13:44   #20

It is very likely this valve is concreted together with calcium. If you can dismantle it chip out the calcium deposits and wash in an acid bath otherwise it will be a new valve. Fwiw I have found Marelon valves quite weak and the smaller ones break the valve stem easily. Good luck with that. Andrew
elandra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 14:05   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

If it's any help I'm pretty sure your valve was made by the Bosworth Pump Company.
Bosworth Company - Y Valves
Note they offer the valves with several handle styles. Yours looks like the standard straight handle. I like their Y handle.
Old 10-08-2017, 14:25   #22

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I had one of those (OP's) Y-valves. I bought it when I first started construction of Carina and it was seized when I went to install it, without ever being used. When I tried to operate it the handle broke off. It is cheap crap and has no place on a cruising boat.

I use bronze ball Y-valves now, with teflon seats. If it gets frozen from mineral deposits then just fill with white vinegar to dissolve. But this shouldn't happen if you regularly fill the head hoses with vinegar.

Marelon is a very good material for the valve body; the real question is the material used for the seals. Teflon is great, but rubber may or may not be good depending on the polymer.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 19:43   #23

Boat: Pearson 36-2, Pearson 26 'annapolis'

You guys are great. I have learned more than any squid deserves. I think I will replace the valve. I have only owned the boat for a year so still learning. I fear diverting to the tank when repaired. I found a dish of cat litter on top of the french made rubber tank. WTH???? My luck is not good with this one. I really need to do the change the name, feed Neptune ritual. Thanks all and good sailing.
TomLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 20:57   #24

Boat: Able 50

While you're at it you could check the hoses for calcium buildup and either clean or replace them. They look pretty old.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 19:25   #25

Thanks Sav,
I have been mulling this over for awhile. I washed the hoses and tank. The hose that goes to the tank just wouldn't come clean as you can see in the photo. The rest did ok. I probably need a new tank also. It looks to be in good shape, made in France, thick rubber, but.. it's old. Other than that, the jabsco commode works darn good considering. It's a keeper.
Old 14-08-2017, 19:32   #26

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

My French drinking water tanks (Nauta?) made of black material are still going strong after more than 25 years of use. I don't see any reason to replace yours unless there is a problem. As for hoses, you should get the stout hoses sold specifically for sanitation, as they resist odors escaping. Removing mineral deposits is easy with acids, starting with vinegar but sometimes needing stronger stuff - it may require patience.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 19:54   #27

Good put Greg, it's true the tank looks great, but just a new owner of this boat, I am still learning her. I have never seen a rubber tank before.
Old 14-08-2017, 22:52   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

All collapsible rubber holding tanks eventually get permeated and start to smell, just like sewage hoses. If yours is ten years or older, it's probably at the end of it's life. Rigid tanks are also easier to maintain. Have an inspection plate installed. I suggest you replace it with a rigid tank from Ronco. They make heavy wall tanks that should last the life of the boat. They make them in close to 500 sizes and shapes so you should find one that fits. When you look at the drawings, don't forget you can turn the tank any way you want. A low profile tank that is say 6" high and 18" wide can be a narrow tall tank 18" high and 6" wide.
https://ronco-plastics.com
Old 18-08-2017, 00:23   #29

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter

Don't try to fix it - it's too important a valve to risk another failure. Replace it with a MARLON ball valve which don't need lubrication. If necessary, they can be taken apart - don't lose the ball!! Buy at any good marine store.
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote