Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2008, 05:09   #1

Boat: Liberty 458 - Paso Doble
Losing the reverse air

Hi all,

I live on a 46 foot cutter and we are planning to go offshore. The boat has a reverse air system for heating and air conditioning that we never use. We use small space heaters; they work fine and they are much more efficient. The system only works on shore power, so it is essentially useless, as far as I can see.

Is there any reason not to remove this system? It is taking up quite a bit of locker space and, even when we are cruising in hot weather, I don't see us using it.
Robin Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 05:13   #2
cruiser

Start un-bolting. The systems are virtually useless IMO too. I was going to take both of mine out and sell them too. I ended up selling the boat first. I definitely agree... with only one caveat:

You may want to keep it only in the case you want air conditioning some hot, sticky night.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 05:19   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Reverse cycle heat works more efficently than space heaters as long as the water is above 45 degrees F. They are far safer too. They do a better job against condensation.

You will want it if you ever resell the boat. I can understand on the hook they ain't work the space they take up but a buyer that would want it would be looking at more than $10,000 to have it installed. I would think you could come up with a few cubic feet in a way that does not preclude the reverse cycle compressor.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 07:08   #4

Location: On Board - Currently - Heading back to SF Bay from Mexico.
Boat: Valiant 50 - Raptor Dance
Send a message via Skype™ to RaptorDance
Keep the system. When you go tropical, you'll wish you had it - the AC part that is.

Here in Mexico it's absolutely vital, particularly if you spend any time in Marinas - less breeze and shore power.

Regards,
Bill Finkelstein
Raptor Dance
Isla Navidad Marina, Colima, Mexico
SV Raptor Dance - Valiant 50 #107
Bill Finkelstein & Mary Mack
https://raptordance.com
RaptorDance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 11:03   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Yep keep it. It is the most economical heat you can produce and as said, you can use it to cool. A small heater won't do that. Being so expensive to install one, it would make a great selling point for your boat if you ever bring it to market. If you have a genset, you need to run that to charge the battery system. Having the AC on while dong so, just makes use of the excess power while the charger is charging. It can heat or sool and keep your boat that way for sometime afterwards, if you don't open the door that is.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 11:53   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Reverse cycle heat works more efficently than space heaters as long as the water is above 45 degrees F. They are far safer too. They do a better job against condensation.

You will want it if you ever resell the boat. I can understand on the hook they ain't work the space they take up but a buyer that would want it would be looking at more than $10,000 to have it installed. I would think you could come up with a few cubic feet in a way that does not preclude the reverse cycle compressor.
Ditto!

Anything that can produce heat/cold without moisture is a plus. If it's in good shape, I'd keep it and run a genset like Alan was saying.
Old 13-01-2008, 13:00   #7

Boat: Liberty 458 - Paso Doble
Thanks, friends. I am persuaded to keep it, since it really isnt causing any harm and we have lots of storage space.
Robin Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote