Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2023, 13:28   #1

Boat: Viko S35 & S2 7.3
HVAC place evaluation

Hi All!

I am planning to install HVAC on my Viko S35 (3 cabins version).
The main purpose is to cool V-berth and saloon area. We are planning to use V-berth as main sleeping area while docking in marina. I have calculated that I need 12K BTU based on the air volume of V-berth and saloon. I am planning to not use actively 2 aft cabin (mostly for storage) and keep doors closed most of the time. So I can go with 16K BTU units.

I have evaluated sizes of most popular 16KBTU HVAC and found 2 places on boat where I can install HVAC:

First is the place under V-berth: Intake is from bottom under v-berth and blow out is on top into both side of the bulkhead.
Pros: very traditional setup, the space under V-berth allows to install any brand and model of 16K BTU system. All ducts are hidden in the locker.
Cons: Noise- sleeping on the top of working AC is may be not best idea . Has somebody experience with sleeping on the top of working AC? I dont like also idea to have 6 inch hole in compartments on the waterline level.

Second option is to install behind starboard sit in saloon area.
Pros: It will have intake in middle of saloon, opposite of galley. I can also easy re-route ducts into aft if I will decide to sleep in aft cabin. Easy maintenance access. No big holes at waterline levels. I can also easy temporary increase in-take area by opening the salon cushion.
Cons: intake is not from bottom but on window level. I need to solve issues of aesthetic duct in salon. Not every model of 16K BTU units will fit here but at least Dometics ECD 16K does.

Can you help me with ideas and your experience? I have attached picture with drawing for both options.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_20231031_145015.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	282886  
Texasvlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 14:32   #2

Boat: Riva 48
Re: HVAC place evaluation

Saloon.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2023, 15:11   #3

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

Have tried (rather unsuccessfully) to quiet several under berth installations. Don't recommend it. Even with added dense foam insulation or intermediate enclosure you can't reduce noise and vibration to a comfortable level for sleeping. Close proximity to the intake and distribution grilles also allows too much fan noise.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 07:17   #4

Thank you, Pizzazz and Turtle. I will go for saloon installation. It will require some technical question but I will post it in new thread.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:39   #5

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

Sure, Good Luck.
Biggest suggestion I can make is don't restrict the fan intake. Make sure that your return air grille(s) are at least the same size as the intake filter frame and 125% is better. The less the fan has to pull the more it can push and the better the system performance.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 10:16   #6

1) I've never seen an AC Discharge underwater. I would not want one there. I would place it through hull above water.

2) In your diagram, it doesn't appear there is room or easy access to install a seacock on the raw water intake. You're going to need a through hull, a seacock, and that should be routed to a sea-strainer.

I don't like the raw water routing in your diagram at all.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 10:20   #7

Boat: Moody 376

onmy moody 376 my ac is under the V berth. with one small duct in V berth and large duct in salon. I have to use cabin fans to get the cool air to aft cabin.

we sleep in aft cabin so noise is not a problem. vberth and salon will be cool/cold while aft cabin is habitable in the summer time on the Chesapeake.

if you're tired enough the the V berth sleeping isn't bad. but working on the ac/plumbing in the v berth isn't comfortable.

another down side to is that you are putting weight forward, where you already have enough weight (anchor/chain).

keep in mind that as shrew mentions you will need intake and discharge for the cooling water and a water pump. and you will want the discharge above the waterline. but those items can be moutend elswhere
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 14:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
1) I've never seen an AC Discharge underwater. I would not want one there. I would place it through hull above water.

2) In your diagram, it doesn't appear there is room or easy access to install a seacock on the raw water intake. You're going to need a through hull, a seacock, and that should be routed to a sea-strainer.

I don't like the raw water routing in your diagram at all.
Shrew, yeah , sorry I have did draw all details for raw water line: i did not draw strainer, pump and discharge line. I just wanted to show that Option II will have it longer but it is less concern for me since it is just 5/8" pipe. Planning the routing of 6 inch duct pipe is more concern for me. And regarding of discharge line - yes Option I will have it above water but very close. But anyway , all recommendation that I have seen - recommend to have discharge hole is just one feet above water . Is that correct?
Old 02-11-2023, 15:08   #9

Not sure how far above the water line our output is - I'm guessing more than a foot. But you'll want a loop in the hose anyway.

We have the A/C under the cabin sofa. Seems too noisy for a sleeping area.

Are you routing condensate back into the bilge?
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 15:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
Not sure how far above the water line our output is - I'm guessing more than a foot. But you'll want a loop in the hose anyway.

We have the A/C under the cabin sofa. Seems too noisy for a sleeping area.

Are you routing condensate back into the bilge?
I dont sure about condensate line yet. If I would go for Option I - it would be only one choice because the tray would be below water line but since I will probably go Option II - I can run condensate overboard. Can I merge it into discharge seacock? Or have separate hole? I still can put into bilge or separate container for drinking How much will be collected per day?
Old 04-03-2024, 10:18   #11

Thank you everybody who can help me to make decision. I am posting the result of installation AC in saloon. Total cost of AC and parts was $4444.
That doesnt include the cost of TV: $700.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC1K.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	287254  

Tags
hvac