Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2022, 15:26   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter
Hot Water Heater Recommendations Please

I have spent quite some time Googling for a hot water heater. I'm confused, so I'm hoping collective knowledge/expertise will help point me in the right direction. Assume only two aboard, water conservative showers. Engine heat exchanger and 115VAC required. No more than 5-6 gallon size.

Experience & advice solicited... Make/Model Good/Bad/Ugly

Thanks!
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 15:39   #2

Re: Hot Water Heater Recommendations Please

Out boat came with an Isotemp, I believe the "Spa" series (or its predecessor). Our is 5.5 gallons/25 liters. We have never run it on the electrical circuit, so can't comment on that side of things, but we do have it connected to the engine. Keeps water hot for 24-48 hours in the tropics, warm for another day. 24 hours only in more temperate climes. Easily enough water for two of us to shower without reaching the end of the tank.

With engine heat driving the water temperature to 75-80C the tempering valve is a must. Ours did stop working at 10-12 years old, simply replaced with a standard device from the plumbing store.

If I were installing from scratch I might consider one of the diesel-fired heaters designed for space heating, but we also frequently sail in areas where heat is more necessary than FL.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 15:47   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

I’ve been looking as well and isotemp looks good but I’ve been seeing too many horror stories recently and they all seem to be similar stories. They really look like a quality product, good insulation, decent price and mixing valve (most don’t) but rusty failed welds keep popping up in reviews. If isotemp would acknowledge this and correct it I wouldn’t hesitate, until then I’m sceptical. While warranty does seem to be honoured it’s still the inconvenience of replacing seals, or swapping the tank, purging the cooling system etc every year or two.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 15:56   #4

Boat: Trlåren 31

Why would you need to heat hot water?
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:02   #5

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nord Sal View Post

Hot showers?
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:31   #6

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Hot showers?
He's referring to the seemingly redundant term "Hot Water Heater". Some people think it should just be a "Water Heater".

We installed an Isotemp Slimline about 4 years ago and have had absolutely no issues with it. Like others have said, it keeps hot water available for a long time and is easily adequate for two of us on board. We regularly use the unit powered by AC (genset or shore power) as well as from the auxiliary.

We are very happy with the Isotemp. Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 09:51   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
That one had me scratching my head as well!
Old 09-02-2022, 07:56   #8

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
You beat me to it!
Like me, I’m sure you just couldn’t resist.
It’s kind of always been one of my pet peeves - calling a water heater a “Hot” water heater. Like you, I always have to ask “if the water is already hot why do you want to heat it”

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 14-02-2022, 07:42   #9

We had a Whale Seaward aluminum 11 gallon tank on our Ranger Tug. It had a 1500 watt heating element. We noticed that the screens on the faucets were becoming clogged with aluminum oxide (the tank is aluminum). We decided to replace the tank. We purchased an 11 gallon Isotemp stainless tank with a 750 watt element. We wondered if the 750 watt element would be adequate for the two of us. It is not an issue though, and we have plenty of hot water for the two of us to shower. Initially, the water temp was too low for our liking even with the unit turned to maximum. I contacted Isotemp and they told me that the proportioning valve could be loosened and the temp adjusted to a higher temperature. That worked like a charm. Our potable water tank in the Pacific Northwest (San Juan Islands) gets cold so that may be the reason. The mixing valve added very cold water to the output. One comment about installing the Isotemp. It works well but beware that it comes with British pipe threads (BSP) while the U.S. and Canada use American pipe threads (NPT= National Pipe thread). The difference is the angulation of the thread, British being 55 degrees while the American/Canadian pipe is 60 degrees angulation. I thought it wouldn't be a consequential difference but boy was I wrong. I finally had to get a BSP to NPT connector. Without this it was a heck of a time getting the connections to stop leaking. The threads didn't match up well without the connector.
Wildcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 03:11   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Molenmaker Dutch steel gaff-rigged ketch

Indeed. A cold water heater would be far preferable.

Quote:
Capt. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 07:42   #11

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
I’ve been looking as well and isotemp looks good but I’ve been seeing too many horror stories recently and they all seem to be similar stories. They really look like a quality product, good insulation, decent price and mixing valve (most don’t) but rusty failed welds keep popping up in reviews. If isotemp would acknowledge this and correct it I wouldn’t hesitate, until then I’m sceptical. While warranty does seem to be honoured it’s still the inconvenience of replacing seals, or swapping the tank, purging the cooling system etc every year or two.
Why do you purge the cooling system every year or two.
Air pockets? Or ?
Never have a problem with mine.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 14:50   #12
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Why do you purge the cooling system every year or two.
Air pockets? Or ?
Never have a problem with mine.
Boatyarddog
If you’re having to remove the water heater due to warranty issues ie full replacement every other year.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 16:10   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
I have spent quite some time Googling for a hot water heater. I'm confused, so I'm hoping collective knowledge/expertise will help point me in the right direction. Assume only two aboard, water conservative showers. Engine heat exchanger and 115VAC required. No more than 5-6 gallon size.

Experience & advice solicited... Make/Model Good/Bad/Ugly

Thanks!
https://www.svb24.com/en/quick-warm-...boiler-b3.html
USA shop
https://www.mauriprosailing.com/us/p...05S000A00.html

https://www.quickusastore.com/boat-s...-water-heater/

this is a working horse 20-30 year usually without problem
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 17:23   #14
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

I have an Isotemp Slim B 25 liter. It came with the boat and runs very well. Has both heat from engine and electric when I have shore power. I can run it off my inverter but typically don't. Keeps water hot a long time, like a couple days.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 17:32   #15

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

I replaced a Raritan 10gal tank that was more than 30 years old and was still working fine, more or less. I replaced it on the advice of Raritan because they could not provide a new thermostat for the tank and in their view, it was time to retire it. Other than the thermostat, the tank had no other issues.

I replaced the above with a new Raritan that was the same physical size but only holds 6 gallons (US). Over the years, Raritan has added a lot of insulation to their tanks. The tank is under the V berth and during the colder months, provided a warm bed. The new tank doesn't leak enough heat to accomplish this desirable outcome but we aren't wasting power either.

Our second boat also has a Raritan tank that is now about 25 years old. Still going strong and no issues during the 3 years that we have owned this boat.

Both are connected to the engine cooling system and both are wired to the 120V panel when we are connected to shore power. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Raritan despite the price.

Tags
heater, lease, men, water