Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2019, 11:05   #16

Boat: Stuart 47
Re: HOT HOT HOT! running AC on Honda generator

FYI
Boat I recently purchased had a fire on the aft deck, caused by Honda 2 Petrol Gen Set.
The details:
Gen set had been running for some time.
Deliberately shut down using the knob, Prev Owner went below. Few minutes later, fire on the deck from the genset.
One of the issues with the Honda is that there is no way to run the carby out of fuel. The knob shuts the engine down and leaves fuel in the carby bowl.
Obviously the unit was faulty. The problem is the closed up nature of most of these gensets means the faults are not obvious to a cursory glance.
Has anyone else had this experience?
Toccata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 16:23   #17

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Have a 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite catamaran. Seawind option of a Dometic 18k BTU unit with the Smart Start. Runs fine with the Honda 2200 generator, even in eco mode. Speeds up when it needs to, and drops down when pump goes off. I've done it, it's my boat, so speak from firsthand knowledge. Not running thru an inverter to cover startup overload - air con is direct to shore power, which in gen case is direct to get outlet.

And yes the gen had the fuel valve recall service.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2019, 16:25   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
FYI
Boat I recently purchased had a fire on the aft deck, caused by Honda 2 Petrol Gen Set.
The details:
Deliberately shut down using the knob, Prev Owner went below. Few minutes later, fire on the deck from the genset.
One of the issues with the Honda is that there is no way to run the carby out of fuel. The knob shuts the engine down and leaves fuel in the carby bowl.
Obviously the unit was faulty. The problem is the closed up nature of most of these gensets means the faults are not obvious to a cursory glance.
New Honda 2.2 (2200 watt) has a position to shut off fuel and run the carb dry.
Old 20-04-2019, 18:49   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
HOT HOT HOT! running AC on Honda generator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
New Honda 2.2 (2200 watt) has a position to shut off fuel and run the carb dry.

Yes, but you probably don’t want to do that unless your not going to run it for awhile, reason is it will be hard to start if you do, because the fuel pump will have to fill the carburetor before it starts, and it does that by you pulling the starting cord and operating the fuel pump.

Download the manual and look at page 28.

Even the old EU2000I shuts off the fuel when the engine switch is placed in the off position, it’s not just a kill switch, so what the OP is describing must somehow be a failure of some kind to allow fuel to spill, or the switch was not fully in the off position.

The EU 2000 the engine off switch as you start to turn it initially turns off ignition and as you continue to turn it, it turn off the fuel.
The EU 2200 apparently does the same thing, but in reverse, it first turns off the fuel and if you continue to turn it, it turns off the ignition, allowing you to stop after the fuel is off and allow it to run out of fuel.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 18:06   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Yes, but you probably don’t want to do that unless your not going to run it for awhile, reason is it will be hard to start if you do, because the fuel pump will have to fill the carburetor before it starts, and it does that by you pulling the starting cord and operating the fuel pump.

Download the manual and look at page 28.
It's not an issue. Our gen was completely empty of fuel. Filled tank today. Took three pulls to start.
Old 30-04-2019, 08:30   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
FYI
The details:
There is a recall on some Honda 2200i generators. Their fuel valve leaks and is a fire hazard.

https://www.consumerreports.org/reca...er-generators/
Old 30-04-2019, 08:56   #22

I had the recall work done on mine at a Honda sports equipment shop in Stuart, Florida before we left cruising six weeks ago. Took them 30 minutes to get it done. Said Honda had parts put to them before the recall, so they could be prepared. They had a half dozen units there being worked on.
Old 30-04-2019, 09:31   #23

A comment on noise.

You, buttoned up tight in your cabin with the ac fan running will not think the Honda is noisy, and will be happy to run it all night. Your neighbors in the anchorage who have hatches open will hate your guts by the morning. If that matters to you.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 09:42   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
A comment on noise.

You, buttoned up tight in your cabin with the ac fan running will not think the Honda is noisy, and will be happy to run it all night. Your neighbors in the anchorage who have hatches open will hate your guts by the morning. If that matters to you.
In four month cruise from Texas to Bahamas and back in 2016, I used my Honda gen once, to charge batteries. It was off by 9 pm. So far this year once, during the afternoon. It's a backup when we cruise Bahamas and Florida. But when we cruise Texas in August, it gets used to run the air conditioning at night. But it's rare for us to see another boat in the anchorage then. (Probably because it's stinking hot then!). And standing next to it while running, the Honda is pretty quiet. I think quieter than those diesel setups.
Old 30-04-2019, 12:27   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I run our Honda almost every day. To make water or heat water and to put an initial charge on the batteries.
But I don’t run it until say 8AM and not after about 6PM. With usually all the boats zipping around and wind, it’s hard to hear it 50 feet away.
Old 30-04-2019, 12:57   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
A comment on noise.

If it's the same anchorage I'm in go ahead and run it! I can hear it were outside but not when down below. And just because I can heard it it doesn't mean I think it is loud.

I was on a 3 boat raft up last month on a mooring. The other 2 boats would run their Hondas and I could barely tell really. BUT when the wind picked up and their damn wind generators started screaming that was a different story

Even though I have an installed diesel generator I'm considering getting a Honda just for the aft air conditioner at night.

Far as I'm concerned the quiet generators like the Hondas are just white noise.
Old 30-04-2019, 13:49   #27

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

Yeah, what’s the deal with wind generators? Most of them are fairly quiet, a few are very quiet and a few are really loud! Or are the loud ones just worn out and I’m hearing bad bearings?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2019, 16:38   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Yeah, what’s the deal with wind generators? Most of them are fairly quiet, a few are very quiet and a few are really loud! Or are the loud ones just worn out and I’m hearing bad bearings?

No, some are just really loud, and others not.

There is a guy in Georgetown that has a homemade wind generator hanging in the fore triangle, thing has an 8’ prop on it and makes power in low wind and as near as I could tell was completely silent.

Really interesting set up.

However when we were berthed in Panama City the boat two boats down had a wind generator that could wake the dead, really obnoxious thing and as we were all plugged into shorepower I didn’t understand why he had it operating. He didn’t stay on the boat.

One day apparently a sea gull flew into the thing, sprayed bird blood and guts all over the boat beside of it.

The loud wind generators you get to hear all day and night, and the noise isn’t steady either of course, I can’t imagine how the people who own them can stand the things.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:04   #29

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
There is a guy in Georgetown that has a homemade wind generator hanging in the fore triangle, thing has an 8’ prop on it and makes power in low wind and as near as I could tell was completely silent.

Really interesting set up.
We see one or two Ferris Hamilton WP-200 units in the Bahamas each year.

http://www.hamiltonferris.com/images/pdf/pdf_377.pdf

Bill Murdoch
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:48   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
We see one or two Ferris Hamilton WP-200 units in the Bahamas each year.

http://www.hamiltonferris.com/images/pdf/pdf_377.pdf

Bill Murdoch

It looked exactly like that, he said he built it, is this a kit maybe?

Tags
generator, honda