Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2023, 18:17   #1

Hose to connect propane tank to magma style grill regulator

I’m thinking instead of connecting my grill to the little bottles of propane and having to constantly be keeping those around that I would be better off just connecting it to the large tanks in my locker. My locker houses 2 tanks so I figured the easiest way is to have one connected to my stove and the 2nd one just leave a hose coiled up in the locker and pull it out when we went to use the grill.

I’d need about 15’ of hose and the attachments to hook up to the regulator. Does anyone make a kit like this?
nuru05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 02:31   #2

Re: Hose to connect propane tank to magma style grill regulator

DOZYANT 18 Feet Propane Adapter Hose 1 lb to 20 lb Converter Replacement for QCC1 / Type1 Tank Connects 1 LB Bulk Portable Appliance to 20 lb Propane Tank https://a.co/d/cmUc42a
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 06:57   #3

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

We have both tanks plumbed to a dual regulator which lets us switch from one tank to the other. Then after the regulator we have a T fitting with the T hose going to the BBQ Grill on the stern rail (there is a ball valve to allow us to shut off this hose).

You also need to swap out the regulator on your grill with a low pressure valve in this scenario. Having one tank for grill and one for cooker in the galley seems like a less flexible approach.

This: https://defender.com/en_us/trident-m...-kit-g-265-120
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 10:50   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

There are 2 ways to do this. High pressure or low pressure. If you split the propane line before the regulator, then the regulator on the magma will work, and all you need is an inexpensive adapter hose like mvweebles shows. This is what I do using a y adapter. https://www.amazon.com/Propane-Y-Spl.../dp/B01HFRIKT8

I don't think that is technically ABYC compliant, however, because you have high pressure line exiting the propane locker. I don't think it matters because it is all outdoors.

The "better" way is to split the propane after the regulator, and then replace the regulator on the Magma with a low pressure valve. You will need the kit that jordanbigel gives, and also the magma part(assuming a magma grill) https://defender.com/en_us/magma-lpg...-valve-a10-220

The first option is way cheaper and easier.
Old 04-07-2023, 11:27   #5

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
I’m thinking instead of connecting my grill to the little bottles of propane and having to constantly be keeping those around that I would be better off just connecting it to the large tanks in my locker. My locker houses 2 tanks so I figured the easiest way is to have one connected to my stove and the 2nd one just leave a hose coiled up in the locker and pull it out when we went to use the grill.

I’d need about 15’ of hose and the attachments to hook up to the regulator. Does anyone make a kit like this?

We do it this way but with a slightly shorter hose (3m), similar to that shown by @mvweebles but purchased in the camping supplies section of our local chain hardware store (Canadian Tire). Just make sure that you turn the gas off at the tank, not the grill, and let the grill burn off the gas in the line each time you use it. Amazing how much gas there is in that line and, if the breeze is blowing the wrong way, imo a danger to your boat if it finds its way below.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 08:33   #6

If we replaced the regulator on the grill does that one allow us to turn it down lower? One thing that drives me crazy is that even on it’s lowest setting my grill is always like 500 degrees. I actually use the latches to prop the cover open a bit so it doesn’t just incinerate everything in 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
There are 2 ways to do this. High pressure or low pressure. If you split the propane line before the regulator, then the regulator on the magma will work, and all you need is an inexpensive adapter hose like mvweebles shows. This is what I do using a y adapter. https://www.amazon.com/Propane-Y-Spl.../dp/B01HFRIKT8

I don't think that is technically ABYC compliant, however, because you have high pressure line exiting the propane locker. I don't think it matters because it is all outdoors.

The "better" way is to split the propane after the regulator, and then replace the regulator on the Magma with a low pressure valve. You will need the kit that jordanbigel gives, and also the magma part(assuming a magma grill) https://defender.com/en_us/magma-lpg...-valve-a10-220

The first option is way cheaper and easier.
Old 05-07-2023, 14:26   #7

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuru05 View Post
If we replaced the regulator on the grill does that one allow us to turn it down lower? One thing that drives me crazy is that even on it’s lowest setting my grill is always like 500 degrees. I actually use the latches to prop the cover open a bit so it doesn’t just incinerate everything in 5 minutes.
Probably not. But only way to know is to try it.
Old 05-07-2023, 14:54   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

I have had a setup to run my grill off main propane for 9 years. I have had 3 grills in that time.

Be aware that in my experience the heat is less that with the 1 lb bottle for some reason. And I am even using a size valve/LP orifice larger than what mine grill calls for.
Old 05-07-2023, 19:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have had a setup to run my grill off main propane for 9 years. I have had 3 grills in that time.

Be aware that in my experience the heat is less that with the 1 lb bottle for some reason. And I am even using a size valve/LP orifice larger than what mine grill calls for.
Honestly the lower heat is better, one thing that drives me crazy about my grill is that it runs so hot. It sits at 500 when it’s turned as low as it will go.

Tags
agm, Grill, propane, regulator