Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2015, 11:56   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Hose for AC pump

The hose between the raw water magnetic pump and the AC unit has developed a leaking crack near the pump outflow. The existing hose is reinforced Trident. I'm not sure of the number but it appears to be 3/4 in i.d.

It strikes me that hose like this is extreme overkill for the relatively low pressure output of the pump. Not to mention expensive for the 15 ft or so I'll need to replace it.

So my question for the forum gurus is: what other options ( if any ) are there for the hose material? I've seen some clear, reinforced hose that looks more flexible, and less expensive. Also, I forgot to mention the AC is 16K btu.

Thank you for your input

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 11:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Hose for AC pump

Go to Lowes and buy the clear / reinforced stuff, it's like a $1.57 a ft I think.
As you say, there is no pressure in this hose, just flow. I wouldn't go as cheap as the clear vinyl, but I bet it would work too.
I think mine are 5/8" though?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 12:14   #3

Not to mention the side pressure applyed to the plastic nipples that the stiff marine hoses have and they weather crack sooner than most hoses?? BUT you could lift an engine with them!!
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 12:34   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Go to Lowes and buy the clear / reinforced stuff, it's like a $1.57 a ft I think.
As you say, there is no pressure in this hose, just flow. I wouldn't go as cheap as the clear vinyl, but I bet it would work too.
I think mine are 5/8" though?

Thanks for the suggestion. Mine might be 5/8 in, I need to measure it. I've got relocate the pump too. That leak went straight down to my starter motor. I am now several hundred dollars wiser 😩. At the same time I'll probably relocate the sea strainer.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2015, 12:37   #5

Boat: S2 10.3 & TMC Custom 41 Trawler

There may be little pressure in the hose but don't forget it is below the waterline and is all that stands between you and the bottom ! Spend the money
NakedCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 08:10   #6

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedCity View Post
There may be little pressure in the hose but don't forget it is below the waterline and is all that stands between you and the bottom ! Spend the money
From the thru hull to the pump yes....and maybe past the pump if well below the waterline...but up near or above the waterline anything more than reinforced vinyl hose is overkill past the usual install.

And while I am on that soapbox...the reinforced vinyl hose had better operating limits than the wire reinforced marine wet hose, wont rust out and based on replacing bazillion hoses through the years of all kinds, seems to last just as long or longer. It just doesn't tolerate vacuum as well as wire reinforced obviously.

One surveyor I have read agrees and uses it on his engine raw water circuit and likes the "see into" advantage.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 16:16   #7

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

It is 5/8 for the AC.
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 21:19   #8

Boat: Lagoon 40

I just changed my hoses, as the one from the pump to the rear AC was near completely blocked with barnacles. Yes, I have a strainer, and I had flushed it several times - each time it got worse. All I can assume is that during winter, sea water had baby barnacles in and they grew. Anyway, the hose I removed was imprinted with:
"MPI AirCON PVC 125 psi WP 163-0580 5/8" USA"

I went to West marine and was going to buy their 5/8 water hose, but they were out ($5 something per foot), so went to Lowes and purchased their reinforced PVC at $1.70 per foot. I think its rated at 165psi, has a thicker wall than the PVC AIRCON and is reinforced. The AIRCON product is a thin rubber pipe coated with PVC, and the Lowes product is thicker, reinforced, and has a higher pressure rating. Since in my application it will not be exposed to sunlight, I am sure it will be fine.

As an aside, I have re-plumbed mine with a couple of valves so I can easily flush with fresh water when the units are going to be layed up for a while

Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote