Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2023, 14:07   #1

Help needed with holding tank plumbing

Hi everybody,

I apologize in advance for both my lousy drawing skills and for posting about a subject that has been covered before.

I'm completely new to boat plumbing and even though I've been searching throughout the forum/Web I'm still at a loss on how to proceed.

I am renovating an 80s sailboat and I now realize I haven't taken enough pictures of how things were before I started ripping (almost) everything apart.

The picture attached shows how the bathroom was before and I'd like to ask for your wisdom, help and experience to improve where you guys see fit.

I have a few questions:

1) I assume, considering the layout, that the eletric pump is only for deck discharge and the toilet manual pump is for discharging into the holding tank or out to sea depending on the Y valve position?

2) Contrary to what I've seen in the forum, this layout had no loops whatsoever. Should I consider loops and where?

3) I also have a 3/4" seacock that I can't remember what's for. Could this be for the sink outlet, for example?

Each and every suggestion is welcome and I thank you in advance for all the help! Happy sailing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230317_204507.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	272892  
JCrespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 17:03   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Help needed with holding tank plumbing

First, welcome to the forum. I can tell you one thing for sure...that is in that sketch there are no vented loops. Maybe a good idea would be to either repost under plumbing or have the mods do it for you. A good book to own is Calders maintenance book.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 17:48   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Toilet out to the bottom of the tank will always cause problems / blockages, if the tank is higher than the toilet it will back flow into the pan. Even pooh finds its own level. Far better to go; toilet - loop - top of tank (no valves). The outlet to sea at the bottom of the tank with a single valve. You shouldn't need a pump most "pump outs" suck. The vent needs to sufficiently large to allow air flow in when being sucked out.

BTW - Welcome.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 06:54   #4

Thanks, I've seen a lot of references to that book, seems like now I have a good excuse to buy it ��
Old 18-03-2023, 06:56   #5

Many thanks, I should have found this forum earlier. I will definitely include your tips on my final diagram.
Old 18-03-2023, 15:24   #6

Updated diagram of my "as is" situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20230318-WA0037.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	272944  

Tags
holding tank, plumbing