Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2016, 17:02   #1

gulfstar 60 refrigerator

hello; a couple of year ago i bought a gulfstar 60 and have has some refrigerator problem with leakage of water. without going into the details, me question is if anyone can help by letting me know the original maker and where manuals on it might be found. i am convinced that there has been some modifications that have created a condensation/water drainage problem. thanks, rbrb
rbrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 09:42   #2

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: gulfstar 60 refrigerator

Welcome to the forum.

It would really help us all with diagnosing your fridge trouble if you could post a few pictures of the unit that is installed and were the water is coming from .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2016, 10:30   #3

will do and thanks...it will take a couple of days...thanks again
Old 14-06-2016, 10:26   #4

Hello...attached, i hope, are three pictures. one is of the front of the refrigerator and simply shows the two doors and their respective handles. the other two show the situation when the bottom door is closed and the top door is open and out of the way. the white is the top of the door; the black is the weatherstripping and the brown wood is the leading edge of the middle shelf. the wood is attached to the shelf and as i hope can be seen is about an inch away from the insulation. so my basic question is how can this be correct. the two doors have weatherstripping on all four sides and on three of them it snugly touches the wall of the refrigerator. but on the top of the bottom door and the bottom of the tip door, there is the one inch gap. this seems to have to created a situation where external air can seep between the doors, not a large gap but a gap nonetheless, and then in to the insides of the refrigerator, thereby creating a condensation problem. any insights on this would be appreciated. this looks like the original set up but at the same time it seems not proper to me. thanks again. rb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	another crack shot.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	126158   Click image for larger version

Name:	crack.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	126159  

Click image for larger version

Name:	two doors.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	126160  
Old 14-06-2016, 11:39   #5

Boat: Bristol 45.5

So the question is , does your existing system work ?

If it does then you have more of a cabinetry problem then a refrigeration problem. You nay have a problem behind the cabinet pushing out the box , Has this boat been in cold climates ? Frozen condensation behind the box may have pushed the whole cabinetry out . Water damage behind could have cause some wood to rot and the tabbing to let go , maybe a collision in that area ........?

You won't like my advice , but I would tear the whole thing out and and go with a top loading set up , Front loading refrigeration systems do not belong on sailboats with limited electrical generating capacity .
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 15:05   #6

no problem with your observations about the need for a new system, but i don't think that there was any re-positioning due to frozen condensation or damage. it seems that for some reason the shelf against which both the bottom and top doors abut is recessed about an inch so that there is a gap. the shelves above and below, neither of which touch the doors, are forward of the other shelf about the same inch or so...so again, it seems that for some reason the middle shelf was at some point recessed, but i may be missing something and don't simply want to move it out since there may be something else going on.
thanks, rb

Tags
gulfstar, refrigerator