Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2020, 05:09   #1

Galley saltwater wash - stinks and filters

In considering a saltwater wash at the galley, but powered by a small electric pump instead of manually, how do others control stink? Also regarding to filtering, do you just rely on a typical weed-strainer at the seacock, or install a nice paper filter?
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:24   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Galley saltwater wash - stinks and filters

We've got saltwater washdown with a pressure actuated pump. It works fine, with just the main seacock strainer. I suppose if you leave seawater sitting in your pumping for a long time, stuff will grow in it, but your regular use should take care of that. If I were adding seawater at the galley sink, I suspect that I would run it through a Rancor under the sink where it would be easy to clean out.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:50   #3

What do you do when leaving the boat for a long period? I assume put some bleach in the strainer, run it through the system, then close the seacock.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 06:55   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

I frequently flush my saltwater system with freshwater, and will occasionally follow a freshwater rinse with a diluted bleach rinse and a another freshwater rinse. If I am not in open water that is very clear, I close the seacock and rinse with freshwater so no saltwater sits in it.

I do this simply by removing the hose from the seacock and sticking it in a small bucket.

I don't have any filters etc, as I keep the seacock closed if not in clean water. I've not had any issues.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:20   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

We do nothing to the system when the boat is inactive. I suppose that one of these days I'll use the system and get a smelly surprise, but the easiest flush is to open the faucet. The hoses would clear in a few seconds. Overall, and particularly if you avoid sucking dirty water into the system, I doubt that you will have a problem. The water around here is not super clean, and our watermaker does smell of hydrgen sulfide after sitting awhile, but there again, a short flush before use handles the problem.
Old 09-11-2020, 10:24   #6

Seawater is full of life. These little sea creatures will die in stagnant pipes and start aerobic decomposition with copious emissions of Hydrogen Sulfide. (They die, rot and stink). I would flush with fresh water when leaving the boat or in periods of disuse.
Exctyengr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:50   #7

I assume it would smell just slightly less than a saltwater head that sits baking in the heat of a closed up boat for a week in the summertime.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 18:26   #8
Marine Service Provider

+1 for the need to flush all the sea water out of the whole system before the boat will sit. Easiest way might be to tee a hose off a gallon milk jug filled with fresh water...the other end of that hose needs be between thru-hull and the pump. Without seeing your plumbing I'll have to leave it to you and others to figure out how to get the water out of the milk jug.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley, salt, water