Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 14:09   #16

Re: freshwater pumps that don't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Have you tried the Jabsco PUR belt driven pumps? Ours were 30+ years old and still working fine (with new rubber parts every so often). Something like this?

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp...231&id=3960045

Matt
I never liked them much, but you may have a point, maybe they are very reliable. .....
-too expensive... like $500!
-low water flow.

I've often wondered why not just use a sturdy centrifugal pump of some sort? add some kind of commercial pressure switch..? That's what powers my house pressure... for 20 years.
-Very little to go wrong.
-No hard "shock" in the system as centrifugals essentially just throw water thru and opening.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 14:20   #17
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Thinwater, I don’t think I’ve ever disagreed with you but there is always a first time. The new variable speed pumps are designed to operate without an expansion tank. In fact it seems to hurt them when there is a tank in the system.

Could be. You've seen more of them than I have. I have seen no-tank systems that used a pump that said it could handle it, but they had short life times.

I also have a fundamental problem with systems that include hot water with no expansion tank. Seems like asking for trouble (in a home the pressure goes back up the inlet).

I agree that a variable speed pump should NOT be used with a tank. One or the other.
Old 12-07-2018, 14:28   #18

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
So recently the big thing was the variable speed pumps. No accumulator required. How have those worked out for longevity? haven't heard a word about them for quite a while.
Ours had one.
Boat was pretty much a dock queen prior to us getting her and plumbed into shore water, so not using the pump.

Within 6 months of us getting her and being on the hook that pump was dead.

We currently run a vetus 24v 13lpm, 2nd one in a year, but 3 year warranty and fast replacement.
Our interim spare was a new and identical shurflo pump, it died before the replacement vetus arrived.
We now have an 8 litre accumulator tank on so interested to see if the vetus lasts longer.

We'll be looking at either a 24v centrifugal or 240v pump next time.

Probably this from a country wide hardware chain has a 3 year warranty.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-42...-pump_p0014939
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 14:37   #19

I've been using the Flojet Quad 3.3GPM pumps for 20 years with an accumulator tank on three boats. Never had a failure although that may be because I carry a spare - they're only $100.

The current one is going strong at 5 years. I once got tempted by the new 5GPM Variable Speed pumps. Boy was that a mistake. The first failed in a year. The second free replacement under a West Marine replacement warranty failed in 18 months.

So I went back to the plain Jane Flojet. A silver lining is that 3.3GMP means guests drain the water tank more slowly when they leave the tap on.

As mentioned, an accumulator tank is important.
CarlF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 14:57   #20

Agree with the belt driven Jabsco pumps. Had one that was since 1985 and it still performs well. Durable and efficient.
Bobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 15:00   #21

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

OP, whats the mode of failure?

Most pump motors and heads are very reliable, its usually the pressure switch that fails.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 15:00   #22

re: Centrifugals:

DC pump 316 SS
https://www.jmesales.com/mp-pumps-cf...kaAqfeEALw_wcB

1/4 hp AC voltage pump. (use with a small invertor?)
https://www.grainger.com/product/5PX...180712215720:s
12V DC bronze
https://www.grainger.com/product/DAY..._vc=IDPPLARECS

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 15:04   #23

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Ours had one.
Boat was pretty much a dock queen prior to us getting her and plumbed into shore water, so not using the pump.

Within 6 months of us getting her and being on the hook that pump was dead.

We currently run a vetus 24v 13lpm, 2nd one in a year, but 3 year warranty and fast replacement.
Our interim spare was a new and identical shurflo pump, it died before the replacement vetus arrived.
We now have an 8 litre accumulator tank on so interested to see if the vetus lasts longer.

We'll be looking at either a 24v centrifugal or 240v pump next time.

Probably this from a country wide hardware chain has a 3 year warranty.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-42...-pump_p0014939
Make that seaflo
NOT shurflo
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 15:28   #24

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I've got two of the Jabsco versions on our boat (one for oil and the other for diesel), but they are pretty loud and I would want to hear that kick in a 2am.

Edit: I just turned on a Jabsco Par-max and the bronze Jabsco diesel pump, and they sound the same.

Matt
Old 12-07-2018, 15:36   #25

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I simply usedthe Jabsco pumps. Two of them in eight years aboard--and after I removed the first one I reconditioned it--so I had it as a spare.

Two provisos though.

The bearings in them are not very good quality--as soon as the pump gets noisy, replace them with stainless steel Japanese sealed bearings--cost anout $25 bucks each--and why they were not standard in the first place I have no idea. The difference they make is amazing. The noise they make goes from a growl to a purr.

The first pump I used had a spring and micro-switch pressure shut-off, and this sometimes needs to be checked. This type of pump seems to work best with a pressure resevoir. The second pump I fitted (also with new bearings after about two years) did not need a pressure resevoir and worked fine with its electronic control system.

Both types of pumps have to have a large filter fitted in the pick-up side of the pump. They should never be fitted in the outlet side. Many people accidentally put them in the wrong side--and eventually unfiltered crap gets into the pump and damages the diaphragms, or the 50 PSI pressure damages the filter.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 16:39   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jenneau Prestige 46
Send a message via Skype™ to desdestiny

All variable speed pumps will work best without an accumulator tank.
AN accumulator tank simply slows down the frequency of cycling to high pressure shutoff.
In domestic installations the accumulator tank is 10-20 times larger than on a boat. Accumulator tanks on boats are too small to be effective.

We have developed an after market speed control device for pressure pumps - Even Flow.
Variable speed pumps with integral controls are typically unserviceable and when they break down they are a throw away and replace.
Most importantly the Even Flow is fully serviceable
desdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 19:53   #27

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rourkeh View Post
I am seriously thinking about installing a 110 volt heavy duty non marine pump this time.
===

That's what we use. The boat had a Home Depot type shallow well pump when we bought it in 2004. It lasted 13 years and over 45,000 nautical miles of cruising before it quit. I replaced it with an identical unit which cost less than $200 at HD. It is a rugged cast iron assembly that is built to last and comes with an adjustable pressure switch.

The down side is that you need constant, reliable 110 volt AC at all times. We have that thanks to our large inverter/charger and house bank. The other down side is that it is significantly larger and heavier than most of the plastic 12 volt pumps.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 00:04   #28

The Catalina 355s suffered an unusual and high failure rate for the variable speed pumps.

"Need" for accumulators, I think, is utter BS.

I have a 20 year old Shurflo simple pump, no accumulator, works just fine.

Your boat, your choice.

But heck, no reason to deal with absolutes from folks who trade in voodoo.

Like, the "systems won't work without..." crowd.

Silly, I think.

And not supported by ANY engineering.

Ach...
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 01:38   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

I simply hate them. I have a 350 USD "high quality vendor's" ??? pump which is, against the manual NOT capable of self priming. YES, one wont belive it.

The next pump will be a cheap submersible. The always work but are not made to build up pressure in the system.

KEEP IT SIMPLE!
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 02:37   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

rourkeh,

We're using foot pumps of uncertain antiquity: we've had the boat since 2003, so 15 yrs., and (touch wood) no probs. We also have a separate pump for the shower and the flash heater for it. That one may be original, 1990. Keep it simple.

Ann

Tags
water