Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2018, 14:27   #16

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Finally made decision on watermaker -- ordered Spectra Ventura 200T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
I recently fitted a 200T to a boat that didn't have pressure water so it was extra plumbing and expense. I guess most yachties don't like potential points of failure and having a filter housing and hose under pressure the whole time just looks like a failure point to me. I now fit a valve to isolate the freshwater flush side when not in use.
I installed a valve upstream of the filter housing to eliminate the continuous pressure problem
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 16:00   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
For your purposes I think you have made the best decision possible. The 200T is simple and reliable and doesn't have any of the troublesome electronics that plagues other models/brands. The last one I installed for a client I mounted the Clark pump and membrane against the hull in the quarter berth. Not pretty and even though I had other options of mounting it out of sight it suited the owner. The feed pump and flush filter were mounted inside a cabinet that involved losing some storage space but the admiral concerned had very long black hair so was quite happy to reduce her sauce storage for regular hair washing water. The only thing that grinds my gears about this series Spectra is the 5/8" hose they use (hence the 1/2"-3/4" dilemma). It may be obtainable in the US but is a rare beast in the rest of the world, as are extra fittings if you need them. I would also love to see them provide a mounting template so people in your position could decide ahead of time where best to fit the Clark unit.

I think that is a great idea. Lets run it by the new management.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 16:25   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Don View Post
Hi everyone,

After way too many hours comparing watermakers, reading every post and going back and forth on PowerSurvivor, Spectra, Little Wonder, Cruise RO....., I finally decided to buy the Spectra Ventura 200T. Usually when someone comes to me to buy a 200T it's an easy upsale to the CapeHorn Extreme330. It's like two 200T's for about $700 more, well worth the difference if you have the room. Remember that thisw is a very modular system and I've only found two boats in the past 15 years that I couldn't find a way to get a Cape Horn Extreme330 in. Our plans are to spend 3 or 4 months sailing the Sea of Cortez. Since this is a trip we've been planning for several years, I want the boat to be ready and I don't want to schedule around water.

Two parts to this post: 1) my reasons for the Spectra Ventura 200T and 2) my thoughts on installation. Comments are most welcome!

Why the Spectra Ventura 200T? For us, it came down to wanting to run the watermaker on 12 VDC while at anchor. We have 260 watts solar, Honda EU2000i, and there's a lot of motoring around Baja. With the 12 volt units, I can run off solar (couple hours each day), Honda generator or diesel/alternator (while motoring). This gives us power redundancy and flexibility. The Ventura 200T makes 8 gallons / hour at 10 amps. I can budget around 10 amps -- I can't see drawing 20+ amps with our batteries for other brands of watermakers.

Assuming 2 people, 5 gallons/day water use, we'll need to run this a couple hours / day. Looking at the PowerSurvivor 40e, 1.5 GPH at 4 Amps, the 80e 3 GPH at 8 Amps, I'd be looking at running the 40e 5x longer, and the 80e 3x longer. Though I sell these (rarely) I would spend a lot of time wit. These would be running most of the day. As mentioned numerous times on the forum, the Spectra units have a cost premium; I think this is offset by the higher water output, efficiency, convenience and time, and potential resale value. I'm glad you see this value. If you take proper care of the 200T and keep it looking ghood I've seen these comand 2/3rds of the price of a new one five years later.Though it is rare as most people leave the watermaker in the boat when sold. If you get back half of what you paid for this system five years later it becomes one of the cheapest watermakers out there. I probably could have gotten by with the Spectra Ventura 150; for the couple hundred dollars difference in price, the 200T produces more water and is more suitable for warmer waters. Anyway, I'm looking forward to having the watermaker on the boat! Not to beat a dead horse, have you looked at or considered the CHE330?

Where to install the Ventura 200T on a 35' sailboat? My options are pretty limited. I don't think the Clark pump will fit under the aft bunk. The hull tapers rapidly and gets very narrow and short. One option would be to install under the forward v-berth -- there's lots of unused space; however, I don't want the weight that far forward or the noise in the master cabin. That leaves the aft cockpit locker or under the settee. I also don't want to give up the cockpit locker, where we store the stern anchor, liferaft, and it seems everything else. That leaves under the starboard settee. Will it fit? I think so. I have 12" on the front side and 9 1/2" on the backside, with the bottom hull slopping. I think this is the best location, for convenience, use and operations. Yes, we give up a convenient storage, but as my wife pointed out, we won't be carrying around extra cases of water! Remember, this is an extremly modular system. The membrane vessel is easily relocated from the Clark pump and you vcan mount the Clark pump in any popsitio, upside down sideways cattywampus etc. This usually opens up a lot more mounting places.

Point 1 - Clark pump installed under the starboard settee. Thoughts?

Until I see the Clark pump, I can't tell how to securely mount to the curved hull. I'm thinking about building a level platform along the inside of the hull and screwing the Clark pump to these supports. I may just 5200 wood blocks or glass-in wood blocks. How does one secure this to the inside of the hull? This is what I do on all my installations. I use 3/4" PVC board. 5200, and "T" nuts. This way the 5200 permantly mounts the PVC and the "T" nuts allow future removal and easy re-installation.

Where to install the feed pump? My options are even more limited. At 15" wide and 12" tall, the only option is under the galley sink or aft cockpit locker. As mentioned before, I don't want to sacrifice the aft locker, so I think the galley sink is my best option. This is not as simple as it sounds - I have to relocate the sink hot/cold plumbing and diverter valves. Again, there's a lot of wasted space with the angle of the sink, counter top and refrigerator, with a dummy board holding the fresh water valves. Fortunately this is all Pex, so I think I can reroute without too much trouble. This would be pretty convenient location for use. I prefer it closer to the waterline, below it if possible. The less the feed pump has to draw (36" above the waterline max) the less hard it has to work, thus less wear and tear on the feed pump head.

Thru-hull -- Everything I've read indicates I should install a new thruhull for the watermaker. I'm keep thinking about tee'ing off the head intake, but think I'll be better of with a dedicated thruhull closer to the centerline. What do you think about a new thruhull, mid-ship, just to the starboard side of the keel, right under the galley sink? Would I be better off more forward or back, where the engine intake and sink-discharge are located? Always further back. Don't trell Spectra I said so (go ahead, they know I'm a trouble maker), but on a 200T "Teeing" into a head thru hull will be fine.

I have a spare Forespar Maralon 3/4" thruhull. Oddly enough, the thruhull is labeled 3/4", but the size of the intake is slightly larger than 1/2" diameter. The barbed fitting is slightly less than 3/4". The 200T instructions state either 1/2" or 3/4" dedicated thruhull -- I guess I'm ok with the Maralon thruhull. 5/8" hose will probably fit nicely on the barbed fitting. That is fine. You could run three 200Ts off a 1/2" intake line.

Brine discharge -- I'm not prepared to drill another hole in the boat for the brine discharge. I'm debating between 1) running temporary discharge hose to the galley sink, 2) tee'ing to the galley sink discharge or 3) tee'ing to the deck scupper/bilge pump drains. Note, on the Tartan 3500, all the deck drains, bilge pump and sump-pump combine together to a junction box, above the waterline, center, aft, under the swim-step. I could tee into either the galley sink or the drains. The only difference is the deck hose drains are about 12" higher than the sink hose. Any preference? Yes, install the dedicated brine discharge thru hull (usually 5/8") a few inches above the waterline. This way a quick glance overboard while the system is running will give a good feel that everything is working properly.

Product water output -- I haven't decided whether I want to connect to the water tank, or use a jerry can. I'm leaning towards tee'ing into either the port or bow water tank. The port tank is 35 gallons stainless; the bow tank is 40 gallons plastic. The bow tank might be easier to tee into, since the port tank plumbing is all under the settee or behind cabinets. Use a 3/way valve and tap into both tanks. Infact add a second 3/way and run a line to your galley sink as well. You'll be glad you did.

Electrical -- I'm not worried about running 10 amps. I have a 'spare' circuit on the electrical panel. It is only a few feet from the electrical panel to galley sink. Double check the wiring size for the runs distance. You are more than likely to find that the wire gauge will be too large to fit a standard 15amp panel breaker.

That's where I'm at -- waiting for the Ventura 200T to arrive so I can double-check the size and finalize the fit. Any comments on installation are most welcome. Just ask.

Thank you
Don

:bigg rin:
Old 07-10-2018, 09:16   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
:bigg rin:
Tellie -- thank you very much -- just the response I was hoping. A few comments,

Quote:
These would be running most of the day. As mentioned numerous times on the forum, the Spectra units have a cost premium; I think this is offset by the higher water output, efficiency, convenience and time, and potential resale value. I'm glad you see this value. If you take proper care of the 200T and keep it looking ghood I've seen these comand 2/3rds of the price of a new one five years later.Though it is rare as most people leave the watermaker in the boat when sold. If you get back half of what you paid for this system five years later it becomes one of the cheapest watermakers out there.
An aside point -- I debated buying a used watermaker. Used Spectra units are hard to find. After considering, warranty and support, possibly having to replace pump seals and/or membrane, if the used unit needs any work or the membrane was not properly stored, the cost is close to or more than a new unit. I think you once said folks end up spending more on a used system than buying new.

Quote:
Remember, this is an extremly modular system. The membrane vessel is easily relocated from the Clark pump and you vcan mount the Clark pump in any popsitio, upside down sideways cattywampus etc. This usually opens up a lot more mounting places.
Really good to know. I may be able to fit the Clark pump under the aft cabin afterall!

On one of the YouTube videos, I noticed that they installed the pressure gauge and flow meter next to the accumulator and Clark pump, eliminating need to run connections to the panel. Depending on the location of the components, this might simplify the installation. I think this is a good idea.

Quote:
How does one secure this to the inside of the hull? This is what I do on all my installations. I use 3/4" PVC board. 5200, and "T" nuts. This way the 5200 permantly mounts the PVC and the "T" nuts allow future removal and easy re-installation.
Yes! Now to find stainless 'T' nuts.

Re: location of feed pump.....
Quote:
I prefer it closer to the waterline, below it if possible. The less the feed pump has to draw (36" above the waterline max) the less hard it has to work, thus less wear and tear on the feed pump head.
The way the charcoal filter is attached to the feed-pump housing, don't you need to leave about 12" below the filter to remove the filter housing. By removing the sink cabinet floor, I could mount 3 or 4 inches lower, but it is still a foot and half above the waterline.

Can the filter pump assembly be disassembled, and install the filter and pump in separate locations?

Re: location of thruhull,
Quote:
Always further back. Don't trell Spectra I said so (go ahead, they know I'm a trouble maker), but on a 200T "Teeing" into a head thru hull will be fine.
My problem is the head intake is close to the waterline and often won't pump when sailing on port tack or with any swell. I think I'm best to install a thruhull. I'll be calling yards for quotes and most likely will have this installed in Ensenada.

Re: brine discharge...
Quote:
Any preference? Yes, install the dedicated brine discharge thru hull (usually 5/8") a few inches above the waterline. This way a quick glance overboard while the system is running will give a good feel that everything is working properly.
I need to check how visible my deck/bilge pump manifold off the back of the boat. I don't want to drill another hole through the hull if I can use the existing discharge plumbing.

Re: product water...
Quote:
Use a 3/way valve and tap into both tanks. Infact add a second 3/way and run a line to your galley sink as well. You'll be glad you did.
Agree on the 3-way valve to route product water to the two tanks and sink. I may start with one tank and add later. We are thinking of "dedicating" the smaller tank to the watermaker and the larger tank for reserve.

It seems like the proper way to connect the product water 1/4" tube to the tank is to drill through the top and use the compression fitting. I don't see any way to connect to the 1 1/2" white corrugated deck fill hose, short of making a pvc insert, flattening a side and installing the fitting. Seems like a lot of effort to avoid drilling a hole in the tank(s).

A new point -- I saw on one of the YouTube videos, they routed the product sample to the bilge. I guess they open the bilge to test and monitor the output. I don't think that's a great idea. For the initial install, I'll probably run the discharge line to the galley sink.

Thanks again for your help!
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:52   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Congrats, I think you'll do just fine with the 200 on your boat! I managed to get a Cape Horn on my 27' without too much fuss. It's the best boat purchase ive made.

One thing I think hasn't been discussed is the back-pressure on the brine discharge..you may want to limit the hose run to minimize the pressure it takes the clark pump to expell the discharge. I think the recommended limit is in the manual somewhere.

That's my thought as well, but if you're never planning on filling up the tanks with treated water it wouldn't be a problem. Surprised to hear other folks have had good luck bypassing the pressure system. I was under the believe during my install that the pressure water side was quite necessary.
OK - back to flush using the pressurized side of water system - does that mean the fresh water system supplies pressurized water for the flush to the feed-pump? Then, won't both pumps be running, with the fresh water pump (in my case) cycling on/off while flushing? It still seems odd to run both pumps.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:02   #21

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Don,

Two points on the discharge line:

I installed a "T" in the tank discharge line to fill the tank from the watermaker.
No holes needed in the tank.

Also, the length of the output line although only 1/4 inch, will take a bit of time between the watermaker to get to the output of that line.
When making the tests for PPM (water quality) you need to take that delay into consideration.

The longer that hose is, the longer the delay in determining true water quality.
I made mine as short as possible.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:11   #22

I took delivery of a beautiful Tartan 3500 this weekend.

I will be happy to supply photos of the install, I have the Spectra 150.

The serviceable parts of the system are mounted just above the head for easy access, the main unit is mounted sideways in the rear cabin.

Here is the schematic of the whole system.

Well, apparently I don’t understand how to attach photos, I’ll work on it, any advice would be appreciated.
Gloveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 16:28   #23

A 60 lb box the size of small car (just kidding), arrived on my doorstep! After laying out the parts, the installation doesn't look all that intimidating. The feed-pump assembly will easily fit under the galley sink. I may have to relocate the tank selection valves and some of the tank(s) side of plumbing. There's no issue with space below the filter, and the feed-pump assembly is not that heavy. The Clark pump will certainly fit under the stbd settee or v-berth, and it might even fit under the aft cabin. It is not as bulky as you might think from the dimensions.

The Spectra supplied kit is impressive -- dozens of fittings, hose clamps, 3-way product water valve, TDS meter,..... I'm impressed and anxious to dry-fit the components.

On a side note, our plans are to stop in Ensenada and have dedicated thru-hull installed next to the engine intake. This is center, aft of the keel and seems the best location. Do you see any issues with the new watermaker thru-hull (photo top right) close to the engine intake (top center)?

Pretty exciting!
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2393.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	178744   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2403.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	178745  

Old 09-10-2018, 16:31   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloveman View Post
I took delivery of a beautiful Tartan 3500 this weekend.

I will be happy to supply photos of the install, I have the Spectra 150.

The serviceable parts of the system are mounted just above the head for easy access, the main unit is mounted sideways in the rear cabin.

Here is the schematic of the whole system.

Well, apparently I don’t understand how to attach photos, I’ll work on it, any advice would be appreciated.
Now that I have the parts, I'll check these locations. There's a lot of wasted space on the T3500, especially behind the head sink, head.

To attach photos, select 'Advance', 'Upload Files'. Browse to your picture, upload. I would like to see pictures of your install.

Thanks
Don
Old 09-10-2018, 16:35   #25

Photos
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	68E25E66-F0FF-4352-8EE7-871535534910.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	289.7 KB
ID:	178746   Click image for larger version

Name:	2C78077A-87E2-4DCC-917E-AF67389561BE.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	178747  

Name:	156CF1C7-BB7F-4C74-9DE4-A525C72F28C1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	402.5 KB
ID:	178748   Click image for larger version

Name:	10D1E81E-0B15-43FB-B9F9-81ECC5A1790A.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	178749  

Name:	D81B593B-FA33-49EF-A3BB-CA66B58510F3.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	178750  
Gloveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 16:41   #26
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
A 60 lb box the size of small car (just kidding), arrived on my doorstep! After laying out the parts, the installation doesn't look all that intimidating. The feed-pump assembly will easily fit under the galley sink. I may have to relocate the tank selection valves and some of the tank(s) side of plumbing. There's no issue with space below the filter, and the feed-pump assembly is not that heavy. The Clark pump will certainly fit under the stbd settee or v-berth, and it might even fit under the aft cabin. It is not as bulky as you might think from the dimensions.

The Spectra supplied kit is impressive -- dozens of fittings, hose clamps, 3-way product water valve, TDS meter,..... I'm impressed and anxious to dry-fit the components.

On a side note, our plans are to stop in Ensenada and have dedicated thru-hull installed next to the engine intake. This is center, aft of the keel and seems the best location. Do you see any issues with the new watermaker thru-hull (photo top right) close to the engine intake (top center)?

Pretty exciting!
Don

Don't pull the boat just for a thru hull. Just use that unused thru hull shown and sail away happy.
Old 09-10-2018, 16:58   #27

Tellie, sorry for the confusion, the "unused" thruhull is the new one I want to install. It fits in the area next to the engine intake, the surface is pretty flat and there's just enough room to run the hoses. Haul-out in Mexico is 1/5th the cost here in Los Angeles. I need to stop in Ensenada to clear customs. I may even put on another coat of bottom paint, to avoid 1 day layover cost.

I could tee off the engine intake, but don't want jeopardize either the engine or watermaker intake.

I'm still wrestling with routing the product water to the tank(s). I can certainly drill a hole in the top of the tank or inspection port. The tank has 1 1/2" (2"?) corrugated deck fill hose and a 3/4" vent hose. I would love to tap into the deck fill hose. Will the 1/4" fittings supplied work on a hose or are they better suited for a flat surface? Any other ideas to tap into the deck fill?

Thanks again for your interest - we are going to sail away happy with lots of water!
Don
Old 09-10-2018, 17:23   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloveman View Post
Photos
I've been studying your install -- nice diagram.

On our 3500, the tank output lines are green Whale hose/fittings. These run to the Jabsco freshwater pump. I didn't realize the bow tank gravity feed the port tank. Now that I think of this, it is obvious, the bow-tank is about 1' above the level of the stbd tank. That would be a good reason to route product water to the bow-tank.

For the backwash circuit, I will need to tap into the Whale circuit after the pump (on my 3500 now blue hose). Now to hunt for the right tee. For completeness, our blue circuit (after fresh water pump) tee's to the hot-water tank. From there, we have parallel hot and cold circuits that feed the head sink, two showers, and galley sink.

What did you do for the brine discharge? I'm thinking about tee'ing off one of the deck or pump discharge lines. Our 3500 has a 4x manifold in the back, under the swim step. The deck drains, sump and bilge pumps all lead to this box, which opens just above the waterline.

I'm also thinking of separating the feed pressure and product water flow rate gauges and mounting closer to their source, eliminating extra runs of hose/tubing.

Don
Old 10-10-2018, 03:37   #29
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Tellie, sorry for the confusion, the "unused" thruhull is the new one I want to install. It fits in the area next to the engine intake, the surface is pretty flat and there's just enough room to run the hoses. Haul-out in Mexico is 1/5th the cost here in Los Angeles. I need to stop in Ensenada to clear customs. I may even put on another coat of bottom paint, to avoid 1 day layover cost.

I could tee off the engine intake, but don't want jeopardize either the engine or watermaker intake.

I'm still wrestling with routing the product water to the tank(s). I can certainly drill a hole in the top of the tank or inspection port. The tank has 1 1/2" (2"?) corrugated deck fill hose and a 3/4" vent hose. I would love to tap into the deck fill hose. Will the 1/4" fittings supplied work on a hose or are they better suited for a flat surface? Any other ideas to tap into the deck fill?

Thanks again for your interest - we are going to sail away happy with lots of water!
Don

Yes, sharing the engines intake thru hull is never a good idea. If tapping into the tank is not practical then tapping into the fill line can be done using a nylon Tee NPT threaded and reduce one side to the 1/4" fitting supplied.

Old 03-12-2018, 09:41   #30

I've made great progress on installing the Spectra Ventura 200T watermaker! To finish installation, I'm wrestling with a couple issues: electrical and connecting product water to the tank.

Electrical -- my original thought was to run 10 gauge wire to an unused circuit breaker on our main panel. I even pulled a leader line and thought I was set; however, the run ended up being about 17'. At 2x length, Spectra recommends 6 gauge wire That's not going to work. My next thought is to run direct to the house batteries; hopefully this will be closer to 7 1/2' so I can use 10 gauge wire; I know this length is less than 12', so worse case I use 8 gauge wire. I will measure the run tomorrow.

My question, what are my options for fuses? The watermaker only needs a 15 amp fuse. In the past, for small electrical connections I've used inline blade fuse-holders. These are available for 10 and 8 gauge wire. Or, do I need a circuit breaker? Recommendations, please.

Product water -- I've been going around in circles on this. I have a stainless tank (port side) and plastic tank (bow). I'm leaning towards the port tank, since that's the tank we most use, has a water level gauge and is closest to the Spectra gauge panel. I've thought about mounting one of the "Fast & Tite" 1/4" fittings into the plastic corrugated fill hose using a nylon backing nut. I could also tap into the tank, though I'm not sure the tank thickness is enough for threads. I've even thought about making a 1/2" starboard insert between the round inspection port and tank and drilling 1/4" hole through the side to hold the product water hose.

Are there recommended fittings for inserting into the tank? Ideally, some sort of pointed compression fitting that pierces the tank with a top o-ring to seal, which can take the 1/4 tubing. What about my starboard idea?

Lastly, where's the best place to buy the 1/4" black nylon tubing? Is this standard hardware store item or specialized food grade material?

Thanks,
Don

Tags
water, watermaker