Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2021, 01:43   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Engle Fridge/Freezer

Even with the higher temperature of 16°F (9°C) and with a 77°F (25°C) ambient temperature, the duty cycle according to Engel is 52.7% and this is without opening the lid and adding new produce.

So if you buy an Engel and want to use it as a true freezer you will not be able to reduce the duty cycle down to 50%. This is just not the way the swing compressor is designed to operate, but the compressor is very durable (this is Engel's biggest attribute) so units have a long life when operated at duty cycles well over 50%.

If you want a freezer with a less than 50% duty cycle you need to buy one with a different type of compressor.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 03:42   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Even with the higher temperature of 16°F (9°C) and with a 77°F (25°C) ambient temperature, the duty cycle according to Engel is 52.7% and this is without opening the lid and adding new produce.

So if you buy an Engel and want to use it as a true freezer you will not be able to reduce the duty cycle down to 50%. This is just not the way the swing compressor is designed to operate, but the compressor is very durable (this is Engel's biggest attribute) so units have a long life when operated at duty cycles well over 50%.

If you want a freezer with a less than 50% duty cycle you need to buy one with a different type of compressor.
52% is okay, no worries.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 04:55   #18

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
This may have been lost in the posts so I’ll repeat this: at a setting of -14C instead of -18C, we have noticed no difference of food quality when vacuum packed at 6 months frozen storage. At this setting your box will be closer to the 50% duty cycle that ensures lifespan as designed.
Thanks Jedi, but my only concern is the power draw and the anger from my wife if the temp drops below 0 degrees F
From what I read in these posts, the only way to maintain a temp of 0 degrees F is to accept the power draw at 75%. Further to that, the 75% draw on power is acceptable for the swing compressor.

I think I will try adding insulation to the top and bottom of the inside of the freezer to see if that helps.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 05:13   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
Thanks Jedi, but my only concern is the power draw and the anger from my wife if the temp drops below 0 degrees F
From what I read in these posts, the only way to maintain a temp of 0 degrees F is to accept the power draw at 75%. Further to that, the 75% draw on power is acceptable for the swing compressor.

I think I will try adding insulation to the top and bottom of the inside of the freezer to see if that helps.
No, you are on the wrong way. Improving air flow around the condenser (vent openings of the box) and increasing (not lowering) the thermostat temperature setting are really the only things you can do. If you can’t live with a slightly higher freezer temperature, then airflow is your only option.

Adding insulation to the inside of the box will only result in more problems and reduce volume capacity. The lid insulation won’t even be noticeable because this is the smallest factor. The insulation of the sides would have like 10x as much impact.

What helps when buying new is a box with more insulation, designed to be used with lower freezer temperatures and/or higher ambient temperatures. The only option I am aware of is Snomaster with an inch extra insulation and a higher capacity compressor.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freezer