Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2021, 14:49   #1

Boat: 1987 Pearson 31 MK2
87 Pearson 31 No Electric Bilge Pump

Any Pearson 31 owners out there know why there is no electric bilge pump? I have to assume that my boat does not have an electric bilge pump as I cannot find one anywhere. The only pump I have is the manual in the cockpit. Oddly enough though, there is a breaker on the 12v panel for a bilge pump.
NLRDANNERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 15:14   #2

Boat: Pearson 10M
Re: 87 Pearson 31 No Electric Bilge Pump

There was an electric bilge pump, someone clearly had removed it. Do you see an above the water line through hull that goes nowhere or is capped off?
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 16:46   #3

Boat is in a different state than me. I am going up this weekend to get her packed up and ready for hauling down to my state. While I am up there, I have a hunch that it may be located, if there actually is one, near the manual bilge pump in the cockpit lazaret.

I just got her last weekend and had to leave her so there has not been a conclusive investigation just yet.

Just was wondering if there are other Pearson 31 owners out here that might know exactly where it is or was supposed to be.

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2021, 16:51   #4

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

The bilge in the P-31 is very shallow. The automatic bilge pump is located below the floorboard immediately forward of the companionway steps.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 16:56   #5

At least that is probably where it should be. It is not in my boat though. That is where the pickup for the manual bilge in the cockpit is located.

That is why I think there may be some sort of Y valve situation in the lazaret but I will find out this weekend.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:38   #6

Boat: Pearson 31

Hi, when I purchased my 1987 P31 in 1994, it only had the manual bilge pump. In order to receive a discount on my insurance I had an electric bp installed just forward of the floor board located at the bottom of the companionway steps. It has worked perfectly all these years. Love my Pearson! Good luck. You won't be disappointed in your Pearson.
SandIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandIsland View Post
Hi, when I purchased my 1987 P31 in 1994, it only had the manual bilge pump. In order to receive a discount on my insurance I had an electric bp installed just forward of the floor board located at the bottom of the companionway steps. It has worked perfectly all these years. Love my Pearson! Good luck. You won't be disappointed in your Pearson.
SandIsland, did your 31 also have a breaker on the electrical panel that says 'Bilge Pump'? Thats why I beleive there has to be one somewhere or maybe the panel was just prewired for it? I don't know? I think I am going to do a Y valve back in the cockpit lazaret and mount a pump back there with a float switch in the floor in front of the companion way where the pickup is for the manual bilge. Ill just switch to electric bilge when I leave the boat, that way I don't lose the ability to have the manual as an emergency back up should I ever need it.
Old 08-09-2021, 15:44   #8

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLRDANNERS View Post
SandIsland, did your 31 also have a breaker on the electrical panel that says 'Bilge Pump'? Thats why I beleive there has to be one somewhere or maybe the panel was just prewired for it? I don't know? I think I am going to do a Y valve back in the cockpit lazaret and mount a pump back there with a float switch in the floor in front of the companion way where the pickup is for the manual bilge. Ill just switch to electric bilge when I leave the boat, that way I don't lose the ability to have the manual as an emergency back up should I ever need it.
Strongly recommend you dont use a Y valve - use a completely separate hose line & outlet for the electric bilge pump. That way you have 2 pumps each with their own outlet, not 2 pumps trying to squeeze through 1 bottleneck.

I wouldnt worry about the fact your switch panel has a bilge pump label on it but apparently no pump. My VW car speedo goes up to 145 miles per hour but try as I might I never can get above 110. At least the breaker is there ready for you to use, just like I am sure the Porsche engined version of my car can make full use of that speedo...
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 16:45   #9

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Dude. The boat is old. It has been reconfigured several times. Just because you have a breaker for a bilge pump that existed 20 years ago doesn’t mean that pump still exists. It’s not a big mystery. I have about 5 labeled switches for gizmos that are long gone.

Also, whatever you are planning with a Y valve, don’t.

If you don’t manage to find an existing pump installation just install a pump and float switch assembly on its own fused circuit, with its own dedicated outlet above the waterline (best) or with an anti siphon loop (less good).
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:32   #10

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:
Any Pearson 31 owners out there know why there is no electric bilge pump? I have to assume that my boat does not have an electric bilge pump as I cannot find one anywhere. The only pump I have is the manual in the cockpit. Oddly enough though, there is a breaker on the 12v panel for a bilge pump.
Our 73 10M was delivered with a manual bilge pump. I later installed an electric pump to satisfy insurance company.

Since you have a bilge pump breaker, I suggest tracing the wiring.

Guy
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 08:07   #11

Boat: Pearson 31

For some reason I could not pm you my response to your previous question so I copied my earlier response, as follows:

"I have a 3 way switch (unlabeled) installed on my breaker panel - one position for off, another for on all the time and the third position for the bilge to activate when needed from the float switch which is attached to the electric bilge pump. A check valve was installed to prevent backflow after pumping out water from the bilge. Also, on the manual bilge pump located in the cockpit locker you may need to disassemble it to lubricate if it isn't working properly, but should not need to replace it. In my experience I usually only get water in the bilge when it rains really hard or if the pressure relief valve on the water heater is accidentally triggered by something in the locker pressing against it (usually when under way). Wherever you do install an electric bilge pump it should be located at the lowest possible part of you bilge. Please feel free to ask me any questions or concerns that you have about your Pearson. Jim"
SandIsland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 14:03   #12

Boat: Morgan, OI, 33'

Be sure that your manual can drain completely. Residual sea water completely dissolve the inside of my manual pump mounted in the transom
Disailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, electric, pearson, pump