Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2007, 13:05   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Composting Toilets?

The past week's experience / expense with our electric head(s) has me contemplating one of those marine composting toilets. The ones I've seen up close have been butt-ugly (pun intended ) but I figure I could use some creative cabinetry to improve appearance.

Anyone using these who would care to comment? I know they're out there as I saw at least 2 boats that had them installed during our boat search. Are they worth it? How do you handle the 3-inch vent requirement & power draw?

Was thinking I'd leave one head as-is and replace the other with a composting unit.

Suggestions / recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Old 15-05-2007, 13:26   #2

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
I would love to hear from anyone who has used the airhead???? seems a better solution that composting and i hate, I mean HATE the standard sort of marine toilet.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 17:22   #3

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
We had a neighbor that had one in the slip next to us and the soot it sent out drove us crazy.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 21:27   #4

Boat: Morgan OI 414
I have two heads on my boat and I am seriously considering and airhead to replace one of the heads. I would like to hear more from people who have an Airhead aboard thier boat. One thing about an Airhead, the law will find it difficult to mess with you concerning unlawful discharge.
Inthewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2007, 21:36   #5

If the advertising is accurate it sounds perfect, no smell, no thru hulls, no plumbing, never block and legal everywhere. Just would like to hear from someone who has one.
Old 15-05-2007, 23:57   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
and the soot it sent out drove us crazy.
Soot??? that is surely a burning the waste kinda toilet than composting isn't it?? Oooowwwe, surely that would smell.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 00:31   #7

Try reading this,all about Airhead toilets. Composting Marine Head - The WoodenBoat Forum Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2007, 08:35   #8

Air head

I put an Air-head on our Hunter 37 cutter about a year ago. We are not full-time cruisers (yet), so the head gets only occasional use. After a year of occasional weekend use I can make the following observations. 1) the installation was much easier and much cheaper than replacing our 20 y.o. Wilcox-Crittendon would have been. 2) We haven't emptied the compost bin yet, so I can't comment. The stated capacity is 80 "deposits", so we have a way to go. 3) The vent fan draws 100 milliamps, so our 50 watt solar panel keeps up with the fan running constantly. 4) There is no smell. 5) There is no pump-out or jammed macerator pump. 6) the only downside so far is if you have several women crew, all drinking beer, the small pee-tank will fill rather quickly.
capn-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2007, 13:26   #9

Do you think it could process two per day? Assuming two people aboard full time.
Old 24-05-2007, 07:31   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Not a Compost, but does anyone have any experience with an ECIS WC5 or WC16. ECIS is a division of Eberspacher.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 04:25   #11

Composting toilets

This may be of some use. http://www.firstmatescabin.com/06boa...ilet_flyer.pdf

Pericles
Pericles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 16:53   #12
cruiser

compost head

I have built a version of the airhead. Works well now that I have the ergonomics and bugs worked out. The vent pipe should be higher than your head so the wrong wind won't blow the smell your way. Extensions can be used in port. With a weather cocking vent cap ,I haven't used the fan except when dumping. A turbine would work well. Painting the vent pipe black may create a thermnal draft in the sun as it heats up.
The peat moss under moss covered logs works well for composter. Its far simpler and ligher than a regular head.
They are overpriced for molded plastic but easy to build. It is labour intensive to build a one off. If you have time and little money, building on eis simpler. If you have money an dlittle time , buy one,altho I have heard they are back logged 8 months on orders.
They will become extremly common. They sure beat hell out of holding tanks. They even leave you something to mail to the politiocoes .
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Riel
I have built a version of the airhead. Works well now that I have the ergonomics and bugs worked out. The vent pipe should be higher than your head so the wrong wind won't blow the smell your way. Extensions can be used in port. With a weather cocking vent cap ,I haven't used the fan except when dumping. A turbine would work well. Painting the vent pipe black may create a thermnal draft in the sun as it heats up.
The peat moss under moss covered logs works well for composter. Its far simpler and ligher than a regular head.
They are overpriced for molded plastic but easy to build. It is labour intensive to build a one off. If you have time and little money, building on eis simpler. If you have money an dlittle time , buy one,altho I have heard they are back logged 8 months on orders.
They will become extremly common. They sure beat hell out of holding tanks. They even leave you something to mail to the politiocoes .
Brent
Brent,any chance of a diagram and or pics of how ya built your toilet.I like the thought of composting loos for boats.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 08:06   #14

Any recommendations as to which composting toilet is best for a small boat with a small crew?
kris108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2007, 10:00   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The idea of intentionally storing sewage and then waiting for it to decompose is a pretty repulsive idea. I think you would end up with more sewage than you can store before it has time to completely decompose.

Have you considered a Lectra-San unit?
Raritan Engineering | Waste Treatment

I have a Lectra-San onboard and it is pretty reliable as long as you treat it as directed from the manufacturer. Like all heads and this treatment system in particular, the only thing you can put in it is stuff you have already eaten and easily degradable toilet paper.

Decomposed sewage still has all the nasty bacteria that you do not want to put into the water. At least the Lectra-San unit sterilizes it before it is disposed of. Ideally though, get a pumpout tank if you have a place onboard for one.

Forget the heads that burn it into ash like the Incinoet. Nobody wants to be downwind of a crematorium for sewage. Incinolets are plain old nasty.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote