Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2008, 14:11   #61

SC-C925/Coleman

I've got 'em but only about 6 in stock. If you want more I can have them in about a week, if you want to pay air freight and about 4 weeks if you can wait for an ocean vessel (ship) to get it here.
jedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 10:42   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Interesting. I'm gonna need to replace my old reefer unit soon.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:57   #63

Lightbulb

Hi

I tried for a couple of days to order a Stirling Power Cooler online. I had a hard time finding anyone who had them in stock. One place took my money and then refunded me later. RedOrbit.com said they had 32 of them, but would not accept a non-US credit card.

I'm flying to Michigan on May 16th to visit my girlfriend, so out of desperation, I asked her to phone her nearest Coleman Factory outlet. They had three in stock on clearance at $299.99! Needless to say, she hopped in her car and grabbed one the next day. I'll ship it back to myself when I get there.

Now I can offer her chilled wine when she comes to the boat at the end of June.

So, get on the horn to your local Coleman Factory Outlet!

Regards,

Owen Morgan

Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
MagicSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:09   #64

Great Price!

Wow! $299.99. Snatch those babies up people!
jedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 08:04   #65

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Newegg.com also has them for $367 while they last.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 10:20   #66

Just ordered a SC-JS05 unit from Global Cooling. I will keep you all informed on the process. Crossing my fingers on the installation. Mr. Edwards has been very patient. If he isn't a sailor he is well aware how cautious and hidebound we all are by now, LOL. I am going to install the unit in a Hunter Legend 37. The original boat had an icebox. This was converted to a Adler-Barbour evap and compressor unit. The compressor died and I was just going to replace the whole thing when I saw this thread. The Global unit is pretty expensive but not really more so than another complete Adler system. I couldn't just replace the compressor because the new compressors aren't compatible with the old evaps. Trying to just replace the Adler unit with the Global without increasing insulation, etc and see how it performs. I can always rip out the old box and start over if necessary.
Icetug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 11:25   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Is this one of those icechests where you plug it into a 12 VDC cigarette lighter adaptor? I had one of those icechests that I bought at Costco and it worked about three times. The third time I had it plugged into the provided 12VDC/120VAC wall adapter overnight before leaving for my camping trip in the morning. When I woke up in the morning, it had failed and all my cold meat etc for my camping trip was at least 120 degrees and spoiled. They do not seem very reliable to me.

I would get something that is designed for longevity, is efficient and is meant for a marine environment.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 13:03   #68

Boat: C&C 38'
Nope, David M, we are talking about a different animal.
Old 20-05-2008, 21:11   #69

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The third time I had it plugged into the provided 12VDC/120VAC wall adapter overnight before leaving for my camping trip in the morning. When I woke up in the morning, it had failed and all my cold meat etc for my camping trip was at least 120 degrees and spoiled.
Are you sure you didn't plug it in backwards? Most of these coolers have a reversible connector - one way the peltier junction will heat, the other way it will cool. This happened to us on a camping trip when I asked my brother in law to load up and plug in the cooler. I neglected to tell him the polarity matters. Fortunately I caught it in time.

Having said that, these are not very efficient and draw a constant 8-10 amps. Also, they cool a fixed temp relative to ambient air temperature, like 40 degrees Fahrenheit below ambient. So if you are in 110 degree heat, the inside of the cooler will be 70.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2008, 21:55   #70

Boat: Islander 36
Icetug,

I am very interested in what you are getting. It sounds like most of the post here are speaking of chest type reefer units, but you're talking about a system. I am looking to get my hands on a replacement system as well. Fried mine after being installed in the wrong spot for 7 years. It was fine in the engine compartment as far away from the engine as I could get it... I thought. Amazing what your first long passsage will expose.

I went to the Global Cooling website but didn't see this SC-JS05. I had been looking at Tropikool by Avxcel but it seems they have dissipated. They were buying from Global Cooling anyway.
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2008, 05:35   #71

Minggat, Read back through the posts and there should be a link to the Twinbird units. The SC-JS05 is the cooling unit for the CoolCargo 200 http://fpsc.twinbird.jp/drawing_COOLCARGO_200N.pdf

Don't know what you mean by a "system" but what I am buying is basically a FPSC cooling unit that you put through a hole in an insulated box. Comes completely assembled, just add power and it gets cool. At least that is the way I understand it.
Icetug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 00:06   #72

Boat: Islander 36
Icetug,

I see it now. Thanx. I wrote to them. This is a big help. Please send pics of your install.
Minggat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2008, 01:10   #73

Boat: Trismus 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Icetug,

I am very interested in what you are getting. It sounds like most of the post here are speaking of chest type reefer units, but you're talking about a system. I am looking to get my hands on a replacement system as well. Fried mine after being installed in the wrong spot for 7 years. It was fine in the engine compartment as far away from the engine as I could get it... I thought. Amazing what your first long passsage will expose.

I went to the Global Cooling website but didn't see this SC-JS05. I had been looking at Tropikool by Avxcel but it seems they have dissipated. They were buying from Global Cooling anyway.
Here is the Tropicool website: <http://www.tropicool.co.nz/Home>
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 12:16   #74

Hey guys,

I am new to this forum. What brought me here was this thread which I found searching Google. The only sailing experience I have is a summer of M16 racing I did with a friend of mine who needed some help. What got my attention is the Coleman Sterling Engine Cooler. Long story short is that I have been looking for one for a while now and the Coleman one is very hard to find. I took the previously mentioned suggestion about the Coleman outlet store to heart. I called the nearest one to me (Michigan). They had ONE left. They told me that they would ship and today only is an extra 10% off the sale price. So go to Coleman's website Coleman - The Outdoor Company: Coleman Factory Outlet Store Locations and find your nearest outlet and see if they have any left!
thezfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2008, 13:20   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
WELCOME aboard, and thanks for the information, thezfunk.

Your name intrigues me. Are The Z Funk, the ZF unk(le) or what?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote