Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2020, 10:43   #16

Re: Clogged holding tank

Re: deck pumpout fitting - I'm well aware of the issues I'd have in the US, and it is certainly on my long-term todo list.

Peggy: Yeah, there was no pressure relief, or smell, when I cleaned the thruhull yesterday. Now I can push the wire around 30cm in (there's for some reason a bend upwards), but I cannot see further than that. I guess I will need to start taking the boat apart to get to the vent and discharge hose, and the tank itself.

Fortunately, I'm currently in well equipped marina, (and the toilet itself is falling apart) so I've never had to use the head this season.
Mrkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 11:33   #17
Marine Service Provider

I'm always glad to help, so you're welcome to give me a shout any time you have a question I should be able to answer or just need some advice.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 11:39   #18

Thanks... I will report here on the results once I get to it. (And I guess I'll add your book to my wishlist).
Old 29-08-2020, 13:50   #19
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkva View Post
Thanks... I will report here on the results once I get to it. (And I guess I'll add your book to my wishlist).

I'm pretty sure you'll find it useful. The title (my publisher's idea) is a bit misleading...'cuz although it does deal with every source of odor on a boat and how to cure, or better yet PREVENT 'em, it's actually a comprehensive "marine toilets and sanitation systems 101" manual that explains the laws, describes all the types of systems and how they work, and will help you learn how to operate and maintain your system to prevent 99% of problems instead of having to cure 'em. 'Cuz you get to do any preventive maintenance on your terms when it's convenient...the need to cure a problem never happens when it is! And I'm always glad to answer any questions it doesn't.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 14:01   #20

So... the results... Got a two days of sailing in decent waves, that should have mixed the contents. This did not help.

Then I went to disconnect the toilet outlet at the toilet (because I couldn't get myself to climb into the cockpit locker with my fear of getting stuck). After this the manual pumpout somewhat started to work and air getting to tank through the disconnected hose could be heard, pointing at still clogged air intake.

There's still a significant resistance on the suction part of the pump cycle (by the way, it's some kind of blackwater pump, it just looks almost the same), suggesting reduced diameter of the tank pumpout tube (or hose to pump). The hoses will need replacing over the off-season anyways, because they're a bit smelly already.

The good thing is I've managed to pump the tank dry, so the disaster of its contents freezing, rupturing the tank, and melting into the bilge avoided.

Thanks everyone!
Old 05-09-2020, 19:11   #21

Boat: islandpacket

Ok your thru hull vent may be clogged, But there has to be a discharge somewhere, did you find it ? Is it open or closed? Your discharge thru hull could be full of marine growth. Follow the hose from the manual pump. Haul the boat and pressure wash till you find it.
Old 05-09-2020, 21:00   #22

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkva View Post
So... the results... Got a two days of sailing in decent waves, that should have mixed the contents. This did not help.

Then I went to disconnect the toilet outlet at the toilet (because I couldn't get myself to climb into the cockpit locker with my fear of getting stuck). After this the manual pumpout somewhat started to work and air getting to tank through the disconnected hose could be heard, pointing at still clogged air intake.

There's still a significant resistance on the suction part of the pump cycle (by the way, it's some kind of blackwater pump, it just looks almost the same), suggesting reduced diameter of the tank pumpout tube (or hose to pump). The hoses will need replacing over the off-season anyways, because they're a bit smelly already.

The good thing is I've managed to pump the tank dry, so the disaster of its contents freezing, rupturing the tank, and melting into the bilge avoided.

Thanks everyone!

Glad you’ve got the risk eliminated. Good luck with the rest of the job. Not a lot of fun, but good to have behind you.
Old 06-09-2020, 17:16   #23

Had to deal with a clogged holding tank, no pump/Y valve, dock pumpout only. 12 gals. No luck at the dock, could see level by putting flashlight on top pointed downwards. Solution was a cheapo 5gal blue poly water jug, a thru-wall fitting added that matched the pump out hose diameter, about 1.5", plus duct tape to seal it. And a shop vacuum, a good sized one, fitted perfectly into the jugs filling hole.

All hooked up and the vacuum started to collapse the water jug inwards. Let off the vac and swap to blow and give it a quick blast to backflush the pumpout hose. Then back to vacuum. And repeat. Started working after that. Took about 6 trips with a half filled 5 gal jug to get rid of the 12 gal contents. Don't get greedy, you don't want a shop vac and hoses full of sh#t!! HTH
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holding tank