Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2019, 21:50   #1

Clarke Pump

I’m in Australia. Looking for a Clarke Pump for my water maker. The main body has some cracks in the high pressure inlet and outlet. Anybody have one they are not using ? Maybe I can make up one good one.
Or, any ideas for a fix or replacement pump?
Ssas5342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 14:08   #2

Boat: 31ft tank
Re: Clarke Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssas5342 View Post
I’m in Australia. Looking for a Clarke Pump for my water maker. The main body has some cracks in the high pressure inlet and outlet. Anybody have one they are not using ? Maybe I can make up one good one.
Or, any ideas for a fix or replacement pump?
If it's a Spectra, you might be able to fix it with the help of a precision engineer, some epoxy and acetone. The spectra's I believe are made of composite materials. Get the engineer to measure every part of the repair area prior to making the repair. Then clean out the cracks really well with acetone and then fill with epoxy. Once set, take it to the engineer again to get the repaired area made good again to prior specifications.
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 17:52   #3

Yeah its a Spectra.
I’ve used some epoxy putty on it in some places where the cracking wasn’t bad with some success. I’m not confident it will be a permanent fix though. The leaks come up through the thread and then out the cracks.
Ssas5342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2019, 21:41   #4

Boat: 31ft tank

I mean pure epoxy, not the putty or thickened type.

I would suggest taking it to a precision engineer and talk to them. Otherwise there is a guy on this forum called Tellie and he works with Spectra units day in day out.
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2019, 03:51   #5

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

The part number you need is HP-CB-HP 10, if for a Ventura 200 or bigger, if its a 150 it's a 7 instead at the end. They are $500. Ish new for just the center block. I dont think they include piston lip seals or pilot valve, definitely not a piston rod. You will need new lip seals, and to switch over the other items, cylinders etc..
The cracking is from over tightening, I've seen many try to fix it with epoxy and it does not work for very long if at all in most cases.
You can check Spectras website and see if there is a dealer near you.
If you can't find what you need I do have a refurbished Clark pump, 10% version I can sell and ship from Fl. Pm me if you need to.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 05:52   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

You would need both the top center block and the bottom center block replacement. If a Clark pump is showing these signs of cracking from the two 90 degree fittings then I would suggest the pump be completely disassembled and all parts examined.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 07:25   #7
cruiser

Boat: HR39

Hi
If this is an old unit like my 380C it has taper threads (terrible design for a plastic pressure vessel) in the end caps and so tightening the fitting causes the cracking. You can’t fix this. I replaced my end caps several years back because of the same problem and the new ones they sent now had parallel threads sealed by o-rings. I am replacing my spectra water maker soon with a diy designed system using hp pump coupled to AC motor and so will be selling the Clark and feed pumps. I’m in the UK now though.
BlueHeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:23   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Perhaps post some pictures if you have the time. Benefits us all to know about common problems and repair.

Time for someone to write up a comprehensive DIY guide for the Spectra like the guy did for the Power survivor 20 odd years ago.

Maybe a thread here is the way to go? Will take a pic of my install this afternoon to get the ball rolling on this.
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 09-01-2020, 06:06   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Perhaps post some pictures if you have the time. Benefits us all to know about common problems and repair.

Time for someone to write up a comprehensive DIY guide for the Spectra like the guy did for the Power survivor 20 odd years ago.

Maybe a thread here is the way to go? Will take a pic of my install this afternoon to get the ball rolling on this.
Cheers,
Jeff

It would take me months to cover all the units and all their individual quirks. The easiest way is just to ask me if there are any questions.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump