Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2017, 17:10   #1

Campingaz 907 bottle

I am in the US. I would like to purchase an empty or full Campingaz 907 refillable butane bottle. It does not surprise me that I can't find a source in the US, but while I can find sources in the UK, I can't even find sources in the Caribbean including Budget Marine and Island Water World. Can you tell me where I can purchase one in the US or Caribbean? They are supposed to be refillable in the Caribbean.
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 05:56   #2
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Campingaz 907 bottle

You can get them at the propane refill company on St. Maarten. They don't refill them but will sell you one. But it won't help you in the states because they don't ship them. Why would you need one anyway?
Old 28-06-2017, 10:39   #3

Why do I want one?

I own an Elan, a European boat that is designed to use butane. I converted the boat to propane by adding a propane locker because the butane locker is very small ... for one of the 907 bottles.

I tried to find a very small propane bottle that would fit in the butane locker but I can't find one in the US. I wanted one to use with my BQ. So I thought that if I could get a butane bottle that fit then I would use it for the BQ. I could store it in the locker.

One butane bottle would last me a season of BQ use.

So that is my reason.
Old 28-06-2017, 10:49   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

You need to ask yachties who have just arrived from Europe, perhaps even offer them a swop from a size they can get filled.

How about the Carib VHF nets?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 11:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You need to ask yachties who have just arrived from Europe, perhaps even offer them a swop from a size they can get filled.

How about the Carib VHF nets?

Pete
That's a great idea. When I get down there next season I can try that. I also expect that on French islands they sell the 907 canisters. In fact, I may have seen them for sale in Guadeloupe. This should be the case because one can't buy propane in French countries. Half of St. Martin is French and maybe they have them.

I still have a couple of the non-refillable 1 lb propane bottles that will be enough for a while. It is just that they are very expensive down south, always over $10 each, and there is the environmental waste.

Marcus
Old 28-06-2017, 15:43   #6
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I'll have two of them you could have for free in January. The problem is that you can't fill them. We don't have butane refill stations in NA and the tanks are not designed for propane. The Caribbean does have small tanks similar in size to the camping gaz ones though.
Old 28-06-2017, 17:18   #7

You are very generous. I would love to get them from you but in January I plan to already be in the Caribbean. I think the best approach for me is to pick one up when I'm on a French island. For example, they don't sell propane in Guadeloupe and therefore the Campingaz and similar are the standard there. I will arrive in Guadeloupe in mid-December so it will work pretty well w.r.t. timing.

Thank you again. You are very generous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I'll have two of them you could have for free in January. The problem is that you can't fill them. We don't have butane refill stations in NA and the tanks are not designed for propane. The Caribbean does have small tanks similar in size to the camping gaz ones though.

Tags
gaz