Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2017, 16:46   #1

Need a wrench for W-C Thru Hulls

Looking for a tool to unscrew old Wilcox-Crittenden Thru Hulls from their seacocks inside????? There must be some kind of tool that can be inserted into a 1 1/2 inch hole that then expands and grips the opening tightly ???? The Seacock is thru-bolted thru the hull ! HELP???
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 17:29   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Need a wrench for W-C Thru Hulls

Have you tried contacting WC, plus a bunch of the companies who make through hull mushrooms? They'd be my first stop. And maybe someplace like Davey & Co. who carry & make all sorts of old school boat hardware. Also try some of the nautical foundrys, like the one in Port Townsend, WA
Can't imagine that any good sized boatyard doesn't have such tools on hand when you think about it.

That said, I should think that it wouldn't be that tough to DIY one. Get/machine a cylinder of the proper diameter to fit the hole in the through hull were it fully round. And then machine out notches which will grip the 2 ribs on the inside of the through hull mushroom.

You could even cast one using bog (epoxy, & structural filler) to use to take measurements off of it when machining it. And when you're machining it, square off the end which stays on the outside so that you can put a wrench on it.

Perhaps the last ditch solution is to cut off the mushroom head as close to flush with the hull as you can. And then once you unbolt the seacock, the remaining piece of the through hull should come out via your unscrewing it & the seacock from inside of the boat.

That, or cut it off where it mates up with the seacock, & then cut it into pieces with a hacksaw blade down it's "throat".

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 17:36   #3

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Find a piece of iron or steel flat bar which will just fit down thru the fitting. Turn it with a big adjustable wrench. It should go up against the internal ridges and unscrew the fitting. Keep one in the boat which is stepped in width to match all 4 of the thru-hull fittings on my boat.
Old 19-06-2017, 17:53   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Find a piece of iron or steel flat bar which will just fit down thru the fitting. Turn it with a big adjustable wrench. It should go up against the internal ridges and unscrew the fitting. Keep one in the boat which is stepped in width to match all 4 of the thru-hull fittings on my boat.
Good Idea! So I need a 1 1 /2 and 2 ' Diameter flat bar say 3/8 or 1/2 thick then file or grind the curve to match , the use a large crescent or pipe wrench(maybe with a pipe extender on wrench handle) to turn it loose after I heat it up with propane torch. The W-C seacocks are thru bolted thru the hull and covered over with resin. I want to leave them in as I don't want to repair 27 holes thru the hull!! I have 8- 1 1/2" and 1- 2" seacocks to replace! Once I get the thru hulls out I can take the nuts off the seacock bolts and drive a wedge between the bottom of seacock flange and the in-hull FG 'mound ' they are on. Then I can cut the bolts off flush with the inner hull mound and proceed with the Marelon ones which Marelon says do not require to be bolted thru hull. Comments?
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 17:59   #5

Go to Hamilton Marine on line (Maine) I have the same style, and bought the tapered step plug for these kinds of through hull. That was about 5 yrs ago! Tool was about $35. 1 thing I did learn was when boat on land!!!!!! use a propane torch to heat the screw in! Not a a lot of heat just enough to get it warm ! Made all the difference in the world to get the through hull to turn! Don't lend tool to anyone you don't know or trust ! Worth weight in gold!
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 18:02   #6

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
That's what I did. Just walked over to the scrap bin and found something that would fit. No problem.

But of course they sell a thing called a "step wrench" for that. This is the one that West Marine sells:

Google search also brings up a picture of these "internal pipe wrenches." I suppose they might work. I actually have a set, but they did not work for the specific task that I bought them for. Never found another use for them... I think they came from Amazon or maybe Home Depot.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 08:00   #7

Boat: Westwind 38, 1985

I used a large file to insert into the through-hull then I put a large adjustable wrench on it and out it came with a little help from my son.
Rconwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 08:11   #8

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

I use a socket that fits snugly inside and cut two notches in it with a small cutting disc.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 08:12   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rconwell View Post
I used a large file to insert into the through-hull then I put a large adjustable wrench on it and out it came with a little help from my son.
Good grief, no. A file is hardened and quite brittle, totally unsuitable for that job, as it is possible for it to shatter.

Don't abuse tools, it's dangerous.

Secondly, I honestly still have no idea what the OP is trying to do. In the same paragraph, he says he doesn't want to take the through hulls out, and then that he wants to replace them with Marelon. How will he do that without taking the WC ones out first?

Final question : why replace the best seacocks in the world with inferior plastic ones?
Old 20-06-2017, 08:13   #10

As mentioned there is a "wrench" specifically for thru hulls. But a properly sized flat bar will work. I'd want it at least 1/4 thick or more.
BUCK 3BTHW50150 - Buck Wrench- Thru Hull 1/2"-1 1/2" 3BTHW50150 - Boaters Plus

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 09:00   #11

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I have made a tool for that purpose using a 1" galvanized pipe with the two notches cut with an angle grinder.
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 10:29   #12

Boat: Pearson 34

Better to rehab those good old bronze fittings than spend a lot of time and effort to replace them with plastic.
rsb
RSB333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 10:31   #13

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Strip of 1/4steel, wide enough to go in the hole ,T bar handle welded for two armed grip Stumbling against a shattered file is a bastard.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 15:27   #14

Cut the inside from outside with a dremil Where safety glasses and it'll take a while. Or you can plow into it with a 4" hand grinder. Both ways destroy the through hull.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 15:32   #15

Those things are great for removing Close nipples when you don't want to crush the threads with a pipe wrench.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, hull, thru hull