Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2018, 11:54   #1

Boat: Beneteau 331 34'
Air in Freshwater System

Hi Everyone,

While trying to de-winterize my Beneteau 331 this season, I can't seem to get the air out of the freshwater system. I filled the tank, cleaned the filter, and have run the water for over 20 minutes, but it still sputters. There is a lot of percolating in the filter. I don't see any leaks.

Any tips for troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. It ran well last season.

Best Regards,

_m_miles
Attached Files
_m_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 12:00   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Air in Freshwater System

an introduction of air into the water system won't manifest in the form of visible leaks. Start on the upstream side of the pump, between the pump and the tank. Look for any loose hose clamps or the like. Air is being sucked into the system somewhere.

edit

after watching the video, it actually looks like you've misplaced the oring that seals the strainer.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 12:05   #3

Boat: Beneteau 331 34'

I found some waste that could have been a o-ring. Being a newbie, I didn't think about it until just now.

If that's the case I bow to your knowledge. Will look into it in the morning.

Thanks for the tip.
_m_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 13:54   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Air in Freshwater System

Quote:
Originally Posted by _m_miles View Post
I found some waste that could have been a o-ring. Being a newbie, I didn't think about it until just now.

If that's the case I bow to your knowledge. Will look into it in the morning.

Thanks for the tip.

The o-ring on those little strainers sits in a groove in the base (black part). Another problem could be the bowl cracked, a little overzealous tightening can crack the clear bowl as well.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2018, 14:15   #5

Boat: Hunter 340, 1999, 34'

I had the same problem earlier this year. There was a nasty cold spell (well, for East Cackalacky) in February. The temperature never got above freezing for eight days, a new record, and the Trent River in which Sequoyah is docked froze over. You all up Nawth are used to that. We Southrons ain't.

Anyway, the air indicated a leak, to me. Started looking. Discovered water at the electric pump. Some was in it during that cold snap, it froze, and the plastic pump housing cracked at the pressure switch.

Replaced it with a new pump, a different one, some knockoff brand with less pressure and flow I found on eBay for twenty bucks instead of the hundred twenty the marine store wanted for a ShurFlo. Works well enough. No more air in the lines, puts out enough water at the business ends.
Attikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 09:18   #6

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

We had that issue when we switched to our secondary tank. I traced the pick-up line and plumbing and discovered nothing obvious.

Next I went around tightening hose clamps. That is when I discovered a small plastic inline checkvalve had actually broken into two pieces- right in the middle. The rigidity of the plumbing connected to each end pushed it together enough to still allow water suction, but with some air because it was broken.

It was not obvious the fitting was broken until I pulled the two ends in separate directions. Go figure...

For what its worth...

Good luck fixing yours.

Cheers! Bill

Tags
water