Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2013, 09:41   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Adler / Barbour Power Plate

SV Third Day, You are correct about holding plates they are designed to store energy when surplus energy is available and there is very little surplus energy from Danfoss BD compressors do to their size. In fact once solution phase change is complete maintaining it solid is going to be less efficient.

Using a liquid eutectic solution like food grade Propylene Glycol one gallon per cu foot of box will maintain freezer temperatures for 24 hours. To maintain refrigerator temps for 24 hours ½ gallon of a higher temperature phase change solution is used. If the boats power grid is not equipped with a large enough compressor to phase change (freeze) all solution in one hour or alternative energy is not available wind, solar, water, or shore power to power DC grid holding plates are not of much value on BD compressor systems.

I see no useable comparison between your temperature graphs. You are correct the performance of Adler Barbour shows a problem with either thermostat’s differential setting or system components are imbalanced or compressor speed is too high. A meaningful comparison would be both systems tested in the same box under the same conditions.

As I read the Adler Barbour Chart compressor cycles off 7 times per hour where it should cycle less than 3 times. The CoolBlue performance is what I would expect from a small box in a non tropical area north of Latitude 30N. My experience with CoolBlue plates has been with higher solution eutectic freeze points more like 17 degree F. I know that Technautic changed to the Spanish or Chinese compressor that they run at a slower speed than Danfoss BD35 minimum speed. Do you know what compressor was used in this test, the daily 24 hr amp-hr consumed and size of box?

Is Technautics still in business? I understand Randy is no longer running it? Randy and Cleave at SeaFrost were the only experts left in the US manufacturing boat refrigeration industry.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2013, 10:35   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Adler / Barbour Power Plate

Thanks for the comments and questions Richard, I will try to answer your questions below.
Feel free to shoot me a direct email if you have any more specific questions at Info@TechnauticsInc.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
A meaningful comparison would be both systems tested in the same box under the same conditions.
When Catalina did the testing shown in the data charts they took a Catalina 42 refrigerator box, placed it in a climate controlled room, and then put a AB Super Cold machine and the Technautics CoolBlue in the same box. A new CoolBlue unit along with a new AB Super Cold Machine was taken out of their shipping box as is and both installed according to the manufacturers instructions, so I think it was a pretty fair comparison.

Quote:
I know that Technautic changed to the Spanish or Chinese compressor that they run at a slower speed than Danfoss BD35 minimum speed.
When Danfoss moved their compressor production to China, Randy started seeing a rash of compressor failures, so Technautics switched to the compressor made in Spain (Cubigel http://www.huayicompressor.es/#a) Now Danfoss eventually worked through the Germany/China production move and fixed their quality issues, but Technautics has been happy with the Spanish made compressor and has stayed with them.

Quote:
Do you know what compressor was used in this test, the daily 24 hr amp-hr consumed and size of box?
The test used our current Spanish made compressor. The 24Hr amp-hr usage was 24AH and the size of the Box was a total of 7 Cubic Feet (1/3 freezer and 2/3 refrigerator). Avg refrigerator temp = 39degs, Avg freezer temp 20degs.

Quote:
Is Technautics still in business? I understand Randy is no longer running it? Randy and Cleave at SeaFrost were the only experts left in the US manufacturing boat refrigeration industry.
I cracked Randy up the other day when I told him that a client called to offer me his condolences for Randy's Death...the rumor mill in the small cruising industry is quite something to behold. Randy is still the head of R&D at Technautics and you can email him directly at Randys@technauticsInc.com. After 45 years he has happily retired from the daily business of brazing together parts, packaging, shipping, billing, answering phones, sweeping the floor, cleaning the toilets, and worrying about running the business side of things. I take care of that "fun" stuff now. The life of a small business owner isn't the glamor and glitz it's cracked up to be and Randy is enjoying focusing on technical support, R&D, and product development for some new applications. In April 2013, CoolBlue production was moved from Costa Mesa, CA to the new Technautics facility in Escondido, CA. Combining the production facilities of Cruise RO Water and Technautics has been a great move for both companies and ensuring Technautics products and support will be around for a long time to come. I've only burned myself once with the brazing torch under Randy's watchful eye...ha ha ha.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote