Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2018, 19:12   #1

6 or 12 Gl water heater

Hi All,
My 8 Gl Kumma water heater leaks and need replacement.
Raritan is my preferred option. They have 6 or 12. The 12 will require some additional work in fitting.

From your experience what is more suitable for coastal cruising?
The 6 will heat faster but have less hot water. When heated by the motor the extra 6 Gl might be a blessing, but we usually motor very little.

Usually we are 3 on board.
Thanks
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 19:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: 6 or 12 Gl water heater

1) you'll be happier with the larger model
2) you can add a much larger element (we have a 3500watt one) if your electrical system will permit you to and that gives you much faster reload time (perhaps even continuous hot water)
3) look at Torrid; they make the best units on the industry and are very flexible with their options
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 20:03   #3

Thanks Scott,
Actually we are limited to power since we anchor most of the time. so 1500Watts is our top element.
B_Hunter45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2018, 20:31   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Go for the bigger one, it will stay hot longer, plus even when it cools quite a bit you can then use just straight hot water, and you have twice as much
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 05:13   #5

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Do you run a genset or just solar?

To me, the best argument for a higher-wattage element is if you're anchored and using a genset. That's when it's most important to minimize how long it takes to heat up the water. Who wants to run a noisemaker any longer than necessary?

Obviously, the opposite applies for solar. And if you're using shore power, it probably doesn't matter how long it takes.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 08:43   #6

Boat: Boatless

It encourages the proper shipboard behavior ;-)

No-brainer

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 08:52   #7

Well, if you really dont run the motor much, maybe 6 gallon as it will heat up faster. I liked 11 , but motored quite a bit. I wonder if another brand has a size that is bigger than 6 but will fit your space?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 10:51   #8

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

I'm a fan of the 6 gal units - fast heat up time when running the genset. We set the thermostat fairly high and have plenty of water for the two of us to take back to back hot (not just warm) showers. I think the key is a high thermostat setting (130+ degrees F) so you're using less hot water and more cold. If worried about scalding, put a mixing valve on the water heater itself and limit the temp to something you're comfortable with, like 101 degrees or so.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 10:59   #9

Do they make direct fired tankless water heaters for boats? If you have propane already, I't be an easy swap. You could even get a coil and fan and use it for heat.

They are all the rage for residential installs now. Like 98% efficiency.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 11:41   #10

After purchasing a 2001 Catalina 42MKII the 10 gallon water heater leaked and needed replacement. The access door was too small and rather than spend time and money on carpentry I disassembled the heater, basically removing the stainless box getting to the aluminum tank that fit through the access panel. I replaced it with a 6 gallon tank that fit the access door (stainless box and all) and have not missed the additional 4 gallons.

Capt Tony.
Tony Tommasello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 11:59   #11

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete17C View Post
Do they make direct fired tankless water heaters for boats? If you have propane already, I't be an easy swap. You could even get a coil and fan and use it for heat.

They are all the rage for residential installs now. Like 98% efficiency.
Dangerous on a boat in small enclosed space... there was a lady in Annapolis a number of years ago who died while showering due to a poorly vented propane instant hot water heater. Not saying they can't be made safe, but there is an added risk associated with them.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 22:23   #12

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

We have the boat's original (1983) 5 gallon hot water heater and it's been just fine for 2 adults and one child. Daily shower for 3 people, and it still has enough heat left for the second day if we didn't run the generator or engine. Heats from cold start to very hot in 15 minutes. The water gets so hot that when showering you use very little after mixing it with the cold water (and I like very hot showers). I am also the dish-washer on our boat, and I use hot water each time.

I should mention that we each use no more than 2 gallons of water for a shower. It's plenty. Since the mix is probably 1/4 of that from the heater and the rest is cold water, why would we need a larger heater?

If you need more hot water on rare occasion, just fire up gen or engine and you'll have it in 10 or 15 minutes.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 22:31   #13

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Do you run a genset or just solar?

To me, the best argument for a higher-wattage element is if you're anchored and using a genset. That's when it's most important to minimize how long it takes to heat up the water. Who wants to run a noisemaker any longer than necessary?

Obviously, the opposite applies for solar. And if you're using shore power, it probably doesn't matter how long it takes.
Gensets usually need to run long enough to charge batteries, anyway, so any hot water heater is easily up to temperature long before batteries are charged.

I would think that power requirement of most any hot water heater is far beyond the limits of power available from nearly any solar installation on a boat, especially if you need to charge batteries also.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 04:49   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmojo View Post
Dangerous on a boat in small enclosed space... there was a lady in Annapolis a number of years ago who died while showering due to a poorly vented propane instant hot water heater. Not saying they can't be made safe, but there is an added risk associated with them.

Propane is used on many boats even though it's inherent dangers are well known.

I would say if unmitigated safety is your goal, sailing/living aboard may not be for you.
Pete17C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 07:27   #15

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Fit a thermostatic mixer at the tank and your hot water will last much longer. You can also turn it down to really stretch out the tank.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water