Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2009, 15:45   #1

to MaxProp owners & gurus - need advice

after doing some research have decided to buy a MaxProp.
But: received a feedback from a good friend of mine:

Quote:
I had a 2-blade Maxprop.
... It fell off one day, which made me very happy.
... The big problem with the Maxprop was that it regularly opened when we were racing and knocked 2-3 knots off our speed. It happened with 2 different boats, with different blade settings. ...
... and nothing would make it close again.
I asked a salesman at boat show">Annapolis Boat Show about it and he admitted that it happens but he did not know why.
Many thanks in advance for comments and opinions
vacendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 15:51   #2

Hmmm, dont know anything about a 2 blade max prop, but your friend must be confused on the brand, a 3 blade max prop feathers and does not fold. The are the proven product that is out there. I have purchased 2 new for boats I've had and also had used ones on 3 used boats. None have ever failed or had any problems.... other than barnacles! The Autoprops will wear out bearings I've heard.....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 16:31   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
.... other than barnacles! The Autoprops will wear out bearings I've heard.....
Is Autoprop the same thing as Variprop? I have recently started evaluating the feathering/folding props with the thought of purchasing one perhaps late this year. Out of several I did find on-line, Variprop seemed to be the best fit for my Beneteau 461; I'd really like to hear the weaknesses this prop before paying big $$$s..

Cheers!

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 16:46   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post
Is Autoprop the same thing as Variprop? I have recently started evaluating the feathering/folding props with the thought of purchasing one perhaps late this year. Out of several I did find on-line, Variprop seemed to be the best fit for my Beneteau 461; I'd really like to hear the weaknesses this prop before paying big $$$s..

Cheers!

Sailndive

Never mind - I just checked out the Autoprop on-line and I remembered it... Do you guys have any experience with the Variprop though? How does it compare with the Maxprop as the original poster had planned on purchasing?

(I hope you don't mind discussing both props - it seems we would both benefit from the discussion/info. )

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 08:33   #5

I'm not sure what the price comparisons are, but the Max Prop is a well proven product. The one thing about a Max Prop is that if your boat is smaller and doesnt require a very big prop, then the hub size of the Max Prop leaves less space for the actual propellor blades. I have never heard issues with this though. I have also found that unless sailing fast, you may have to put your transmission in gear to get the Max to feather to a neutral position. This is probably a function of how long it has been since it was lubricated. The Max has great thrust in reverse also which is nice for docking situations.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 09:10   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacendak View Post

Makes no sense to me for a couple of reasons:

props don't "fall off" unless something is drastically wrong to begin with;

no prop will cut boat speed by 2-3 knots.

Properly maintained, a Maxprop will always feather quickly and would serve you well as would a number of other feathering/folding props, each has some pluses and minuses but any are preferable to a fixed-blade prop.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 14:40   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacendak View Post

We had the standard folding propeller on our boat and the performance was poor in forward and almost non-existent in reverse.

We installed a 2 balde max prop and it has been the single best upgrade to our boat ever. We picked up about 2 knots in forward drive.

As pointed out there have been a couple of time the prop did not fold but a quick push into reverse and then neutral always fixed that.

As for falling off, I coudn't imagine how it could with the installation method for the Volvo saildrive.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote