Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2014, 19:31   #1

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
TMC 40P harsh shifting into forward

Out boat has a 30 hp Mitsubishi engine fitted with a Technodrive TMC 40P transmission. We purchased this boat a few months back with 19 hours on the engine. We put another 50 hours on it delivering it home. I noticed the engine had a lot of vibration when it was at idle during the delivery trip. Once we reached home I soon discovered that the front engine mounts were (recently) loose at the stud, and one of the rear engine mounts had never actually been correctly tightened. Because the rear engine mounts were corroded (another story!) I was unable to tighten the rear loose mount. I ordered a couple of replacement mounts from the agent, but they didn't have the exact one's in stock and sent me a different type with the assurance that "they would be suitable".

I replaced the rear engine mounts with much swearing and cursing and re-aligned the engine to the shaft. Everything seems fine, except the transmission now makes a loud click / light clunk noise when engaging forward gear. Engaging reverse remains smooth and silent. The noise is there and remains the same regardless of whether I shift super slow or super fast. I should also mention at this point that our last leg of the delivery involved a brisk 12 hour session of motoring, which was much longer than any prior session by a factor of 4.

So now I'm scratching my head and not sure if this is something normal for this box after some wear in (and it is possible the shaft was misaligned before the mounts were replaced), or if the mounts are having an affect or if I've botched up the prop alignment. So far I've changed the oil and tried with disconnected throttle without change. Just wondering if anyone might be able to give a heads up firstly, if this is a problem and secondly, if it is then what's a likely culprit?
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 18:27   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: TMC 40P harsh shifting into forward

No one?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo..... ......................................!!!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote