Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 28-06-2006, 11:03   #1

Re-Sell Me on GFO Packing

Okay so my boatyard debacle continues and I need a new shaft. While installing the packing into the nut my mechanic said he wasnt a big fan. I t old him I would like to use it anyway. I know people can be prejudiced about these kinds of things. He told me a boat he recently worked on had something like it and could never get it to stop leaking.

Today he reiterated his concern. And pointed out that the package said the packing is only warrantied for 1 year. He said he has never seen a warranty on packing and has seen flax packing that worked for 15 years on a boat before.

then he pulled some packing he had lying around in the shop and it looked identical to the GFO packing I have. didnt look damaged looked just fine. He said the trawler they were working on across the yard had installed that packing just 4 months prior and could never get it to stop leaking.

I know this guy and ha ve worked with him extensively and believe he is just trying to sell me on what he believes in best. So, I was hoping folks could help me reasses my decision to stick with the GFO packing. If anybody is wondering what it is you can buy it here...

http://www.gore.com/en_xx/products/sealants/packing/gfo_packing_fiber.html

Thanks in advance
Adam Yuret
s/v Estrella
Magellan 36' Ketch
www.sailestrella.com
AdamY is offline   Reply With Quote