Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2022, 12:54   #1

Boat: C&C Red Wing 35'
How To Patch a hole on Atomic 4 Gas Engine

I’m not a mechanic but sailing with an old sailboat with an old engine and liveaboard, I’m definitely need to learn and deal with it. It is an old model Atomic 4 gasoline engine. Recently has a cranking sound while cruising and when I inspecting it, found a hole not far from alternator and the oil is splitting from it. I try to run the engine for a few miles with cloths stuffing the hole and I’m still doing 3-4 knots, but of course, I’m burning and leaking oil like nobody’s business. At first I was thinking to just patch that big hole to prevent the oil splitting. But after talking to some mechanic (and sounds like they do get the ideas from Moyer Marine), say that I should patch the tiny hole on the cylinder inside the hole to prevent oil leaking, not the big hole from what we seen (refer picture or video below)

My question is:
1. If patching a big hole on the engine, anyone has experience on this? What material you use?
2. Anyone know what is the hole inside the cylinder? Any idea how to stuff/patch that hole? (I try to search for the correct name of the cylinder or detail picture online, no luck for it. The engine user manual is old and not helpful)
3. If you watch the video, notice that there’s a black rod at the Center that the bottom with a half round shape that making noise. I believe this is what they call piston/rod set. (Correct me if I’m wrong), and base on my research, it looks like that piston were broken and therefore making the cranking noise. Just my guess.

Anyone with any ideas or experience please share. It would be very helpful. I’m seriously looking for option to send to boat works repair or professional mechanic. The trouble is I’ve been talking to so many boat workshops in different location, they are all full and no longer able to take in any new cases.

Currently on anchorage at NC. Thanks.

Video Link:
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CavHFst..._web_copy_link
Vanessallj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 13:05   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: How To Patch a hole on Atomic 4 Gas Engine

Call Moyers Marine.

They love to talk Atomic 4's and will help.

I almost bought a boat a few years ago with one that I was going to replace with a Moyer's Rebuilt A4. I called them to set it up but the boat just had too many problems.

https://moyermarine.com/

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 13:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessallj View Post
Recently has a cranking sound while cruising and when I inspecting it, found a hole not far from alternator and the oil is splitting from it.
You could try riveting a plate over the hole with some high temp sealant. New motor or replace the engine block is the only viable fix.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 14:18   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Something hit the inside of that block and pretty damn hard.
I'd guess you've thrown a rod and continuing to run it has done a lot of other internal damage.
I'd start looking for a new engine.
Old 05-03-2022, 14:22   #5

Boat: O'Day 40

Big holes in a cast iron block don't just happen!

It's hard to tell from the picture but it looks like a connecting rod poked the hole in the block.

If so, you're not going to fix it with a patch.

I've had a hole like that repaired on a very expensive diesel block but you're best bet is a new motor. It's a perfect time to look at a diesel and I think one of the manufacturers supplies a "drop in".
Old 05-03-2022, 14:24   #6

Boat: O'Day 40

Yup, you can see a bare crankshaft journal. Thrown rod, beyond a reasonable repair.
Old 05-03-2022, 15:11   #7

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I'd guess you've thrown a rod and continuing to run it has done a lot of other internal damage.
When I got to the third Pic I gasped "Is that the crank?!?" then when I watched the video what looked like a rod end was waving back and forth. I'd also suspect a rod thrown in a most spectacular manner.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 16:32   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I recall A-4 experts telling me (years ago) that if you tried to run A-4 engines anywhere near their rated HP and RPM something like this would surely happen.

Wonder how hard this engine had been run?

And for the record, I also believe the engine is not worth repairing.

Jim
Old 06-03-2022, 06:47   #9

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I recall A-4 experts telling me (years ago) that if you tried to run A-4 engines anywhere near their rated HP and RPM something like this would surely happen.

Wonder how hard this engine had been run?

And for the record, I also believe the engine is not worth repairing.

Jim
Aw hell Jim, the engine still runs. Just throw a bunch of JB Weld over the hole and keep the RPMs down
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:49   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

I hope you treat any new engine with greater respect and preventive maintenance than this one apparently has had either before or after your ownership.

Follow a maintenance schedule.

Examine the engine and compartment before and after any long (6 hrs or more) run.

Check fluids at above checkpoints.

Put wrenches or other proper tool on hose and belts regularly especially before long runs.

Clean off salt water quickly and touch-up paint as needed to stay ahead of rust.

Replace wet exhaust elbows regularly - interval depends on whether you do Fresh water flushes when boat is going to sit for periods of time between use. Typically 4 yrs or a little longer without flush - longer if flushed.

JB Weld is great stuff but you can not rebuild an engine block with it. Patch as small hole as a temp get home fix can often be great.

Remember a boat is not a car.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:04   #11

Boat: Columbia 9.6 meter

That is categorically what we call a “thrown rod”, which caused the hole, and is seen inside rattling around.
Also seen is water dripping, so no doubt the water jacket is punctured. Consider the block destroyed.

There was no doubt a loud noise when this happened and I wouldn’t be surprised if you were experiencing increased vibration and rattling noise while running after the failure event.
If you continue to run it, you will be fortunate if it seizes up in a safe location away from navigation hazards, but a worse case would be that the engine catches fire from being lubricated by oil/water mix, and you would then need to fight fire or abandon ship.
Please stay put and call for a tow to services.
~ 9.6
Ninedotsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:43   #12

Boat: Columbia 9.6 meter

[QUOTE=Vanessallj;3587374].......................

Since you are in NC, and at anchor, you are not far from BetamarineUSA in Arapahoe, NC.

They offer drop-in replacements for A-4, and can probably arrange contact with a yard that can handle the refit.

I have always talked to Stanley over the years. Super helpful.

(252) 249-2473
Toll Free: (877) 227-2473
info@betamarineusa.com

Or, you can try this guy, I see his work, but don't know about travel and shipping tools:
https://youtu.be/9mTWic4qgm4

Cheers ~ 9.6
Ninedotsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:00   #13

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessallj View Post
I’m not a mechanic but sailing with an old sailboat with an old engine and liveaboard, I’m definitely need to learn and deal with it. It is an old model Atomic 4 gasoline engine. Recently has a cranking sound while cruising and when I inspecting it, found a hole not far from alternator and the oil is splitting from it. I try to run the engine for a few miles with cloths stuffing the hole and I’m still doing 3-4 knots, but of course, I’m burning and leaking oil like nobody’s business. At first I was thinking to just patch that big hole to prevent the oil splitting. But after talking to some mechanic (and sounds like they do get the ideas from Moyer Marine), say that I should patch the tiny hole on the cylinder inside the hole to prevent oil leaking, not the big hole from what we seen (refer picture or video below)

My question is:
1. If patching a big hole on the engine, anyone has experience on this? What material you use?
2. Anyone know what is the hole inside the cylinder? Any idea how to stuff/patch that hole? (I try to search for the correct name of the cylinder or detail picture online, no luck for it. The engine user manual is old and not helpful)
3. If you watch the video, notice that there’s a black rod at the Center that the bottom with a half round shape that making noise. I believe this is what they call piston/rod set. (Correct me if I’m wrong), and base on my research, it looks like that piston were broken and therefore making the cranking noise. Just my guess.

Anyone with any ideas or experience please share. It would be very helpful. I’m seriously looking for option to send to boat works repair or professional mechanic. The trouble is I’ve been talking to so many boat workshops in different location, they are all full and no longer able to take in any new cases.

Video Link:
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CavHFst..._web_copy_link
What?
That hole?
That's just your crankshaft journal peeking out of the engine block.
That hole is a compromised block, not serviceable.
The oil spitting out is, well, not supposed to.
That thing even run?
Probably, but not for long in this shape.
Don't bother!
IMHO
And please don't pump your bilge.
Boatyarddog
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:18   #14

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

I see a new motor in your future. That is a thrown rod that punched a hole in the block. Cheaper to replace than to fix.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 10:56   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
The last pic. looking through the hole, appears to show a rod journal with no rod?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atomic 4 gasoline engine, Atomic A4, engine