Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2020, 13:42   #1

Boat: Hanse 320
Flex-o-fold protective coating

I am a new owner of a sailboat that came with 2 blade flex-o-fold prop. It is 10 years old and is in great shape. It had greenish transparent film/coating. Some of it came off from wear,etc. In the places where it came off i barnacles started sticking but it's not bad yet. I am trying to find the name of what that protective coat of film (like varnish) is. It is not a paint or zinc. It is pretty transparent but has green tone to it. Does anyone know what it is?
vechnyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 14:04   #2

Boat: 2010 Lagoon 421
Re: Flex-o-fold protective coating

Yellowish rather than green, but PropSpeed?
BigNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 14:22   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Prop Speed and Prop Gold are similar products that agree with your description. Both are available here in Oz, dunno about your location. I've had similar results from both products, and believe them to be the best means of avoiding growth on props.

Jim
Old 11-01-2020, 14:57   #4

Perfect. Thank you!

p.s. didnt expect it to cost this much but the results are obvious. Oh well, there goes 1/4 of a boat unit.
Old 11-01-2020, 14:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Prop Speed and Prop Gold are similar products that agree with your description. Both are available here in Oz, dunno about your location. I've had similar results from both products, and believe them to be the best means of avoiding growth on props.

Jim
Jim, PropGold or PropGlide??
Old 11-01-2020, 16:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vechnyak View Post
Jim, PropGold or PropGlide??
Yep, Prop Gold... except that they have renamed the product as Prop One. Go figger... same product, new name, but why ??

There are some other similar products around the world, but these two are the ones that I have personal (and successful) experience with.

Around here it is sold in rather large packs, enough for quite a few small yacht prop applications, and the kit price is eyewatering. I've been able to approach shipwrights or boatyards and have them sell me just enough for one application. Here in Oz that goes for around 30 AUD or 20 USD.

If you DIY, do read and follow the instructions carefully. The need for surface prep and especially cleanliness, and the timing of the final coat is well demonstrated. Failing to do t his has lead to some failing coatings and blame being pointed at the mfg. It's a long way from rocket science and we've not had any issues ourselves.

Jim
Old 11-01-2020, 18:31   #7

Thanks...I'll look into it. After your post I found this product by just googling for propspeed

https://www.bottompaintstore.com/Pro...e-Sailboat-Kit

They are all expensive but I guess some are a bit less.

I am on the East Coast of US by the way.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:50   #8

Boat: Pacific Mariner 65

We've used PropSpeed on our Flex-o-fold prop in the past. As you say, it's expensive. But it does work well. We were at the boat show">Miami Boat Show in February and spoke with the representative for PropGlide. We've decided to give it a try, since it is less expensive but purported to do the same thing. They have 10% off right now at BottomPaintStore.com using PROPGLIDE as the coupon code, and through today offer free shipping. Just placed my order . . .
rockerdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:01   #9

The issue with prop speed is price , correct application and availability

The typical Marine store prop coating works and are available everywhere

Your choice
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:24   #10

After some recommendations I went with PropOne. Followed the directions exactly and very carefully. I did not expect to have the final surface so grippy and so rubbery. I contacted the company and they promptly replied that because this is silicone it does indeed have these properties but will be slippery when submerged. I am fine with that I guess but my concern is that this coating is not very durable. I cant imagine how it will survive on the prop?? Eli Green, who replied to my email says I should get 1-2 years out of it...
Old 12-03-2020, 14:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vechnyak View Post
After some recommendations I went with PropOne. Followed the directions exactly and very carefully. I did not expect to have the final surface so grippy and so rubbery. I contacted the company and they promptly replied that because this is silicone it does indeed have these properties but will be slippery when submerged. I am fine with that I guess but my concern is that this coating is not very durable. I cant imagine how it will survive on the prop?? Eli Green, who replied to my email says I should get 1-2 years out of it...
We have consistently had a full year of complete success... no adhesions that won't come off from use or wiping with a sponge. By the end of the second year the coatings are failing to some degree, less slick, missing in small areas, but still providing some protection.

I don't know if it is a time related failure or a use related failure. We are full time cruisers and likely use the boat more than most, fwiw.

Jim
Old 11-08-2020, 08:54   #12

Boat: Outremer 51

Our PropOne is about 6 months old, maybe 50 hr of engine running time at 2000 rpm and 2.19:1 gear ratio. It's worn away in lots of places, sort of a speckled pattern (no big chunks) and we haven't had any blunt trauma to damage it. It does work well.. but 1 year would be surprising to me! Others tell me similar, 6 months is about it. However, they had a boatyard apply the coating.. Maybe they put it on thin? I am ordering PropGlide to try out as it is much cheaper.
cooties is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rot