Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2018, 12:00   #1

Boat: Sabre 34
Carrying a spare prop?

Not going very far off shore. Trip from Annapolis to Charleston via ICW with an occasional run outside.

New to me boat came with a spare propeller sitting in aft cabin shelf cabinet. Is that really a needed spare to have onboard? The thought of that hunk of metal getting tossed around in heavy weather makes me cringe. Should I just put it in the garage until needed? I don't see a scenario where I will be changing a prop by myself while in the water.

Any thoughts?
Alex_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:08   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Carrying a spare prop?

Power or Sail? Single engine?

Esp w single screw, Id feel a lot better abour carrying one. If you damage your one and only prop then at least you have an option.

Got tools needed to change it? Most are not hard to change in water.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:14   #3

Its for a sailboat - Sabre 34 with an offset prop shaft. I haven't practiced swimming or diving while holding a prop )) Have plenty of tools onboard, just thinking if I damage a prop and have to change it in the water I screwed up pretty bad. Would probably rather go under sail, or get a tow at that point.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:18   #4

Boat: Island Packet 370

A friend of ours spent a few days tied up in a marina waiting for a float plane to deliver a replacement after a blade broke off due to metal fatigue. You don't get to shop around much for a replacement when that happens. If you have the room I would be keeping it in the boat. Even if you can't put it on under the water you can usually find a diver in the area.
njoynthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:22   #5

Dont get me wrong, I like the idea of having as many spares as possible. Its the thought of that heavy chunk of metal busting through a shelf door, and being loose in the cabin if bad weather strikes worries me.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:29   #6

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_V View Post
Dont get me wrong, I like the idea of having as many spares as possible. Its the thought of that heavy chunk of metal busting through a shelf door, and being loose in the cabin if bad weather strikes worries me.
Bubble wrap with a plastic bag over that and keep it in the bilge.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:33   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Just secure the thing properly so it cant fly around. Hell, I carry my two old fixed blade props, plus spare blades for my Kiwi Props...guess I could ditch one of the old fixed blades. Twin engine sail so loads of redundancy. [emoji6]

At least with sail you do have inherent redundancy and a plan B should prop/engine fail, but really, its no big deal to carry a spare prop, just secure it...I mean really... how much other crap do you have on the boat that could fly around?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 13:26   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Since you aren’t going very far and will seemingly always be within a phone call to Boat US and Seatow. I’d say leave it at home.
You can’t change one yourself and worst case sounds like your one day away by rental car to fetch the spare.
I carry a puller and a Hooka and Scuba gear, so I keep my spare on board
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 13:56   #9

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

My spare lives happily in the compartment under my lowest companionway step.. If you get into weather that can shake it loose from there, well, I guess you will have lots to worry about.
Old 09-05-2018, 16:54   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Alex V,

I'd guess the PO of your boat put it where you could easily see it. Something like that would usually be secured low down in the boat, in a hard to get to place (because you ARE unlikely to need it.)

For me, taking the spare prop with you makes sense: as mentioned above, even if you're not a diver yourself, most places you will be able to find someone you can hire. For me, the convenience of having it should something happen, the speedier recovery would make it worthwhile; but I would not be counting on Sea Tow, either. Sure you could sail to your destination, but most marinas do not allow you to sail in and out of them unless you're a dinghy.

For you, perhaps it will depend on how far afield you really plan to go, and how self-reliant you want to be. I would also suggest a dive class, or snorkeling, at least. There's some really neat sea life to observe from in the water. And, some places you can free dive spearfishing, and developing that skill means you can feed yourself, at least part of the time.

Ann
Old 10-05-2018, 09:19   #11

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

The chances are that you will not need it until you do not have it with you .
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:30   #12

Boat: Tartan30
Smile Re: Carrying a spare prop?

As has been said....I think you might be quite upset when you had shell out hundreds of dollars for a replacement, knowing you have a spare sitting home in the garage.
Then there is the idea that the solution to a lost prop is " I will just sail it".
The AICW is a narrow ditch that is not very conducive to actual sailing. Wrong wind direction, no wind, strong tidal currents, narrow channel passing barges, dealing with Locks, and draw bridges ( I think it is illeagal to sail thru a draw bridge or a Lock), shoaling..........ALL make sailing in the AICW a real challenge.
I have actually SAILED the section between St. Marys GA and Beaufort SC in a 30 foot sailboat with no engine, and while I am proud I pulled it off, it is nothing I ever want to do again.
Having to run any of the Usable Inlets along the East Coast without a prop, would be very very ugly, and one might have to wait days before the wind and tide would allow it at all.
Sooooo..........take the damned prop!......lol
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:42   #13

Boat: Boatless

Keep it onboard and have the tools to change it.

Prudent

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:53   #14
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Regarding outboards: Yes, if it is the sort with a rubber hub. All you need to do is wind up a crab float and the hub will spin. They can be re-built, but a spare will get you home. I've spun several over the years.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:55   #15

More likely to be needed is a dinghy spare prop.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote