Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 09:38   #1

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'
Spare Prop Question

I'm preparing to leave on a multi year trip through the Bahamas south through the Eastern Caribbean using the island hopping strategy described in the Bruce Van Sant books.

I have a Max Prop 2 blade prop that works well on my boat. I have had several people suggest it might be a good idea to have a spare standard prop. They suggest that this 2 blade is more likely to be seriously damaged than a 3 blade fixed prop.

I have a spare prop shaft because I had a new one made because the old one had some deterioration under the zinc.

1. Is the concern of the feathering prop being more likely to be severely damaged appropriate, so should I have a spare ?

I have been given a used prop that fits the shaft. It is from a boat with the same horsepower engine and similar boat weight. He sold the boat and didn't have the transmission gear increase. It is a 12" fixed pitch prop although I have no info on the pitch.

2. Is this prop likely to work in a pinch, in other words get the boat to some place where I can leave the boat while I get a repair or replacement max prop?

On my boat it would be relatively easy to change the prop in the water.

3. Is there a website or someplace where I can figure out what fixed prop would be proper for my boat?

Thanks
Old 26-11-2013, 09:42   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Spare Prop Question

If you have an existing spare that fits on the shaft, then I wouldn't spend any more money on it. It will work in a pinch as is and get you home. It is very unlikely to be used on the trip. MaxProps are very reliable.
Old 26-11-2013, 09:45   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Know also that in some Max Prop installations, it is necessary to cut the end of the prop shaft off, meaning that when you replace the Max Prop with a fixed-blade prop, there may not be enough exposed threaded shaft end to get two nuts on. It certainly means there will be no place to insert a cotter pin.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2013, 09:53   #4

Boat: Swan, 1968, 36'

Both good info.

I feel like I have this covered than.

I will check and make sure the spare prop will fit with the used shaft.

I can check this off the list.

Thanks