Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2017, 11:22   #16

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Women in Boats..and how to become one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanderthal View Post
She's not wrong, though. Why would a guy on a boating forum care enough to comment on why a woman wants a service she willingly buys on the open market? Or more precisely...why would the same guy repeatedly 'care' on multiple threads relating to increasing the number of female sailors? Probably not because he's looking for gentle words and persuasive essays.

It is a mistake to think all men are dicks and all women are in need of supportive environments--the converse is equally a mistake.
I'm not saying she's wrong, so much as that you usually get better results by teaching with the carrot than with the stick (commenting on their unknown to them, insensitivity). In this specific instance teaching men why a lot of women respond better to different types of teaching techniques than men do. And I say this having been actively recruited to teach women to sail, including up to the America's Cup level. So I'm aware of some of the differences, even if I am a touch rusty on them at the moment. But you'd be amazed at how many sailing instructors are only vaguely aware of such things. Even if they've been teaching for years.

There's a huge amount of info on this stuff in the post which I linked above.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:02   #17

Boat: offshore 8 meter

[QUOTE=Hobiehobie;2409481]Wanted to give you sailing ladies, or wannabe sailing ladies, a heads-up.

The irrepressible Pam Wall, circumnavigator, sailing Mom, mentor to thousands and great friend, is hosting another Women on the Water Week early 2018. She is determined to teach and inspire women to take to the water and feel confident on a sail boat and she will do so in a testosterone-free, supportive environment. Check out her blog...and sign up!

Another Women on the Water Week with Pam Wall at Bitter End Yacht Club – February 6 through February 11, 2018[/QUOTEonly my opinion but i think laura dekker is the most inspirational young sailor of present times she has some good talks on utube,
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 12:13   #18

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

There is no question in my mind that women learn differently than men. Having taught skiing to both sexes for a number of years, the approach must be tempered to the individual keeping in mind their learning style and what they are most comfortable with.
I taught my partner how to sail and early on she asked why do I need to learn this stuff?
I replied that it was a self preservation move on my part. If I go overboard, I want you to know how to come back and get me or if I die, you need to know how to get the boat, yourself and my remains back to port.
She thought for a minute, looked at me quizzically and said, "...that makes sense!"
Now she is a better boat handler than I am!
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 13:06   #19

Boat: 1989 Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
There is no question in my mind that women learn differently than men. Having taught skiing to both sexes for a number of years, the approach must be tempered to the individual keeping in mind their learning style and what they are most comfortable with.
I taught my partner how to sail and early on she asked why do I need to learn this stuff?
I replied that it was a self preservation move on my part. If I go overboard, I want you to know how to come back and get me or if I die, you need to know how to get the boat, yourself and my remains back to port.
She thought for a minute, looked at me quizzically and said, "...that makes sense!"
Now she is a better boat handler than I am!
If tailoring teaching to the subgroup of women with specific learning preferences gets more women sailing, 100% support it. Go Pam Wall!

The practicality and power of acquiring knowledge and skills cannot be overstated. Hey, we humans aren't apex predators because of our thick skins, dense muscle, and mighty talons!

turtletraveling.com
Meanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 13:46   #20

Boat: Hylas 54

Hey people, I posted because its a fun bunch of women sailing for a week in the Virgin Islands and drinking every night without kids, partners, husbands, or careers to manage! Same as guys going for a golfing trip, a stag party, (or the republican party, come to think of it!)

No biggie. And Pam is one of the best sailors around, with more miles under her belt than most.

So chill, tell your female chums and have a blast.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 13:55   #21

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Thanks for the heads up, Hobie. It sure looks like a lot of fun!
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 14:02   #22

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

WOW. Talk about a thread that took a wrong turn.

I personally thank you for putting this out there. I read the original post shortly after it was posted and immediately sent the info to my wife. I would love for her to go have an enjoyable "girls" trip and at the same time learn more about sailing and gain skills and confidence. I see nothing but positives in this.

I personally support anything that gets more people involved in sailing. Regardless of gender or discipline.

Thanks, and here's to hoping my wife takes advantage of this opportunity for some gender orientated, girl focused learning and fun.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 14:58   #23

Boat: Jeanneau 371

35 years ago I learned to sailed a dinghy with no instruction. My wife, a teacher wanted to know how to sail properly. We booked in to the National Sailing Centre in Cowes and had a "ball". We did our Yacht masters and a J24 racing course. The yacht master instructor was a lady who suggested my wife sailed as a skipper on her own so as not to rely on me. She became a very competent skipper with her "ocean" qualification. She also crewed on our quarter tonner as navigator and helm. We won the bay series 4 years running thanks to the info gained at Cowes. I'm all for lady sailors, 'cos when they are good they are very very good.
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 15:33   #24
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimSails View Post
Some of the responses from men to this thread show exactly why many women would appreciate a women-only sailing class.
Exactly.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 16:07   #25
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Hi Hobie
This is tongue in cheek as I am all for everyone enjoying themselves,

...but I wonder...... if I were to gender reverse your post, how well do you think the Admiralty would receive it?

see below the full cap changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post

Hey people, I posted because its a fun bunch of MEN sailing for a week in the PHILIPPINE Islands and drinking every night without kids, partners, WIVES, or careers to manage! Same as WOMEN going for a golfing trip, a WEEK LONG BRIDAL party,......etc...

No biggie.!....
[emoji56]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 16:39   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Some women prefer to sail without men...... Most women I know enjoy learning to sail in a testosterone free zone.
This is a pretty sexist comment when you think about it. I am not... or try not to be sexist. I judge... if I can use the word... on a person's competency... I am incompetent at make up... beauty... dancing... fashion to name a few... I am pretty competent at my profession... building things... fixing things... and so on.

Sailing requires a fair amount of technical skills manual competency... a bit of strength, intelligence and awareness of the environment and how things work.

I know women who are just that. I also know women who don't know what a pump does... what the hypotenuse of a triangle is... but are incredible artists or musicians or dancers... and wonderful human beings. Someone who wants to sail needs the right stuff... not to be in an environment without males so they can learn. That is BS.

I personally couldn't care less what gender teaches me things... I am interested in their teaching ability and knowledge of the subject.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 16:42   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
Hey people, I posted because its a fun bunch of women sailing for a week in the Virgin Islands and drinking every night without kids, partners, husbands, or careers to manage! Same as guys going for a golfing trip, a stag party, (or the republican party, come to think of it!)

No biggie. And Pam is one of the best sailors around, with more miles under her belt than most.

So chill, tell your female chums and have a blast.
Guess what Hobie.... not all men go for the boys out thing.. drinking, chasing women and escaping their families....

WOW just WOW...

When you sleep with dogs you wake up with fleas...
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 18:50   #28

Boat: Hylas 54

Must say I am a bit taken aback by the vitriol this topic has uncovered, but thanks to all for keeping it at the top of the thread!

WOW

Out.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 20:21   #29

Wow. For a long time lurker, this is my first post and all I can think to say is WOW. When I took my 103/104 combined course, and pointed out a FINE looking monohull on the dock, my instructor pointed out that the owner (male) was single. Yes, I am a female, but I can afford to buy my own F#n boat and I'm married! I was asked several times why my husband wasn't taking the course. Uh, because he doesn't need to and I'm the one that wants to buy a boat? I know what a hypotenuse is, by the way. I make six figures and I want the boat. Not my hubby, but I'm pretty sure I can convince him. He can fish off a sailboat but I can't sail with a bass boat. Oh, and I'd LOVE to take Pam's class except that I've already got a Cat lined up for next week and can't justify two trips to the BVIs in one fiscal year.
picklemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 20:44   #30

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

"Wow" meaning what exactly? Seriously, I have zero idea what you mean. And am curious to know.
Also, why the resume, as well as your sailing instruction anecdotes? Gender specific type to be exact.

I've sailed with women since I was a kid, & knew it was a boy's club then, & was even when I worked at America Cubed in '95 (the women's team). But on the boats I've been on, folks get judged & assigned by their abilites, period. Professional boats, & amateur. The same's true when teaching saiing, & my best mate's run a sailing school for 30yrs. It's gender neutral, & if anything geared towards getting couples to be on equivalent skill levels. This since late 80's since he & his dad started it when he was in his teens.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men