Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2023, 12:23   #1

Boat: not yet, too soon
Slow but steady progress

Hi all,
My story isn't all that interesting but thought I would post my update in case I could get the boot for inactivity. I posted a "meet and greet" back in April. My wife and I had just signed up for lessons with a local sailing club. I knew going into it that my work schedule would keep us from sailing as much as we wanted but what a great time we had when we could get out.

I had spent over 2 years researching everything I could find on sailing. During that time, every time I came to information on racing I either breezed over it or skipped it. (figured I needed to learn to sail before I worried about racing) We had to miss our introductory on-water class for our daughters soccer game so I reached out to the instructor and asked how to make it up, he told us to come out Thursday evening and he would get us up to speed and sign off on intro class. Turned out Thursday is practice racing night. The one thing I skipped in all my reading and we start on the race course. IRONY!

Had a blast, took our classes, passed and now have access to the fleet of interlake 18s on the modest inland lake here just North of Ann Arbor. Managed to get out on the water a dozen times this year, not exactly an impressive sailing resume but its 12 more times than I sailed last year.

We had the great opportunity to get out on Lake St. Clair one day for an introduction to the "level 2" boats. (2 catalinas, a 28 and a 30) Of the roughly 3 hour sail I had the helm for about 1.5 hours. 10-12knt wind, gusts up to 18. Heeled over hard doing 6.5-7.5 knots. Didn't expect it to be so difficult to fight weather helm in those gusts but still couldn't wipe the grin off my face the rest of the week.

Anyway, getting cold here now, boats are out of the water. My first sailing season is behind me. I have a long way to go but can't wait till April to start sailing again. I think we're hooked.

Thanks for letting me ramble,
Ty
Astrochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 12:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: Slow but steady progress

Sounds like your first sailing season was a good one. Congrats! Regarding your Thursday make-up session, I've found again and again that when my original plans and schedules did not work out, the alternatives created opportunities for some amazing experiences.

No need to worry about your account getting removed for inactivity.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2023, 12:56   #3

Good to know, thank you.

Yes, as intimidated as I was by the thought of racing already, I plan to spend the winter studying as much as I can and hopefully be a threat on the course next year. And not the a threat of collision.
Old 13-10-2023, 13:03   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, racing on other people's boats is a great way to get some of the rules of the road as it were down pat, and about sail trim, and about good versus less good skippering. It will also show you and your wife different layouts, especially as you move up in size.

I'm hoping it is being as much fun for your good lady as it is for you. Having it be fun for her too, is critically important, if there is to be much future for her in it.

Ann
Old 13-10-2023, 13:23   #5

Absolutely, but she's a different story. She (Chris) has actually gotten what she wanted out or the program. She learned the terminology, and the method of actually sailing. She likes to be crew. (eventually wants to spend more time enjoying the sail than sailing) But we wanted to make sure she actually enjoys it and has the knowhow to do it if she needs to.

She is very excited about the journey. She did very well, actually cleaner than me on MOB drills most of the time. So I feel confident that, if I were to go for an unexpected swim, she could come back and get me. Unless she was the one who put me in the water... than I'm confident that she could sail off and live on the life insurance payout.

All jokes aside, she stressed about the tests, struggled with a few of the knots but did very well and I catch her looking at boats on craigslist periodically. She declined to take the helm the day on the 30 footer. Said she was scared. I was worried she wasn't enjoying it. I asked in the car after and she said she loved it. Spent the whole time imagining how much better it will be when we can go out on our own boat, without strangers and go where we want for as long as we want. There's no denying it, she's as hooked as I am and we have always worked very well as a team (30+ years, so far) so I'm hopeful that sailing will just be one our new adventures for a long time.

Cheers,
Ty
Old 13-10-2023, 18:27   #6

Boat: Sabre 402

Sounds like you are going about things the right way - having a good time. Congrats and fair winds to you!
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote