Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2021, 05:32   #1

RYA Yachtmaster Oceans

Hi Everyone!

This is my first post on the form so I am excited to see your responses!

I will soon be doing my RYA Yachtmaster Oceans and I am very stressed.

Does anyone have any feedback, tips, notes or any help that will be of use for the entirety of the course including the exam?

I did my Offshore back in 2015 and have not put my skills to use since then as I pursued a different type of career in yachting. I am afraid that I will be very rusty for the course and exam.

Thank you in advance!

Happy sailing!

Rob
CaptRobZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:20   #2

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord
Re: RYA Yachtmaster Oceans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRobZA View Post
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post on the form so I am excited to see your responses!

I will soon be doing my RYA Yachtmaster Oceans and I am very stressed.

Does anyone have any feedback, tips, notes or any help that will be of use for the entirety of the course including the exam?
I presume from what you write you're talking about the yachtmaster ocean theory course rather than the actual yachtmaster ocean exam which is an oral which you probably wouldn't be doing if you haven't sailed since passing your yachtmaster.

I did my ocean theory more than 10 years ago so things may have changed but the course content was somewhat orthogonal to yachtmaster offshore theory, ie it's different material to yachtmaster offshore/ coast theory so whilst having your primary yachting skillset rusty is not a good thing, it shouldn't necessarily impede taking the ocean theory exam. Why not buy a book like Cunliffe's complete ocean skipper? There's no need to buy a sextant before the course: Hopefully your instructor will have a couple for you to play with and can help you decide whether to go for plastic/metal/split/full mirror.

Do ask yourself whether this is the right time to be doing this though. Ocean theory isn't a qualification in itself, it just lets you skip part of the actual ocean oral and you can't do that until you've done your qualifying passages.

Doing the theory just before doing the qualifying passages would seem to make more sense than doing the course when an intensive spell of brushing up your sailing as well as covid restrictions stand between you and heading off for the qualifying passages.
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celestial navigation, courses, mast, Oceans, rya yachtmaster, training, yacht, yachtmaster